Destiny Lounge Returns for 2013!

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2013!

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Greetings friends!
Chances are very good that Destiny Lounge will reappear on the playa in 2013 in it's more grand state, rather than the smallish backwater camp we did in 2012. Our camp offers comfy shade and couches, icy lemonade and ice tea each afternoon, great music, Rock Yer Balls (you have to ask?), and probably something new and titillating for this year TBA! Members also enjoy our common kitchen, shower and evap setup, semi private "backstage" area just for us and use of our large tent shade structure.
We are usually a group of 20 - 30 folks, based mainly out of LA with storage and construction in Joshua Tree.

Some would say that trolling for new camp members like this is a bad idea, but I can tell you that I have had wonderful luck with many people in the past. With that said, inquiring does not mean acceptance and we are seeking people dedicated to the camaraderie, fun and work that is a theme camp. If you really don't know what's involved in being a part of a functioning theme camp, I'm happy to fill you in - emphasis on functioning.

We do ask for donations (TBD for this year) to cover our expenses, and meals are NOT included in that. If you're looking for that 24/7 rave camp, a base camp for your 3 day disappearing acts, or someone to hold your hand while you rocket thru the stratosphere or roll around in the dust (or both), please move along. We're far more mellow than that and do not wish for any drama, in any form. Sane, mostly conscious people apply within. Sobriety welcome.

Woofs!

BBD - (Doggy Dave)
Attachments
alesp.36800.jpg
Destiny Lounge in 2009
alesp.36800.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Re: Destiny Lounge Returns for 2013!

Postby winebuff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Sounds very nice. I found a camp a bit ago but would love to meet you and hang out for a drink :D Your camp sounds awesome!
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm

hip, hip...........

yay, BBD always does it right!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks, Yggy! Lixx!

bigbluedoggy

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 am

The camp looks awesome, BBD, I can't wait to come visit you out there!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Killbuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:11 am

Huzzah!!!
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:52 pm

oooh, neighbors???!!!
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Killbuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Well! What has the doggie have to lure the carnies????
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Something lewd and lascivious perhaps... oh wait, that's just me!

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Dum...de dum... *BUMP!*

Oops how did that happen?

bigbluedoggy

Postby tamarakay » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Great camp and soooo much fun! So happy you are back
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Krokodyle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Color me interested. Might this be a good camp for a first time burner?
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 pm

It might be. What do you have to offer and what are you looking for?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Krokodyle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:It might be. What do you have to offer and what are you looking for?

Well, seeing as how this is my first burn, and I've spent some time on eplaya and reading reading reading, I've learned that it's best to take things slow at first and see how they go. There is the 'first time so come and experience and volunteer as you can' line of thinking, and a couple of my burner friends have recommended volunteering at the post office and/or Lamplighters, so I've got that on my possible list.

I guess I am looking for a place where I can call home with types on the more mellow-ish side (I'm slightly older *cough* 40-ish *COUGH COUGH*) who can lend a hand with pretty much anything (I'm good at organizing, average build stuff, assisting where needed, etc.). Being a Birgin, and doing the appropriate research (I've read multiple threads on it), I'm cautious that I don't oversell myself or take on too much my first year. I don't think I'm one to disappear for days, but training wheels for the first day or two might be on my agenda, I'm not sure. I'm trying to steer away from sound camps, yet know the realistic expectation that you can't escape sound completely (I've worked Lark Music camp for a years, so I'm cool with 4am music). I'm conscientious to a fault, and don't know many people so drama is pretty much unheard of.

I am out of the SF Bay Area, so if that's a factor, I can understand. Luckily, my employment is *very* generous when it comes to time off, so I'm planning on taking a full two weeks and make myself available.

I seem to be rambling now...suffice to say that I'm aware it's early in the game to promise things (I still need to obtain a ticket), and that learning and researching is a constant activity. I have NO problems with donations, of course, and eager to help out where it's needed. Whenever I've interacted with any sort of organized group, I've been called a genuine asset, so I'm not afraid of letting anyone down. I'm looking for a relatively calmer spot where I can jump into the pool as I feel like it, maybe even the deep end once or twice, yet feel at home with the people back at my home camp.

And yeah, I have to ask: Rock Yer Balls? (*ducks and awaits spankings*)
Krokodyle

Postby gaminwench » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Rock yer Balls is a massive 2 person game in which the players manipulate a larger than billiards sized table, in an attempt to sink balls in pockets.
Destiny Lounge is a cool, chill camp; about 20 or so folks from all walks of life.
I suggest that you PM (that little white box under his avatar^^) BigBlueDoggy for that personal touch.
Being in his camp will likely involve setup pre-event, strike, and shifts 'barking' the game(s)...
Great folks...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Krokodyle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 am

Great, thanks for the info, gaminwench!
Krokodyle

Postby watsonme » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm interested in possibly camping with you guys! I visited your camp in 2009 and had a blast! I live in Atlanta and this will be my second burn. I love the vibe of your camp and would be interested in contributing in any way possible.
watsonme

Burning Since: 2009

Postby bigbluedoggy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Hey there folks! Glad to see some interest! I need a couple of weeks to sort thru some default world work stuff and then I will have more time to chat with folks about our camp. Please have patience with me! Thanks!

bigbluedoggy

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:30 pm

OK, I've been a bad doggy and neglected to get back to a few folks who have expressed some interest in our camp. The default world kicks my ass every year at this time and I can only offer my humble apologies to all if it seems I have been ignoring you! With that said, it's time to start putting pencil to paper and pinning down our theme camp plans for this year. Still not 100% on whether or not Destiny Lounge will be making the full return at this point. It really depends on gathering enough like minded souls in our area who can help get it all together and make it happen! While cross country persons are welcome, we really need a few more folks from the So Cal area who want to be a part of our camp to make it fly. We have a few, but it takes a good solid core of 10 - 12 people to make it fly!

If you've been to our camp before, I don't need to tell you that we are a comfy oasis of shade and icy beverages, with great music and an oversized game or two to tittle your tittelators! We strive to be as drama free as possible and gather folks with a modicum of common sense and personal responsibility (in other words: frat boys and sparkle ponies, please move along). There is work involved (gasp!) and a great deal of fun! If our camp appeals to you, please let me know! Graci!

Oh... and Woof!

Doggy Dave

bigbluedoggy

Postby burner von braun » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 am

I'm looking forward to stopping in to the Destiny Lounge BBD. It sounds fun, see ya there!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 pm

hot diggity dog!
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Alas, after some deep thought and due to massive disinterest on the part of our past members, it appears that we will NOT be bringing Destiny Lounge back for 2013. While I appreciate the several offers I've received from folks across the country who are interested in joining us, without a solid base of local folks interested in helping prep and wrap the lounge, it just can't happen. The truth is, there is no US, only a ME at this point and I am waving the big blue flag of indifference. I'll be returning to the playa with a small bedroom camp as I did last year, joined by a few friends (who don't want to do the theme camp), and will have a wonderful time Greeting, serving you coffee at Center Camp, and generally carrying on in my usual way.

For those of you who reached out, I would like to thank you for your interest. It means a lot. I hope you all find a warm cozy camp to join!

See you on the Playa!

Woofily yours... bbd

bigbluedoggy

Postby Krokodyle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Aww...bummed to hear this. :(

I'll make sure to keep an eye open for you at coffee/Center camp.
Krokodyle

Return to 2013 Theme Camps