Digital Apex

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: Digital Apex

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 pm

fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby DrewDubious » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
like the way the red sox should bow, whenever entering Yankee Stadium. :twisted:

And when they leave, of course!

Or did you mean like prostrate kinda bow?
DrewDubious

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:23 pm

So when are the Lowells get the message and stop talking to those snooty Cabots? Or was the whole clan dropped on their heads as babies?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby circusrat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:41 am

I never knew that burners were trolls in their off season. I'm not really sure why this thread received so many negative responses but it put a bad taste in my mouth about Burning Man in general.
circusrat

Burning Since: 2012

Postby gaminwench » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:16 am

That's unfortunate.

:D Welcome to ePlaya. :D

Try reading the "fuck" thread.

Large, DJdriven sound camps are a sore subject for a cross-section of burners.
Theirs is the only 'art' that assaults the entire population.
Some leave a large MOOP footprint.
They attract sparkleponies, considered a drain on the community.
Some have flaunted commercial sponsorship.

and,
really,
bigger is not always better.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:03 am

circusrat wrote:I never knew that burners were trolls in their off season. I'm not really sure why this thread received so many negative responses but it put a bad taste in my mouth about Burning Man in general.

then don't swallow.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:16 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:23 am

who's yer daddy...

One of my personal goals is to reignite the fire that dimmed so badly in burner artists after the ticket prices went up. It might be just my opinion, but while I don’t mind the ticket price hike itself, personally I feel like a lot of the art has diminished in quality due to financial restrictions. It’s hard for people to go big and still have enough money at the end of the day to survive.

Some people in the burner community will probably hate me for saying this, but my father was the third manager in charge of Red Bull North America, and he brought me to all of their cool events. I saw how this group pampered its athletes so they could perform to the best of their abilities. . . I kind of want to be the same for artists, allowing them to stay focused and reach new heights of their visions they could never have reached before.

so just shut the fuck up and start cutting us checks.
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:25 am

go go golem.

Roberto Dobbisano

Postby DrewDubious » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 am

circusrat wrote:I never knew that burners were trolls in their off season. I'm not really sure why this thread received so many negative responses but it put a bad taste in my mouth about Burning Man in general.

This -is- the internets, ya know! :D
DrewDubious

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby tiredofbeingnice » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17 am

This thread is so fucking thick with bullshit.

Digital Apex is actually Root Society in disguise.

Simon is behind the whole thing.

Thats why he is such a dickhead.

I don't keep no secrets.
tiredofbeingnice

Postby tiredofbeingnice » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:18 am

And o its going to be an awesome camp with great music. If you dont like it than you arent a burner and you should never have come to the event in the first place. Go away. this is not your home.
tiredofbeingnice

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 am

I WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH BEHIND THESE UNVERIFIED RUMORS.

is this where youre camping and/or working this year SIMON OF THE PLAYA?

do you have any role in the production/operation/advising of the camp ? known as "DIGITAL APEX" ?
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby tiredofbeingnice » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 am

EarthFireWindWater wrote:I don't know why all the hate for Digital Apex themed camp! I thought most peeps at burning man were open minded, friendly, supportive and welcoming, but this thread is showing otherwise. I am coming all the way from Australia with about 8 other people and every single one of us are excited to be a part of this themed camp, they have a great idea, and big isn't necessarily bad! These guys are artists attempting to create an epic structure of wonder on the playa and I am fully supportive of this, I think it will be amazing.

Great work Bigsexxy! keep it up and ignore the haters, only lovers are welcome!

Because half the shitbricks on this forum are so far up their own asses they still think anything popular or fun has to be avoided at all costs. The funniest part is that once they are out on the playa they dance with the rest of us. :roll:
tiredofbeingnice

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:30 am

i dont dance, you insensitive clod.

and neither do most of the people i know.

not everyone out there has a collection of pacifiers... some of us have never even purchased vicks vaporub!
lemur

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 am

s this where youre camping and/or working this year SIMON OF THE PLAYA?

do you have any role in the production/operation/advising of the camp ? known as "DIGITAL APEX" ?

absolutely not.

but i know who tiredofbeingnice is, and i know where he lives.... :twisted:
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 am

good news!!

your street cred remains intact
lemur

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:40 am

you wanna dance?

Let's Dance....
Attachments
1002716_10151535573358101_1378016983_n.jpg
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby H.G.Crosby » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:46 am

Thats why he is such a dickhead. BUT....its going to be an awesome camp with great music. If you dont like it than you arent a burner and you should never have come to the event in the first place. Go away. this is not your home.

yer killing me, smalls.......your logic board is fried.......now be a NICE little wannabe DJ and run along and do some more coke....
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby DrYes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:01 am

It upsets a minority of Burners that the large sound camps are so popular with other Burners. Some people like to tell others how to Burn and wag a finger at them when they're having fun "in the wrong way". This board is filled with folks like that.
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:52 am

DrYes wrote:

It upsets a minority of Burners that the large sound camps are so popular with other Burners. Some people like to tell others how to Burn and wag a finger at them when they're having fun "in the wrong way". This board is filled with folks like that.

I'd say you have a point.........but I'd add, some people's distaste for the large sound camps, is related to the huge mess/moop they leave, and how it seems most of the aggressive behaviours seem to emanate from there.
The testosterone pumped "frat boyz" trying to impress the sparkle ponies, and when turned away, get agro on those around them, intimidating and such........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby tiredofbeingnice » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:55 am

H.G.Crosby wrote:

Thats why he is such a dickhead. BUT....its going to be an awesome camp with great music. If you dont like it than you arent a burner and you should never have come to the event in the first place. Go away. this is not your home.

yer killing me, smalls.......your logic board is fried.......now be a NICE little wannabe DJ and run along and do some more coke....

Nah, im not even a DJ. Nor am I going to the burn. I'm just some poll sitting spectator who is stoked on thursday at the Apex.

EDIt: I would NEVER go to the burn.
tiredofbeingnice

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 am

Attachments
293833_10151505037353101_35034144_n.jpg
293833_10151505037353101_35034144_n.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 139 times
fuck you, it's magic

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Postby Digital-Dragonfly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:51 am

tiredofbeingnice wrote:
Nah, im not even a DJ. Nor am I going to the burn. I'm just some Troll poll sitting spectator who is stoked on thursday at the Apex.

EDIt: I would NEVER go to the burn.

-fixed that for you
Digital-Dragonfly

Postby DrYes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:14 am

ygmir wrote:
DrYes wrote:

I'd say you have a point.........but I'd add, some people's distaste for the large sound camps, is related to the huge mess/moop they leave, and how it seems most of the aggressive behaviours seem to emanate from there.
The testosterone pumped "frat boyz" trying to impress the sparkle ponies, and when turned away, get agro on those around them, intimidating and such........

The MOOP might be a fair point, but the moop map from last year doesn't really indicate a preponderance of MOOP problems at the large scale soundcamps. https://blog.burningman.com/2012/10/env ... l-results/
There's yellow and red camps scattered throughout.

Beyond that though, most of the negative comments didn't mention or focus on moop. They came across high school clique-like, to me at least.

I've spent a fair amount of time at rave camps (I'm 41, am not, and was never a frat boy) and had nothing but smiles and good times with the folks around me. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, I don't know.

On a related note, there is NO chance of Burning Man turning into EDC or something. I watched a documentary on EDC a couple nights ago. Was thinking to myself, "I like EDM. I like to dance. I like eyecandy. I like spectacle. This looks like a fun weekend!"

And then the organizer came on and was waxing on about how one thing that makes EDC different from other festivals is that they pay their performers to interact with the crowd.

I facepalmed, turned it off, and thought to myself, "You have to pay people to interact? This is why I go to Burning Man."

There is no danger there, at all.
DrYes

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:24 am

Anyone think that this is a self canceling argument?
tiredofbeingnice wrote:If you dont like it than you arent a burner and you should never have come to the event in the first place. Go away. this is not your home.

