bladder contol on the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

bladder contol on the playa

Postby lalanalla » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:15 pm

i searched but could not find a related topic. so here is my issue: i go out, have some drinks, partake in various activities - then i have to pee like, every 10 minutes. this makes for some lame adventure nights! how do you - reader with a similar "condition" deal with this? ive thought about an otc overactive bladder control medication. the idea of carrying around a piss jar is not ideal. adult diapers, though an adorable suggestion - are not going to solve this problem. thanks! :D
I'm sorry, I wasn't listening.
lalanalla

Burning Since: 2009

Re: bladder contol on the playa

Postby Sham » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Carry a nalgene bottle in your backpack and use that to pee in. You can step behind a tent or RV and fill 'er up. When you get near a porta potty, you can empty it out.
The last thing you really want to make is splooshie, slippery puddles for people to step in.
Sham

Postby Elorrum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:23 pm

I can think of two things:

find a bar near the portos.

consult an actual doctor.

maybe three, but you'll need to keep hydrating all the time so the third thing will be a trick.
drink less.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Yes, consult an actual real doctor. Pee funnel (if you are built like me) and a bottle will get you through this burn.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby FossaFerox » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 pm

There are plenty of banks of JOTS, I'd suggest keeping the party local, and abstaining if you want to go exploring far and wide.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.
FossaFerox

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:53 pm

lalanalla wrote:i searched but could not find a related topic. so here is my issue: i go out, have some drinks, partake in various activities - then i have to pee like, every 10 minutes. this makes for some lame adventure nights! how do you - reader with a similar "condition" deal with this? ive thought about an otc overactive bladder control medication. the idea of carrying around a piss jar is not ideal. adult diapers, though an adorable suggestion - are not going to solve this problem. thanks! :D

Never ever break the seal...well until the last possible moment that is
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Simple - don't drink beer or mixed drinks when going out. Fine when hanging around camp, but nights in BRC I switch to straight booze for this reason.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 pm

Those wide mouth quart water bottles, many made with now known to be unsavory plastic, should be available cheap or free. The law enforcement entities do ticket people for squat to pee pee on the land and they actually have infrared glasses and look for it, weird, even though urine has essentially no impact on the land. Sure you know, you want your urine to be more clear than yellow, "piss clear", to be sure you do not become dehydrated. It is strongly recommended to take some kind of electrolyte minerals throughout the week.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby BBadger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:10 pm

lucky420 wrote:Never ever break the seal...well until the last possible moment that is

Yeah, once you go, you're going to keep on going. At least put the effort into stretching out that urine sack and practicing those kegels.

On another note, it helps to put lemon, electrolytes, etc. into your drinks so that you can drink less and replenish. I drink way too much water and piss way too much while on the playa, and it sucks. I resolve to drink less (water) this year if possible.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Simple - don't drink beer or mixed drinks when going out. Fine when hanging around camp, but nights in BRC I switch to straight booze for this reason.

Wow, at first I thought you had taken this request for suggestions into fantasy la la land, but you brought it back around nicely.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Jesus Christ, you people worry too much. I've been to the last 15 TTITD and the playa looks like a dalmation after the burn. Pee anywhere you want if you have to go so bad. Even our beautiful ladies have had to, in the heat of the moment, get a "circle" to gather around her (or so I'm told) so she can take care of business. It's an alkali dead lake bed. You pee on it. What's the worst that's going to happen? 10 years ago I made it a mission of mine to lean over the parimeter of Gigsville and Wheeee!ville (nee Barbie Death Village) and piss into their village. Why? Come find me on the playa and I'll tell you. But I meant what I said: You people worry too much.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 pm

BBadger wrote:I drink way too much water and piss way too much while on the playa, and it sucks. I resolve to drink less (water) this year if possible.

OH yeah, something I won't miss.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:38 pm

Oh, and nobody's suggested a catheter, so I'll put it out there so we have all possible options on the table...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:20 pm

SNORT! fishy...

mmm, yeah, no so much of a problem now is it?
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby tahiti_treat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:45 am

Drawingablank wrote:Simple - don't drink beer or mixed drinks when going out. Fine when hanging around camp, but nights in BRC I switch to straight booze for this reason.

This is what I do.
tahiti_treat

Camp Name: NoTown

Postby kittyrodriguez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:26 pm

lucky420 wrote:Never ever break the seal...well until the last possible moment that is

Ha! My husband calls this "the flood gate." The trick is, don't go the first time. Once you go, you've opened the flood gates and now you'll have to go all the time. :lol:
kittyrodriguez

Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 pm

kittyrodriguez wrote:

Ha! My husband calls this "the flood gate." The trick is, don't go the first time. Once you go, you've opened the flood gates and now you'll have to go all the time. :lol:

That sounds like a UTI waiting to happen...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Kitty: so is the ultimate solution the judicious use of clothespins? (-ducking-) :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby kittyrodriguez » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Of course, my statement was only an observation, not advice. Also, physically impossible considering you are there for a week. :shock:
kittyrodriguez

Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:01 pm

kittyrodriguez wrote:Of course, my statement was only an observation, not advice. Also, physically impossible considering you are there for a week. :shock:

Hehehehe. Well, for me it was a visual thingie. :mrgreen: Purely in the interest of science, ya know?
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ohCarie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:19 pm

Like Doc said, stop worrying. I have the same problem in the default world, once I start it's off to the potty every 30 minutes. But somehow the magical universe that is the playa, and dry dry desert, you pee way less. It's shocking! You'll be pleasantly surprised I bet.
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Or you'll be like me in past years and get into this abnormal habit of drinking too much water and pissing too much water-clear piss. It sucks, and I have to make a conscious effort to get out of it when I return to defaultia. Your body doesn't need that much water, much like that 8-glasses-of-water/day lie that is pushed around in the default world.

Of course don't err on the side of too little water, but if you're drinking and pissing too much, find out if it's because you're drinking too much out of habit, your body needs to flush out toxins (alcohol, etc.), or maybe your body is depleted of chemicals that are normally in your water in quantities that are too little (like electrolytes or acids). If you're eating foods that have water in them like soup you don't need as much water. If you're thirsty, but obviously hydrated, you might need more electrolytes. If you're pissing because you drank too much alcohol, well, that's just what's going to happen.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm

The trick to peeing less frequently is to be well hydrated weeks before you arrive, that way when the zero humidity hits you're not playing catch up. Serious. I've lived at the potties for 14 years & have lived at the work ranch before.
Getting well loaded right now is my best advice.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 pm

robbidobbs wrote:The trick to peeing less frequently is to be well hydrated weeks before you arrive, that way when the zero humidity hits you're not playing catch up. Serious. I've lived at the potties for 14 years & have lived at the work ranch before.
Getting well loaded right now is my best advice.

Seconded - I drink a lot of water daily - that & coconut water are pretty much all I drink around the house (and I primarily work at home). I have very little problem with "over peeing" on the playa.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks