Spencer Tunick Nude Art Installation

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Spencer Tunick Nude Art Installation

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:14 pm

HQ's asked me to relay the info from this blog post on the board. Looks like an interesting project, check it out...

World renowned photographer and 2013 honorarium art grant recipient Spencer Tunick (check out his awesome NSFW website) is doing a photo shoot of one of his amazing art installations on playa this year. Spencer tells us how to be part of this epic experience:

“Desert Spirits by Spencer Tunick
Date/Time(s): Friday, August 30th, 2013 5 a.m. – 7 a.m.
Contact Email: projects@spencertunick.com

We would like to invite you to POSE NUDE in a group photographic installation by artist Spencer Tunick. Spencer will choose men, women and any gender identity to be part of this unique installation. In order to be chosen we ask that you please send in a low resolution photograph of yourself. Participants will be selected based on photographs submitted to the email: projects@spencertunick.com

Please send the image sooner rather than later. Most installations by Spencer do not have limits to the number of people participating, nor do they require the submission of a photograph. However, for this art work for Burning Man, there is a cap on the number of people participating due to the specific concept of the work.

We are asking for a photograph because we want to have a wide range of body types and skin tonalities represented in the final work. Although everyone is unique, If you are not chosen, it is simply because we may have reached the amount of people with similar specific characteristics. We apologize in advance if you are not chosen for this particular idea but please do not let it deter you from posing in future works by Spencer where there are no number limits.

Chosen participants will be contacted by email prior to August 24th with: location and further instructions. Please only sign up if you are committed to participating and able to wake up before sunrise (or stay up all night). The work will take place before sunrise in order to utilize the pre-dawn light. You will be in position when the sun rises. You only will be nude for a short period of time. …we know it’s chilly…so you will not be nude until right before the sun rises over the horizon and as the sun hits your body. 5am is just the call time to get you registered. We need everyone to be on time. In exchange for taking part, you will receive by mail, a limited edition print of the art work. PARTICIPANTS ONLY.

Thank you!”
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Spencer Tunick Nude Art Installation

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm already signed up! And there is an earlier thread about it also. :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Sham » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:26 pm

5:00 am in the cold morning. Let me think about that. :roll:
Sham

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:31 pm

I recalled it being mentioned earlier by someone not connected with the project, but had thought it was as part of some other thread.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Here is the other thread, posted by Vulture Chow.

viewtopic.php?t=64479&p=940238

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby VultureChow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm glad there's an official thread. I hope they can get the participants they need. Although I suppose even at 5am they could field a full crew on the fly.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby littlebird » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I've heard that lots of people like to run around nekkid at Burning Man. If that's true, then I suspect they'll get more than enough people volunteering, no? I am by no means someone known to just hang around nude outside of a bedroom; I've never done so, actually. But for some reason I sent in a picture of myself. :shock: Lord knows whether I'll get picked, or, in the case that I am picked, if I'll even get up the nerve to do so once the time comes around.
littlebird

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Tone Age

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 pm

littlebird wrote:I've heard that lots of people like to run around nekkid at Burning Man. If that's true, then I suspect they'll get more than enough people volunteering, no? I am by no means someone known to just hang around nude outside of a bedroom; I've never done so, actually. But for some reason I sent in a picture of myself. :shock: Lord knows whether I'll get picked, or, in the case that I am picked, if I'll even get up the nerve to do so once the time comes around.

dang!! and I missed your photo!

hahaa
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby littlebird » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I am fully clothed in the picture! :P
littlebird

Camp Name: Tone Age

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:12 am

littlebird wrote:I've heard that lots of people like to run around nekkid at Burning Man.

Well, grasshopper, you will almost certainly see some folks strolling around simply stark naked, but it is more a matter of freedom to wear costumes that just happen to not cover the usually-covered parts. Also, some folks shower in the open, without offending anybody -- shower stall walls not being readily available.

My all-time favorite costumes are a couple who dressed as trees or shrubs at the 2007 "Green Man" themed event. They wore essentially robes of fish-netting, and into the netting they had woven (fake) foliage. From a distance they looked precisely like two small trees. Closer, you could make out that there were humans inside, and they were naked in there. Since this was all about a "back-to-nature" theme, their natural state beneath the fish netting seemed wonderfully appropriate. It would have been an ugly disruption to see man-made textiles in there.
So... modesty is kind'a suspended in Black Rock City. That does not mean anybody is expected to go nude for nudidity's sake.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby DrewDubious » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:16 am

Elliot wrote:. That does not mean anybody is expected to go nude for nudidity's sake.

Dang, that's exactly the reason I had planned on doing it....
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:20 am

Well, then that's your costume -- your birthday suit! All good!

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bless » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:09 am

Shambala wrote:5:00 am in the cold morning. Let me think about that. :roll:

Isn't it dangerous for that many people to be that naked at 5 am on the playa?
FUCK YOU I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU I'M A SHARK.
Bless

Postby DrewDubious » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:23 am

Elliot wrote:Well, then that's your costume -- your birthday suit! All good!

awesome! ::crosses another thing off the "to do" list::
DrewDubious

Camp Name: Snuggery bunnies?

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 am

Bless wrote:
Shambala wrote:5:00 am in the cold morning. Let me think about that. :roll:

Isn't it dangerous for that many people to be that naked at 5 am on the playa?

Emergency Medical Services might want to mobilize for an onslaught of patients with mild frostbite, yes!

Now... since I have dabbled in photography-for-glossy-full-color-publication myself, I think I can explain the ungodly hour of the shoot. It's about the light and the air. You have all seen lovely golden-warm-orange sunsets and sunrises, bright enough to take a picture but free of harsh shadows, and that's the kind of light he is after. And he is using dawn instead of dusk because of less dust in the air.

Yeah, I'm worried about being cold, but I CAN HANDLE IT. If the photo winds up fuzzy because we are all shivering, that's his problem.

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Sham » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:11 am

Yes, shrinkage is a concern. 5000 naked, shivering (shriveling) people is quite a sight! 8)
Sham

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:26 am

so..

the site fee black rock city LLC is charging for this shoot..

5 figures, or 6??

Goodell said the LLC's standard agreement calls for all filmmakers to either pay a set site fee or a percentage of the profits. "It's standard in all of the agreements to pay a site fee," Goodell said, noting that the LLC recently charged Vogue Magazine $150,000 to do a photo shoot during the event.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

it seems like their website is a piece of crap and is all laggy and slow, you may need a refresh if you get a 500 server error..

but this is the set that they paid $150,000 to make http://en.vogue.fr/fashion-culture/fash ... age/568532

tunicks prints can go from anywhere in the low hundreds of dollars or $1000 for a non-notable image in a large edition to well over $10,000 for a more notable image in a smaller edition.

an 8x10 print of a 1999 black rock desert naked people photo sold for nearly $2000 at auction.

he surely aint doing this just for the fun of it.

decommodification ? we'll be the judge of that* -signed, the LLC (not really, i made that up)

(*hint: its only commodification when they arent getting a cut)
lemur

Postby Elliot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 am

I cannot address the commercial aspect, but I read that the "installation" of people that Mr. Tunick wants to photograph is sponsored by BM with an honorarium art grant.

I'm thinking that Tunick's work -- although he needs to put food on the table -- might rate slightly different from crass advertising in a rag like Vogue. Just a guess, mind you. I just want to do something amusing while I'm at TTITD doing Silly Stuff anyway. :D

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby lemur » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:51 am

Elliot wrote: I read that the "installation" of people that Mr. Tunick wants to photograph is sponsored by BM with an honorarium art grant.

so they subsidized his commerce, hooray!

In exchange for taking part, you will receive by mail, a limited edition print of the art work.

of course, the LLC gets something in exchange too! even if it doesnt get a site fee, or (doubtfully) a percentage of whatever profit is/isnt made off of this work (and previous works at the vent) ...they certainly gain prestige for having a big art world guy do stuff at their event.

it sorta validates all of that outsider-art at burning man that doesnt even register on the art-world radar

and it engages the paying ticket-buyers, make em feel like they got their moneys worth! (and thats always good, ..keepin the customers happy and entertained)

and of course, everyone is free to enjoy themselves in taking part,..lotsa people from all over the world have been in his images.. and as people often say about ..all sorts of things, 'whatever floats yer boat'

but, as for the event itself, and its supposed shared ethos (as larry likes to call it) I think this, and similar things like it, represent something that the community should perk its ears up to and consider..

