Where do you keep your art car/ structure during the year?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Where do you keep your art car/ structure during the year?

Postby BurntJoJo » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:46 pm

This was my first year of Burning man and i was extremely impressed with the time and effort in the amazing art cars and enormus structures...which leads me to my question - where do you keep your art cars/structures throughout the year? Clearly not in your driveway. let me know!
BurntJoJo

Postby tbone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:32 pm

All my stuff fits into my garage.

When I lived in Santa Monica, I had to store my camper in a storage yard. I paid $30 a month because I was willing to drive to Castaic to pick it up. Storing it closer to home would have cost me $100 a month, or more.

Your profile says LA, which could mean a lot. I chose to move to Torrance where I pay less for a 2 bedroom house with a big yard, a two car garage and lots of street parking that I would have paid for a 1 bedroom apt with no parking in Santa Monica or WeHo.

Yup, it isn't as cool and hipster as WeHo or Silverlake, but that isn't what's cool to me.
tbone

happiness is a big back yard!

Postby robotland » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:21 am

When it's not on the playa, my 18' doubledecker dome is my combination "synthaplaya" burn simulation /relaxation space and wintertime tractor and bike barn....It has a completely different skin for Michigan weather, including snow-resistant tarps and mosquito netting!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Jane Eric » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:34 pm

Playa Air is stored on an almond ranch.
Jane Eric

Postby RebA! » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:06 pm

All the pvc for our structure is under our deck, rebar is in the basement as well as all the rest of the rest of the shit we bring out there.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

burner storage co op

Postby alienfry » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:36 am

i live in hipster silverlake. i love it.

and

i have no storage space. would anyone like to go in on one?

i'd like a place we can have tools set up too.

i'm a bus/bike rider, so within 15 miles of silverlake is ideal.

jaredpaul1981@yahoo.com also
aliensoverkathanika@yahoo.com
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Postby ScottV » Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:36 pm

All four 15' diameter dodecahedrons disassemble to take a little space next to the storage shed. Have more trouble storing the ropes, chutes and ground cover.

The Firebowl goes back to the patio.

http://dodeca.prism.asu.edu
http://dodeca.prism.asu.edu/img_4455.jpg

ScottV
ScottV

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:25 pm

Any fabric, PVC, rope, cable, wood poles, steel poles, etc. should be stored dry to prevent rust, corrosion, or other deterioration; and away from heat or sun that might break down synthetic/organic materials. For metal parts such as rebar, nuts & bolts, tarp grommets etc., I'd consider dowsing periodically w/ WD40 or other light oil in a spray bottle. Duffle bags, potato sacks, bank money bags, and such come in handy for sorting and storing.

Some people (or groups) I'd charitably call "lifers", who might also do midsummer trips to the Black Rock Desert in addition to Burning Man, rent storage spaces in Empire or Reno. Use www.superpages.com or similar "yellow pages" search engines and look up under Storage/Empire/NV, Storage/Reno/NV, or somesuch.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks