Insurance

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Insurance

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Here's a question I sorta don't even wanna ask my agent; I play with cars and I've got a "broad form" insurance policy that covers me in any vehicle. I wonder if that includes my mutant vehicle?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Re: Insurance

Postby mgb327 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Only if said "vehicle" strikes an iceberg.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby MikeGyver » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:32 pm

My guess would be that "any vehicle" would need to be registered. What you could ask instead of mutant vehicle is off road vehicle, same base description, highly modified not street legal.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby Elliot » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 pm

I have heard there is such a thing as "parade float" coverage. Might apply here.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby TT120 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Your "broad" policy only covers you in a street legal registered vehicle. A mutant vehicle would be considered an off road vehicle like a dirtbike or a quad. You could probably add that coverage to your current policy pretty easy and it wouldn't be that expensive. There is also, as Elliot says, a temporary "parade" type of coverage you can get as well.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Look up the definition of "any". Get to know it.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Dear Cap'n,
I got a 1M 2M aggregate from Heffernan. About a grand. They do lots of BM projects. Tight timeline now. Pm me and I can get thou contact info.
chiefdanfox

Postby ygmir » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm

I got covered the year I made my MV, through my home owners, as a parade float. It and the event loosely fit the description well enough, the agent said it would fly.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BRCDMV » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:51 pm

The Black Rock City DMV sent this announcement out to all 2013 MV Owners regarding Insurance questions:

MUTANT VEHICLE INSURANCE
------------------------

We have received a number of inquiries regarding Insurance
options for Mutant Vehicles. Mutant Vehicle owners may want to
look for something called Special Event Insurance or Float (as in
a parade) Insurance.

Please check with your insurance agent to see if they offer
Special Event Insurance

You can also try the firms listed below (please note that this is
not a specific recommendation of their services, just information
for you to use to help find an appropriate insurance option):

http://www.heffins.com/industry-special ... ce-program

http://www.hagerty.com/

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke for the DMV Hotties
BRCDMV

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Department of Mutant Vehicles

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:42 am

Be careful. We took out insurance on our Cloud Car and the quote came back with an additional $50 for "Terrorist insurace waiver" or something like that. Deffinitely "terrorism" was mentioned. When I questioned the lady at Heffernan she said all policies now have to come with that. Some post 9-11 thing. Then yesterday I got an email saying that "terrorism insurance" is optional (though I was told it was not when I sent in my check) and if I sign a waiver they'll refund my $50. Does this sound like a scam to anybody else? I understand this current corrupt administration will try and tax everybody up the ass everytime they can and see fit to waive personal responsibility in order to have the government into every aspect of thier lives thus eroding personal freedom, but seriously, terrorism insurance for an art car at Burning Man? Gimme a break.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Elderberry » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:58 am

Sounds more like corporate corruption than it does government corruption to me Doc.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby lemur » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:03 pm

if it rains on the playa this year?

OBAMAS FAULT.

everything that isnt good during the term of a democratic president is the fault of big govt loving dems (if youre an R)

anything that isnt good during the term of a republican president is the fault of the corp loving repubs (if youre a D)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby zorgath » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Dr. Pyro

The terrorism coverage came about after 9/11 when insurance companies started to exclude acts of terrorism in their policies. The government came in and started a program to provide this coverage through TRIA - Terrorism Risk Insurance Act. This is an optional coverage, costs 1-3% of premium. (TRIA was also extended and continues to be extended as the government hopes the private market will pick up more and more of the risk, but no sign of that yet. Similar to the NFIP - National Flood Insurance Program - but let me get back on topic.)

It is found in PROPERTY policies, not LIABILITY policies. What the terrorism coverage will cover is your mutant vehicle in the event of someone committing a certified act of terrorism at burning man that damages or destroys your vehicle. I wouldn't really worry about purchasing it for a mutant vehicle unless it is worth a LOT of money. They key is something happening that is a "certified act of terrorism." The government decides what this is. Say someone decides to bring explosives and blow up your vehicle. Normally that would be covered under your policy. However, if the government certifies it as an act of terrorism, it is no longer covered, unless you have that coverage.

Either way, you need to either accept or reject this insurance in writing. Feel free to ask me any other questions on this or other insurance related issues. I am an insurance geek - I spend my free time reading insurance policies. Also, this is all stuff your agent should have told you. I fricking hate the people in my industry sometimes, but I digress...

Zorgath
- Insurance & Risk Management Consultant for Native American Tribes & Special Events. And First Time Burner :)
zorgath

Burning Since: 2013

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Hey Zorgath, sorry it's late, but, welcome to ePlaya!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Return to 2013 Mutant Vehicles