Digital Apex

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: Digital Apex

Postby DrewDubious » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:18 am

Asquared wrote:
how is what you said above different for the photographer doing the naked shoot? why not outrage over that (he is LITERALLY selling a product)!?

Yeah, I found this a bit confusing. No crusades for me though :wink:
DrewDubious

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby Asquared » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 am

theCryptofishist wrote:it won't annoy me directly

this seems to be lemur's motivation.

drew - see you in the colliseum? :wink:
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby DrewDubious » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:30 am

Asquared wrote:
drew - see you in the colliseum? :wink:

I dare say you just might! :wink:
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:44 pm

the "naked photographer" is Spencer Tunick, i met him in 1997 at the walmart in reno.

He's an Artist. Google him.

knowing how to use ableton and calling yourself an "Artist" is somewhat akin to being able to hammer a nail and calling yourself a master carpenter.

sure, they both involve wood and tools.

thats about it.

yes, the superstar DJs are Talented and Artists and put on a helluva show....but...

let's just get this straight....the Annual "who has the biggest dick on the playa" contest is just that, an ego fest, at best, and at worst, a sleazy way to promote your defaultia business, i'm afraid.

so mr. dubious and miss squared, you go ahead and go play the game you newbs wanna play, it's a free playa, your choices are your own.

you have fun with that, kiddies, i'll probably see you there too, because, you know, i know a gazillion superstar DJ's....

seriously. :twisted:
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Bless » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Speaking of artists...

[media]
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote: i'll probably see you there too, because, you know, i know a gazillion superstar DJ's....

It's true. They pay him to show up.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Asquared wrote:AND...how is what you said above different for the photographer doing the naked shoot? why not outrage over that (he is LITERALLY selling a product)!?

i totally did 'outrage over that' in the thread related to it..

go check it out
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby DrYes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 pm

stew wrote:
DrYes wrote:BMORG defines what grants they'll give to particular kinds of art, as do other granting organizations. In BMORGs case, they choose not to grant to music-based art installations as I understand it. I think it's a poor decision, as BM could encourage more types of musical art by providing funding for a variety of types of music, vs. relying on whatever is most popular to effectively self-fund and organize (ie EDM).

I have organized club events and concerts and can only say: it doesn't take a lot of money to make great music. However, it takes a lot of money to make loud music.
Besides, is anyone really complaining about a lack of music at the burn? Oh, I understand, there is enough music, but just not the kind of music you like. Then by all means, please bring some of that music, I'll swing by and listen and if I like it, I'll dance at your camp for a while.

Yeah, that's a good point about it not taking money to make great music, just loud music.

This isn't about me, but I'm quite happy with the music on the playa for my own purposes. I like EDM. I also like coming across random dudes playing pianos or a strange string quartet playing somewhere, and would like to see more of that, but I guess you're right - grants are unlikely to do much there.
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby strange love » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:06 pm

It's just kind of obvious when people are in it for the wrong reasons.
strange love

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Asquared » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:14 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:the "naked photographer" is Spencer Tunick, i met him in 1997 at the walmart in reno.

He's an Artist. Google him.

knowing how to use ableton and calling yourself an "Artist" is somewhat akin to being able to hammer a nail and calling yourself a master carpenter.

sure, they both involve wood and tools.

thats about it.

yes, the superstar DJs are Talented and Artists and put on a helluva show....but...

let's just get this straight....the Annual "who has the biggest dick on the playa" contest is just that, an ego fest, at best, and at worst, a sleazy way to promote your defaultia business, i'm afraid.

so mr. dubious and miss squared, you go ahead and go play the game you newbs wanna play, it's a free playa, your choices are your own.

you have fun with that, kiddies, i'll probably see you there too, because, you know, i know a gazillion superstar DJ's....

seriously. :twisted:

oh, i see, the guy is an artist. a real artist!
now tell me, how does a big dj playing a set "promote his defaultia business"? and how is that dj any different than a live band playing?

i'm not playing any games, just trying to figure out why some commodification is okay, but others is not. and yeah, i haven't been yet, but it seems like the 'biggest dick on the playa' contest is also being played by a ton of participants - all these people SELLING/BUYING playa gear so that they can have the BEST costume, BEST bar, BEST dome, whatever. i really can't see why having a big sound camp is any different. maybe i'll see when i get there.

if anything, all this bitching should be focused on kickstarter and indiegogo and all these people taking actual MONEY to GIFT.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Postby DrYes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Asquared wrote:
oh, i see, the guy is an artist. a real artist!
now tell me, how does a big dj playing a set "promote his defaultia business"? and how is that dj any different than a live band playing?

It's not.

i'm not playing any games, just trying to figure out why some commodification is okay, but others is not. and yeah, i haven't been yet, but it seems like the 'biggest dick on the playa' contest is also being played by a ton of participants - all these people SELLING/BUYING playa gear so that they can have the BEST costume, BEST bar, BEST dome, whatever. i really can't see why having a big sound camp is any different. maybe i'll see when i get there.

Quite right. Everybody shows up in things and with things purchased from huge multi-national corporations. It's funny to watch people going on anti-commodification screes as they prepare loads of stuff they bought via commerce, to bring to the playa, where they can pretend they are in a "no commerce" zone. (Oh, yeah, if we ignore the porta-potties, the ice, coffee, and lemonade commerce, the RV servicing commerce, etc). It's very similar to the Leave No Trace zealots (vs those who understand that we "leave no trace" so that we can have the event there next year), who pollute the crap out of the air dragging loads of heavy things to BM, get there, and then want to tell you about their latest Green initiative.

What people really want, however, is not to feel like a commercial victim on the playa. It's a complete illusion, obviously, as the same person who gets on his high horse about decommodification did, I guarantee you, engage in a lot of commerce in order to come to the desert and preach about decommodification, quite likely buys ice or coffee, probably uses the porta-potties set up by United Site Services, etc etc........but it is actually a pretty nice illusion while you're out there isn't it?

Something to be said for the power of illusion. :)
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:37 pm

"Man is not a rational animal, he's a rationalizing animal!" 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:50 pm

ITS BURNING MAN, NOT THE JUGGALO GATHERING.

what USS does dont mean shit.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I"m going to be clear here. I hate being advertised to. Yes, we live in a mercantile culture with much selling. My vacation in the desert is, in part, a vacation from that. (And I really do find the slick sort of talk that's in the op of most of the sound camp threads to be very "commercial" in tone and attitude.)
Sometimes it's not "hypocrisy." Sometimes it's an ability to hold two ideas close and to try and dance on the head of that pin. Or at least a desire to try.

Although, I understand that this is too difficult for some to understand.

And a lot of fish have no idea how much advertising is in the water they swim through.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to 2013 Theme Camps