Would this be different if it were Metallica doing a photo-shoot for their next album release? How far does the acceptance of the LLC, in the form of honorariums and officials OK's go in this community?
lemur

Postby Bless » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Whatever happened with this project? Has anyone seen the photo/s?
Bless

Postby Elliot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 pm

The photo shoot did take place as scheduled. I was signed up to participate, but to be safe they had a surplus of folks signed up, and they ran out of props just before I got to the front of the line. They had 360 sheets and there were around ten or 20 of us who missed out. I would have to call that darned good planning by Tunick and crew. (The props were large white sheets so we would be spirits -- ghosts).

Tunick arranged the group just outside the trash fence (with the assistance of Perimeter and BLM), and took a number of shots of two different "spirits" formations -- the first against the mountains and the second against the rising sun. He used at least two cameras. He saw him changing film, but I don't know if he also shot any digital. Best I could see, he did not use any large format camera. He wasted some valuable time fumbling with film changes, even needing to find a tool to fix something, so I was surprised he did not have plenty of preloaded camera bodies.

I was also surprised -- perhaps I should say impressed -- he did not use a tripod for most of the shots. He simply stood on the roof of an RV.

Best I could understand, this was a successful shoot -- except for those few of us who missed our "15 minutes of fame". I have not heard anything since.

I suggest you go to his site and find the shot of the circular parking garage. That one is by far his coolest, to my eye. :D

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bless » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks for the update, Elliot. I'd be interested to the see the photos if and when they come out.
Bless

Postby Sham » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:06 pm

Bless wrote:Thanks for the update, Elliot. I'd be interested to the see the photos if and when they come out.

This shoot was done really (really) early in the morning. I admire anyone who got out of their nice warm bed to trek out to the trash fence and get naked. It was probably 40 degrees at that time. :shock:
Sham

Postby Elliot » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:19 pm

Something just came back to me: Roughly 3 out of 4 participants were ladies. I don't know if they are gutsier about a little cool air than guys are, or if they wanted to get even for the male-dominated Naked Bike Ride Pub Crawl, or what. Regardless... it was a cool event in both meanings of the word.

Here is that favorite shot I mentioned, from Holland:

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bless » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Elliot, were you naked while standing on the sidelines? Do you recall what temperature it was outside at the time?
Bless

Postby Elliot » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:15 pm

No, it was cool enough I stayed dressed. But I did not notice anybody give up and dash out of the formation to get dressed. (But one or two dashed to the portapotty and returned to work.) Word was, the white sheets might have helped a bit on the temperature.

Are you in search of his next project? Could be tricky, since he works all over the world. But you know what.... If you or I came up with a fabulous venue for him, on the order of the double circular building above, I'd slip him a note!

Camp website:

Elliot

Postby Bless » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:44 am

Thanks, again Elliot. No, I'm not in search of his next project. Just very curious about last year's shoot in the desert. I was shocked that people could stay out there in the nude at such low temperatures on the cold playa at sunrise.

Now that I come to think of it, there could be some incredible shots taken at landmarks in DC, if he hasn't done it already. Then again, it might be difficult to secure a permit inside the city.
Bless

Postby Sham » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:22 am

Bless wrote:Now that I come to think of it, there could be some incredible shots taken at landmarks in DC, if he hasn't done it already. Then again, it might be difficult to secure a permit inside the city.

Maybe he could get 5000 naked people to moon Congress. :shock:
Sham

Postby Elliot » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:45 am

Sham wrote:
Bless wrote:Now that I come to think of it, there could be some incredible shots taken at landmarks in DC, if he hasn't done it already. Then again, it might be difficult to secure a permit inside the city.

Maybe he could get 5000 naked people to moon Congress. :shock:

I'd walk to DC to take part in that! In fact, I'm sure he could get much more than 5,000 volunteers. How about... The Billion Butts March!

As for tolerating 40F for maybe 20 minutes... it is amazing what humans will happily do for a fun purpose. Just think of the tradition of ice bathing on New Year's Day. (Not that I would try that!)

Camp website:

Elliot

Next

Return to 2013 Art & Performance