Art Project for 2013

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Art Project for 2013

Postby daft » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:08 pm

I have an idea for next year...how bout you?
daft

Re: Art Project for 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:16 pm

I suppose I'm going to be dreary and dramatic and say I'm not sure I'm going so I will be able to work on projects without the distortion of that gravity well.

Such a little prick, being negative on the second post of the thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Negative Nancy.

I have a couple ideas. Some campmates have a great idea but i'll leave it for them to post. I am going to let my ideas percolate another year and just concentrate on Dye with Dignity for this year.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby daft » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Imagine a big ice chest full of beer and ice, way out at the trash fence.
daft

Postby grenadine » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:51 pm

As Tamara mentioned there have been some ideas floating around Dye With Dignity for big playa art. The idea that I'm playing with is a giant playa kaleidoscope. It would be a climbable structure: a platform for people to stand on, to look up and see a kaleidoscope above them. Other people could climb up to stand on top of the kaleidoscope to be part of the visual effect. Still other people could turn the upper portion of the kaleidoscope to change the visual effect. Plus there would be slots where you could insert colored plexiglass to change the colors of the light passing through the kaleidoscope. A fabric banner would float on top to create some shade and prevent direct sunlight from roasting users. Participants on the bottom platform could take photos to save the visual effects that they create.

That's where my crazy brain is. I have no idea how I'm going to make this happen, but even if it takes years I will get it to the playa.
grenadine

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Sounds like a fun idea, Grenadine!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Killbuck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:44 pm

That is a very very cool idea!

I've always thought light- sunlight is an under used yet abundant resource, and this one takes advantage.
Go for it!
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby daft » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Would you have mirrors?
daft

Postby grenadine » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Probably, but most likely plexiglass. Or I would put some sort of plastic sticky covering on them so that if they shatter the broken pieces wouldn't moop everywhere or damage people.
grenadine

Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Postby peyote2004 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:27 am

grenadine wrote:As Tamara mentioned there have been some ideas floating around Dye With Dignity for big playa art. The idea that I'm playing with is a giant playa kaleidoscope. It would be a climbable structure: a platform for people to stand on, to look up and see a kaleidoscope above them. Other people could climb up to stand on top of the kaleidoscope to be part of the visual effect. Still other people could turn the upper portion of the kaleidoscope to change the visual effect. Plus there would be slots where you could insert colored plexiglass to change the colors of the light passing through the kaleidoscope. A fabric banner would float on top to create some shade and prevent direct sunlight from roasting users. Participants on the bottom platform could take photos to save the visual effects that they create.

That's where my crazy brain is. I have no idea how I'm going to make this happen, but even if it takes years I will get it to the playa.

I love that idea :)
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby maladroit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:10 pm

You can stretch silvered mylar over a surface to create a quite smooth and mirrored surface. Some flight-simulation people use silvered mylar as a giant mirrored display surface, sucked back into a curved shape using a vacuum, so you know it's high enough visual quality. A kaleidoscope just needs three mirrors to work, so you could probably do it with plywood or insulation board covered with mylar. At this scale, I don't think you'd need an incredibly flat surface to get the kaleidoscope effect working well, just fairly flat and smooth.

And just point the kaleidoscope sideways, at ground level. Let people spin and rotate it. Point it at mutant vehicles or groups of colorful people and it'll be very cool. Would look outstanding at night.
maladroit

Postby latchseeker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Sweet Idea G, It would;
maladroit wrote: Would look outstanding at night.

daft wrote:Imagine a big ice chest full of beer and ice, way out at the trash fence.
LOVE IT
Real Chest with Beer or a massive fake chest with fake beer? Imagine the disappointment.

First Burn I feel I'll need to get my Bearings, but I really wanna go Nuts.
-A Staring Booth; beat me and I gift you some more than likely needed eye drops and a drink.(Or the 5 cent psychologist booth, probably already been done)
-I really want to put out a Sand worm that is also slides, Misting and an Outlook on the head(see attached)Eventually to be Part of/foundation for a Dune Theme camp
-A very fine candle lit dinner setting out on the playa with a waiter wearing a body paint tux and serve spaghetti Os and box wine and spankings for Dessert(will have to take reservations for this)
-A sand worm art car, train/segment style, or just a panel van with a wormstlyeshell. serving blue drinks, Blue Agave tequilla, Bombay Shapire, Blue Gatorade for the kids
-Also a few years ago I had the Idea to make/bring/construct a large Sand Drawing box, that would be reset with water to smooth over the surface, was a cool idea at the time but best just saved for those weird beach nights
-a ladies headdress made out of Silver dimes(to be gifted)
-Also thought of casting some custom silver BM trinkets/tokens
-also various performance art spontaneously cause I can and Will
-has anyone Done any Dahli Scenes on the playa? that would be fun, melting clocks made from old records and have them melt in real time
-i want to make a sundial of some fashion

It will happen, and probably not all at once, but, Ya Mo Be There
Attachments
Untitledworm.png
Unique-Lawn-Garden-Statues_63645_image.jpg
concept example
Unique-Lawn-Garden-Statues_63645_image.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Don't worry too much about whether something has been done before, latchseeker. Otherwise there would only have been one mutant vehicle that shoots fire, and we would all be poorer for it. :)

Secondly, there are always going to be people who have never Burned before, or--if they have--have never happened past such a work as you create. Even the most well-traveled Burner in a given year probably sees less than a third of the city (and stops and visits even less than that). It's a huge place.

Worry more about good construction, good tie-downs, and a moop-free installation that captures what you want to say.

Do your thing.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby latchseeker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:38 pm

And do my thing I shal Savannah, i was just pre empting any snark about these ideas having been done before, I don't care to hear it. pseudo disclaimer.

P.S. Thank you Savannah for welcoming me here a few months ago, I appreciate it.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Grenadine

Someone did something along those lines one year. I think it was around the 04-06 years. It had a walkway through it, and the outside cylinder rotated. People on the outside turned the cylinder. Im not sure how it was constructed, but when the walls started turning, it was so disorienting that you couldnt walk. The walkway had handrails, and if you werent holding on to them you would simply fall over.

It was one of the strangest interactive art pieces I have seen.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby zdon » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 am

Awesome idea Grenadine!
if it could be such a totally immersive experience as to cause people to lose their sense of equillibrium, as Ranger Magnum suggests, that would be even cooler!
any ideas about the underlying structure/engineering behind it?
zdon

Camp Name: Emberz Bar

Postby graidawg » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

daft wrote:Imagine a big ice chest full of beer and ice, way out at the trash fence.

thats not far from my idea for MadDogs
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:55 pm

latchseeker wrote: ...
-has anyone Done any Dahli Scenes on the playa? that would be fun, melting clocks made from old records and have them melt in real time...

Love this idea, latchseeker.

My idea involves dinosaur, but honestly it'd be a real feat to fund, create, and get out there. Might be better on a 2-year timescale...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Even if it has been done before I find artwork on playa every year that has been there for years. If you build it, they will play with it.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm

While I don't like seeing the exact same thing each year, I think chaos theory helps mix things up even when it's the same project. Lots of different variables in play, from the weather to improvements and tweaks over last year, to different campmates (and so on) will make for a different (and probably improved) experience. Don't let "its been done before" stop you from exploring something you're excited about.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:19 am

Every art piece repeated is still new to fresh eyes. Here is the hippocampus from 2002:

seee horse.jpg

Not big enough for climbing. Still, go for it.

I do the same thing each year and it is always different.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby pomagranite » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi everybody,
I want to start by saying to those of you who helped make my burn this year so amazing, Thank You. I have an awesome idea for 2013. I would like some feedback and some more people to join the Crew.
My basic idea starts with a 7 foot x 4 foot golden picture frame. I want to take it out to the playa, along with many others and set them up at specific points where the view through it is looking at landmarks and art pieces.
If I could get unique picture frames donated by other participants as well as lighting and guy wires and the like. It would really help to make this happen.
My background is in photography, I would love for other people who like to take pictures to volunteer time to capture the pics and later share with the people who had their pics taken.
pomagranite

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Camp Awesome Shit!

Postby latchseeker » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks Gang, I'll ditch the worries.

pomagranite wrote: set them up at specific points where the view through it is looking at landmarks and art pieces.

I would love for other people who like to take pictures to volunteer time to capture the pics and later share with the people who had their pics taken.

That's rad, I'd like to be a part of that, if only in one of the picture, looking forward to seeing all these installations. Any body planning any kind of performance based Art? Nightly 3am Yoddleing, a roving shtick clown squad, 3 steaks up?
latchseeker

Postby Dawg » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Kai-Pod
3 Large Orca dorsal fins
Kai-Pod.com
Dawg

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Martiena » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:
-has anyone Done any Dahli Scenes on the playa? that would be fun, melting clocks made from old records and have them melt in real time...
[/quot

my imagination is going crazy....such a great, inspirational idea.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw
Martiena

Postby Martiena » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:
[/quot

my imagination is going crazy....such a great, inspirational idea.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw
Martiena

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:25 am

grenadine wrote:As Tamara mentioned there have been some ideas floating around Dye With Dignity for big playa art. The idea that I'm playing with is a giant playa kaleidoscope. It would be a climbable structure: a platform for people to stand on, to look up and see a kaleidoscope above them. Other people could climb up to stand on top of the kaleidoscope to be part of the visual effect. Still other people could turn the upper portion of the kaleidoscope to change the visual effect. Plus there would be slots where you could insert colored plexiglass to change the colors of the light passing through the kaleidoscope. A fabric banner would float on top to create some shade and prevent direct sunlight from roasting users. Participants on the bottom platform could take photos to save the visual effects that they create.

What a great idea.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby AbundantChoice » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 am

My idea is pretty simple this year, and also super-dinky (especially since i'm coming cross-coast), but might be fun. I call it One Stroke. I'll set up up four canvases of varying sizes (probably hang from a line so they can flap free when windy and not rip apart, then weight them down from the bottom when people are painting) , and bring a number of different colors of paint and paintbrushes of varying size for people passing by to use. It's governed by two simple rules:
a) You get one continuous brush-stroke *only* on a canvas. So you're limited to one 'brush-load' of paint, and once the brush comes back off the canvas, you're done.
b) If you do one canvas, you have to do them all.

That's pretty much it; i'd replace the canvases each morning with a fresh set. Then the idea is to try a different "third" rule each day. For example,
- you must use a different color on each canvas
- you must try and make a similar mark on each canvas
- etc etc etc

Most of the finished canvases might end up like Pollock-ian nightmares, but maybe some interesting things will result. It's muuuch more of an "in-city" project than an open playa thing I think. I might make a "gallery line" of all the previous canvases as well...i'm not sure at the moment.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby Brianmitchtay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 am

A friend and I have an idea for a project that we'd like to bring to the playa this year, if anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it! (This will only be my second burn, after all)

So here's a basic rendering of what we're going for. It's a freestanding climbing wall, the front overhung face as well as the sides, are climbable and will have ~8 routes on them, with the wall painted to correspond to the movement the routes require you to make, the wall will be lit as well, and the backside will be a lounge area, complete with comfy chairs, beverages, and several opportunities to photograph people climbing from various angles.

We really like the idea of showcasing routesetting in climbing as art. You're setting a path that requires someone to move their body in a certain, specific way to get to the top of the wall, it's like a vertical dance and you're the choreographer! Routes can be super intense, physical, complex movements, or very basic with big holds and fun movements. (and everything in between)

Right now we're in the process of writing up a grant proposal for the wall, but if anyone with more playa experience has any insight that might be helpful, we'd love you for helping us. :)
Brianmitchtay

Camp Name: Swish Embassy

Postby Brianmitchtay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am

Also, AbundantChoice, I think your idea sounds really cool. I'd be super interested to see what the canvases come out looking like, I think the idea of displaying the ones from previous days is great. :)
Brianmitchtay

Camp Name: Swish Embassy

Next

Return to 2013 Art & Performance