Remembering your shifts

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Remembering your shifts

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:54 pm

So...

I signed up for a couple of volunteer shifts this year outside of just camp activities. I'm so used to depending on my phone now for remembering appointments, that I'm a bit concerned about missing a shift. Anyone have any brilliant ideas or methods they use to be in the right place at the right time? Everything is printed out and I'll have a watch, but without some audible reminder I'm worried that I'll lose track of time while doing whatever just distracted me out on the playa.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Remembering your shifts

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Since I do not have one of those magic phone, I still use a paper calendar in my default life; which I have recorded my volunteer commitments and which I will be bringing it with me.

Other than a paper calendar, I am fresh out of reasonable offerings.
The chassis may have some miles on it, but the motor still runs good - Most times.......
Meat Hunter

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Black Rock Travel Agency - Airport

Postby Ano » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:26 pm

A watch and a heavy dose of discipline. It's very easy to lose track of time out there. Within two hours of one of my shifts, I head back to camp, and make every effort to skip out on that shiny thing over there. Once I'm in camp, I immediately get ready for my shift, and then I immediately head to where I need to be... I'm there an hour or more early, but I'll usually just hang out with other people until I'm ready. I also make an effort to schedule my shifts at the same time each day, so that I know that X time is the time to work... although this year I threw that out the window and work all over the fucking place. Whoops.

Also, I make a distinct effort to never "go out" in the clothes I wear for my shift (we kinda have a uniform), so that my subconscious brain knows that it's time for business when I'm wearing the Kilt with the Vest.

I know someone who kept their phone on airplane mode/no data, turned it all the way up, and set a few alarms for an hour before their shift, and then carried it around while also using it as a camera for random points of the day.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:39 pm

I usually take on 7 or so volunteer shifts between Greeters and Cafe. I try to plan my day around these windows and make sure to be back in camp in plenty of time to get ready and allow time to make it on time if not early. It helps that most of my shifts are first thing in the morning and I set an alarm in my tent.
Don't go complicating my reality with facts.

Destiny Lounge Returns for 2015! Are you ready for... The Vortex of Destiny?!?!
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby Ratty » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Bring a watch. Hook it to your pack. For writing things down I use a sharpie and a tyvek envelope from fedex or USPS. It won't rip. It will be there wadded up in your pack. If you don't cut it up it can double as a moop bag. Turn it it inside out to get a big, blank surface. Bring a couple of ultra fine point sharpies.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm low-tech about it. I make a Word document with every day I'll be there listed. It lists all known shifts and other must-attend things, plus some white space. I print a second document for the addresses of friends and events that simply might be fun. (I don't like to have Needs and Wants on the same list.)

I fold each document in half and use a binder clip to keep em shut, and these never leave the Day Bag. (I actually use the Day Bag even at night if I have a shift, because it can hold more supplies).

I also keep a travel alarm clock in my tent (which is also useful for napping without sleeping the night away) and a pocket watch with a caribeener clip on my bag.

Like Ratty, I use fine-tip sharpies for writing out there. Ballpoint fails quickly.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:06 pm

I work 1-2 shifts per day, every day I am on the playa. I have a watch, and an alarm clock. I write down every shift on a notepad that I carry in my backpack. Every day after my shift, I check to make sure i have the next shift time correct. I use the alarm to remind me 2 hours before my shift. Since my shifts could happen at 6am, noon, 6pm or midnight - I have to know what is next. Since adapting that method, I have forgotten about any shifts.

I have a "Shift Backpack" with everything I could need on a shift pre-packed. (meds, water, coconut juice, snacks, warmer clothing, flashlight & spare batteries, etc.) I make sure to restock everything after each shift. So, when I need to go on-shift I grab & go. Yes, I move the notebook from my walk-around backpack to my shift backpack.

It really sucks to be ready & willing to work and then finding out that other people have flaked out and missed their shift. It got so bad that my dept now has sanctions against you when you miss shifts. So, don't be one of "those people"...

Hope this helps.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:08 pm

I'm probably so paranoid about this I'll show up hours early!

All good suggestions. Two of them are early morning, so double alarms for me there should work well enough.

I was thinking of like a digital keychain that can give an alarm for appointments.

Or perhaps I can use the sharpies on my arm to remember...

I've never missed something I was supposed to do in camp, so I'm probably overthinking this, but Rice, I also love the idea of a shift backpack so I can just grab and go.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Rice » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 pm

VultureChow wrote:I'm probably so paranoid about this I'll show up hours early!

All good suggestions. Two of them are early morning, so double alarms for me there should work well enough.

I was thinking of like a digital keychain that can give an alarm for appointments.

Or perhaps I can use the sharpies on my arm to remember...

I've never missed something I was supposed to do in camp, so I'm probably overthinking this, but Rice, I also love the idea of a shift backpack so I can just grab and go.

Thanks.

It can keep me going for over 12 hours. I have been stranded out on-shift for hours with no stress as a result.

I set 2 alarms for the noon, 6pm shifts, and 4 alarms for the 6am and midnight shifts - I am more likely to be out cold in the early evening or morning. (in 2010 I kept missing the stupid bus due to one alarm, it would wake me up as it was going by. I never missed a shift, but was late more than 0 times.)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Neither of these suggestions will help VultureChow now, but may help others in the future:

- All of my volunteer shifts are at the same time each day. So when it nears roughly "that time" of day, I impulsively start glancing at my watch to gauge when to head to work.

- There are plenty of volunteer opportunities that don't need to be signed up for in advance. Lamplighters and Recycle Camp come to mind, but Playa Info has a whole list of options on any given day.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 pm

VultureChow wrote:I was thinking of like a digital keychain that can give an alarm for appointments.

there are also little timers, counting down to alarm, for pill reminders, or cooking, or keychain alarm clocks. cheapo digital watch with alarm as well.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
There’s no WIFI but you’ll surely make a better connection.
Elorrum

Postby bluemiragemi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 am

I bought a cheap hot pink watch and I plan to print out my google calendar before leaving. Good question!
~ Em
bluemiragemi

Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm

I use my phone.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 pm

I use my phone too. Switch it to airplane mode (if your device has it) and quit all the other apps you may have running. Most modern devices should get great battery life if the radios are off. Keep it powered completely off on the days you don't need it, power it on for the days/nights you need to worry about the alarm. Then for added measure, let a campmate know that you know is also trying to be mindful of schedules. Buddy systems can be helpful in those situations.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Word. I'm switching to cheap but reliable phone for event. Keep it on airplane mode.
I only need to wake up, as I don't go off shift until dusk anyway.
I like the fedex bag & sharpie idea for those whose schedule changes.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby demeter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:30 am

I'm using my FitBit! You can set it to have vibrating reminders at specific times. I'm going to set it to go off with enough time for me to return to camp and get ready for my shift. That way, I'll get the reminder on my wrist without relying on clocks and cell phones.
demeter

Camp Name: Stag Camp!!

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:07 am

All my methods have been mentioned, which means I'm not smarter than anybody else today! :lol:

All shifts at same hour.

Typed schedule for all the days I'm there. I've been building it in MSWord since last year.

Old-fashioned travel alarm clocks -- two or three for waking up, for my shifts; and one in my pocket, for any other key events. All kept in zip-lock bags to keep them healthy. All with new batteries.

Once in a long while I write on top of my left hand, but it tends to come off, and I get accustomed to it being there before I need it.

Definitely a backpack just for shifts, and I make it ready for the next shift at the end of shifts.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

---------------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!---------------

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks