To camp or not to camp?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: To camp or not to camp?

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm

lucky420 wrote:unless you're Lance Armstrong your going to want fat bike tires ala beach cruiser...sorry but it's true :(

< gratuitous lance armstrong joke goes here >
gyre

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:21 pm

shLong wrote:...How important is having a mountain or BMX style bike when it comes to the tires on the playa surface? I snagged and decorated a skinnytire rroad bike for $10. It didn't occur to me that maybe the dust was looser than I may have thought and the tires may sink in and be useless...

Depends on the playa surface, which in turn depends on the year. Skinny road tires are usually not wide enough. Wider tires work better.

When hard packed, skinny road tires are fine. If soft, mini-blown-dunes, or where traffic chews it to dust, you'll bog down and be pushing it. Although sometimes it's the super fine dust and you slide right through. You're only going up to 5 mph, so gearing helps plow through small patches. I had a Kiwanis mountain bike and I brought 2.35" wide Big Apple tires and it still got bogged down in some of the deep spots, so I pushed it until out of that. On some of the roads that meant 50' of pushing, but usually much less.

Here's what the Yellow Bike Program uses:
_DSC7068.jpg

I'm going back with a Fat Bike, so 3.7" to 4" tires.
Overkill for all but the worst, just because.
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=64688#p945474
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah, fat tires. There are sections packed enough for the thin rails but there are many places that are a puddle of dust/sand, and there can devolope some washboards on the roads late in the game. Anyway, in my opinion, you gotta go with the thicker tires......though I've seen plenty of thins out there......

I've made my own 2 man camp every year, out on the edge near 8, plenty enough neighbors, always action to find, and if you are so inclined there are opportunities to participate rearing their head every time you look around. Closer in, more action, reminds me of Gaza or Mos Eisley.

You're thinking enough to have a great time.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby shLong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm

I am thinking too much, I know. I'll still have a great time, regardless, though. So, you're half right :)
But yeah, time to relax and enjoy. I'm more prepared than most virgins anyhow. :)

That was great, so many replies so fast. Super helpful, folks. Much appreciated. I'll leave the road bike at home then. Happy i asked and did t learn that one from experience.

I think we're planning on building a small shade structure for some chairs and company to use.... and I'll probably throw 2 tarps over my tent to completey dark it out and keep it cool.

Thanks again, playa folk.
Time to relax and patiently await our zero hour. :)
shLong

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar & Love Lounge

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm

I'd take a road bike rather than no bike.

There are more options for some rim diameters than others, for larger tires.
gyre

Postby shLong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:05 pm

I own decent mountain bike that I'll bring if I don't Craigslist a cheap one in the meantime.
Obviously I'll need a chain and lock if I bring that one, though. (or any bike for that matter, sadly)

It was $10, so maybe I could bring it as a gift for somebody, assuming they're willing to bring it back so it doesn't become moop)
shLong

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

no I wouldnt bring it as a gift to anyone. It will just take up some needed space and most likely you'll just end up hauling it back home yourself...

nice sentiment though
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Canoe » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:18 pm

The 2.35" big apples are a huge improvement over skinny road tires.
How wide are your mountain bike tires? Better than the 2.35"? (you don't need knobby tires for the playa)
Could be that your $10 bike with new tires are the best bet, and it allows you to keep your nice mtb away from the playa dust.
The Big Apples are rather expensive, but online some places charge a lot less than others and ship cheap with the USPS.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires ... /big_apple

And with the increased interest in Fat Bikes and Cruisers, there are more options out there.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby shLong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Lucky..... Thanks.
If I did, it'd just be on the bike carrier with the bikes him and I are bringing for our own use.
I'd rather it be returned so I knew it wasn't getting placed upon the clean up crew to handle.... and so I could bring it in future trips for more gifting. Or, they could keep it as long as they plan on taking it home with em.

Either way, it'd ride 3000 miles hanging off the back of the car... So it really wouldn't be in the way much.

Canoe wrote:The 2.35" big apples are a huge improvement over skinny road tires.
How wide are your mountain bike tires? Better than the 2.35"? (you don't need knobby tires for the playa)
Could be that your $10 bike with new tires are the best bet, and it allows you to keep your nice mtb away from the playa dust.
The Big Apples are rather expensive, but online some places charge a lot less than others and ship cheap with the USPS.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires ... /big_apple

And with the increased interest in Fat Bikes and Cruisers, there are more options out there.

My current Mt bike tires are approx 1.75 to 2".
The road bike has narrow forks that won't allow fat tires.

More than likely we'll both buy cheap Mt bikes off Craigslist and use those.
shLong

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:05 pm

My trike has been to the playa for 3 yrs.

The tire are 2.125x24.

Last year I got stuck maybe 3 times so I had to drag it 20 feet, no big deal.

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 pm

being in a camp that has one joint meal a day (and it could work for breakfast, lunch or dinner) sounds a solid thing to me--make sure that you eat and touch base every day. 3 meals sounds like you'd never get out of there. And I'm already at "For $200 it better be a pretty damn special camp." (I'd be happy to pay that for Apok, or the Booby Bar, but... )

For what my opinion's worth, anyway.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby shLong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I actually just got a reply on my Craigslist ad.
She's offering a mens 10 speed Mt bike and a womans bike with balloon tires, lol.
Haha, nice coincidence there :)
I'm gonna get the woman's bike for myself and the other for my friend.. Haha, the world worked out for me today

Crypto, it's 200 base with a 3 meal a day add on for another 100.
I really don't want a special more than 100 for a camp. But even then it'd have to shower(s), shade, and hopefully a dinner per night.
shLong

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Shower can be done with baby wipes, spray bottles and the like. (I actually hate showering on the playa. The breezes and water temp is hard to properly regulate.) Food can be done with a rotating duty. If your camp is around 20 people, that's about 7 crews of three for one dinner each. Shade is the absolute necessity--I cannot function without it. Again, those 20 people will have the skills and perhaps materials, and you'd do it all for under $100. If you can find them. Have you talked to the Orphans or Stag Camp?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby shLong » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:00 pm

I haven't even heard of them, but would be interested to hear all my options, so I'll definitely check in to it

Thanks
shLong

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 pm

FIGJAM.... you do not have a swamp cooler on your BIKE....
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby gyre » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:28 pm

I think the term is playa cooler.

Camping in a large, long established camp the fee was $50, and they were apologetic that it had gone up so high.
That mostly covered the 24 hour power grid.

I have seen camps wtih meal arrangements that would be worth $100-200.
They made a special effort, sharing prep.
As mentioned, actually getting back to camp for them is problematic if you're always gone.

Camps using fees for large projects may range into the thousands, but it's not really for camping.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:FIGJAM.... you do not have a swamp cooler on your BIKE....

No!

I have a swamp cooler on my Swiss Army Kamikazi Ashtray! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby PlayaPatrol » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 am

there is no right and wrong way to do it. each has its pros and cons.
theme camp pros: built in camp mates, infrastructure like a kitchen and shower, designated campsite, bars and activities right there. 24 hr party a stumbling distance from bed. Probably closer to other happening camps. Like a frat or sorority.
Cons: $ dues, expectations to work many unpaid hours, may be run by a dictator, not much personal room, temptation to stay at camp all day, if you don't like your campmates your stuck with them, more drama then being alone, may be nosier then solo. Like a frat or sorority.
If youre an independent type go solo. If youve backpacked or car camped before go solo. If you shy away from hard work go solo. If youre poor go solo. If youre more of a group person and can follow rules or youve never car camped/backpacked or youre shy go theme camp.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.
PlayaPatrol

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:47 am

Not all theme camps are like that, including the amount of infrastructure.

The nicer the shower, statistically, the less likely it is to work.
gyre

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 am

gyre wrote:
The nicer the shower, statistically, the less likely it is to work.

The shower, the camp or both?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 am

PlayaPatrol wrote: may be run by a dictator

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:59 am

Showers.
gyre

Postby PlayaPatrol » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 am

gyre wrote:Not all theme camps are like that, including the amount of infrastructure.

No shit, know it all.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.
PlayaPatrol

Previous

Return to 2013 Theme Camps