DrYes wrote:It upsets a minority of Burners that the large sound camps are so popular with other Burners. Some people like to tell others how to Burn and wag a finger at them when they're having fun "in the wrong way". This board is filled with folks like that
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:41 am

peoples distaste for the loud sound camps ?

it aint the moop, thats larrys problem.

how about it being the bigass fuckin loud as fuck sound systems that are.. as mentioned, loud as fuck and cannot be easily escaped and which also now rove about the city ?

its easy to be all like 'ZOMG STOP HARSHING MY BURN.. YOU BURN YOUR WAY.. I BURN MINE' when youre just hanging out quietly in your freaky orgy camp in the privacy of its dome with yer RV's running off batteries...

but when yer running 100,000 watt arena sized sound system that 'you burn your way i burn mine' thing kinda goes to crap.

while there may be 'placement' and zoning now to try and alleviate this issue ..hoping to impact as few people as possible... it merely alleviates things partially ..it doesnt eliminate the issue... you can still hear that stuff a LONG ways away...

if the big ass sound camps contained all of their impact into their borders (or a reasonable distance outside of them.. say.. 25 feet) i think the naysayers wouldnt have much to say.. but as is.. on the sound impact alone, the big sound camps create an impact on the experiences of others that has a footprint far larger than a similar sized non-large-sound-camp camp..

now, we could surly debate whether or not places that bring in thousands of people 'deserve' leeway because of the EPIC participation, and large amount of people who come to the burn just for such loud stuff... but as for why people have distaste for loud soundcamps i dont think it has anything to do with their popularity or attractiveness.

.......we could also, unrelated to the direct impact on others experience.. discuss the philosophical impact on the event itself..

i.e. 'spectators' (whether or not dancing counts as participation is surely fodder for some whole new thread) being brought in by big money DJs and production companies which use the burn to lift the profile of people ... commodifying an art event ..for their dance music dreams

theres a lot of reasonable reasons why someone might have distaste for the big sound camps... and as far as i see it, none of them have to do with cliqueish highschool bullshit

most of the reasons have to do with reasonable issues related to unduly large impact on individual experience and the cultural impact on the event itself.
lemur

Postby DrYes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:04 pm

lemur wrote:how about it being the bigass fuckin loud as fuck sound systems that are.. as mentioned, loud as fuck and cannot be easily escaped and which also now rove about the city ?

its easy to be all like 'ZOMG STOP HARSHING MY BURN.. YOU BURN YOUR WAY.. I BURN MINE' when youre just hanging out quietly in your freaky orgy camp in the privacy of its dome with yer RV's running off batteries...

but when yer running 100,000 watt arena sized sound system that 'you burn your way i burn mine' thing kinda goes to crap.

Yep, that's reasonable. I sure as heck wouldn't camp anywhere near 10 or 2, or near Distrikt or Pink Mammoth or any of the other large sound camps. Why the hate directed towards people who enjoy those things though? They're not the ones blasting the music. They're not the ones that placed that theme camp. They're just Burners, enjoying something they found on the playa.

Having said that, they're part of the event, and BMORG seems ok with Distrikt blasting music all day or Opulent (in past years!) blasting all night. Feels a bit like complaining about the fact that BM is in a desert - that's what the org wants, that's what the event is.

i.e. 'spectators' (whether or not dancing counts as participation is surely fodder for some whole new thread) being brought in by big money DJs and production companies which use the burn to lift the profile of people ... commodifying an art event ..for their dance music dreams

You lost me there. Music isn't art? I also don't see any difference between "bringing in a DJ" and "bringing in a car" except that the car didn't have to have a ticket. The latter is far more the product of commodification than the former. The DJs at BM are largely small to medium regionally-famous DJs (vs the headliners at an EDC or Ultra or Ibiza or whatnot), who don't get paid, whereas the vehicles people bring to the playa are typically produced by massive for-profit multi-national companies, much like almost everything people bring to BM other than clothes and locally-grown food. Seems off to me to criticize a camp bringing in a DJ when every camp out there flat-out purchases most of their infrastructure or infrastructure components and brings it/them to the playa.
DrYes

Postby lemur » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 pm

lemur wrote:for the purposes of this discussion, lets presume that "art" in the context of burning man refers to the camps/sculptures/mutantvehicles/installations and "not art" refers to the DJ's and music.
lemur

Postby DrYes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:17 pm

lemur wrote:
lemur wrote:for the purposes of this discussion, lets presume that "art" in the context of burning man refers to the camps/sculptures/mutantvehicles/installations and "not art" refers to the DJ's and music.

Not an assumption I'm willing to make! Whether it's Jazz Camp or Apex, music is art.
DrYes

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme Camps