Weather Data Question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

what power sources do you use on the playa?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:48 pm

Photovoltaic (solar electric)
4%
Wind-based Generator
7%
Diesel generator
No votes
standard generator
15%
batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, lead-acid etc.)
37%
a mix of non-gas power
7%
a mix with gas power
22%
none
7%

Total votes : 27

Weather Data Question

Postby seandee » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:48 pm

I am curious if anyone logs the temperatures,wind speed, and other
meteorological (sp?) data by the hours at BRC over the years, maybe
Someone with the airport areas or the AEZ folk.
I am planning various ideas for power generation and wouldn't mind
some accurate measurements of the microclimate there - links, text
posts etc. would be appreciated. Anyone have fun beta testing
non-generator based power this year?
seandee

Postby tbone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:39 pm

propane generator, gas generator, c cells, aa cells, 12v deep cycle "marine" battery and 100 gallons of diesl to get there.
tbone

Wind Generator

Postby trocar » Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:11 pm

Well, I figure you are asking about non-petrol based generators. I have been taking out a wind system the last few years. I have about 420 Amp hours worth of batteries and a 400 watt wind generator. It usually provides me with just barely enough energy for the week (i.e. simple dc lights for around camp, charging radios and camcorders and whatnot). One can get a fair ammount of energy out of these systems as long as you stay away from the old inverter. I ran a stripped down 25watt radio station for about 6 hours a day a few years ago on it. That year was pretty windy though.

The down side is the system wasn't all that inexpensive and the damn batteries are 70lbs a piece. Plus you have to set up the tower and all. The sound of the blades spinning is really quite nice.
trocar

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:33 pm

Our camp runs its main grid off a big industrial diesel gennie that's quiet enough to stand next to and speak in normal conversational tones. The owner has expressed openness to using biodiesel so I'm thinking of gently supporting/encouraging that (hey, at least we'll have a way of taking care of our used cooking oil).

We used it to run lights in the kitchen structure and some gelspots and faerie lights in our chill space and we're talking about tricking the camp out with some more lights and such for this year.

Myself, I plan to go 100% battery/solar for my personal camp this year. I'm a big fan of solar, I have twelve of the beveled glass lanterns from Costco and couldn't be happier with them. I even have a Real Goods membership but get almost nothing from them; IMO, they're disgustingly overpriced, even with the 15% discount members get.

However, I'd like to get up on the All carton and put in my pair o' coppers:
Everyone likes to say that petro fuels are evil but take a look at batteries and what they're made of: lead, acid, and cadmium! Any good news there? Remember when the Ray-O-Vac plant exploded in India and killed a number comparable to BRC's populace? If you're using solar during the day to run your fountains, great! But most energy in BRC is used at night and even if you're going solar, that means battery useage. Not an indictment, just a reality check. </Capricorn>
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby calsur » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:24 am

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/wrhq/To ... NV+005+031

NORTHERN WASHOE COUNTY-SURPRISE VALLEY CALIFORNIA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CEDARVILLE...GERLACH

National Weather Service page for the area you want. You need to really dig but I think it will give you what you want.
calsur

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks