Is it too late to get married at burning man 2014?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Is it too late to get married at burning man 2014?

Postby spudric » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:39 pm

Hello burners

Myself and my fiance would love to get married at Burning Man 2014.

Does anyone know if it is too late to arrange to get married at Burning Man this year?
spudric

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Is it too late to get married at burning man 2014?

Postby BBadger » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Why don't you just say "I do" on the playa in front of a shirtcocking "preacher" wearing a top-hat and fill out all the boring paperwork in a courthouse when you get back?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Stickygreen » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:30 am

)'(
Stickygreen

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:49 am

You should be able to find a priest, priestess, shaman or goddess without a problem, but most venues are booked a year in advance, and the catering is not that great. They don't even have a sushi station available.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby tatonka » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:58 am

back in 1974 I sent away 5.00 to become a minister , got my card . So let me find my card and your good to go.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Fan C » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am

tatonka wrote:back in 1974 I sent away 5.00 to become a minister , got my card . So let me find my card and your good to go.

Bingo. Getting married no problem, having a wedding? I dunno how crazy you planning?
Fan C

Camp Name: live fast die

Postby Mojojita » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:31 am

Check the weddings thread and contact them for the laws in Nevada. The officiant must be registered in Nevada or have special permission to perform a specific wedding there. Then, you need to get a license at the County (is in Lovelock).

I have performed several weddings on the playa and since I'm from California, there were some hoops to jump through but you probably have just enough time.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby andy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:27 pm

As the previous poster correctly pointed out, out-of-state officiants need a one-wedding permit for each wedding they perform, and the application can theoretically take 30 days to process, though it's probably less. So the earlier posted who said he has an ordination and "you're good to go" would be correct in California but not in Nevada. For instance, I have an ordination but can't get a "generic" permit, it has to be for a specific named bride and groom on a specific day. You have enough time but just barely. Contact weddings@burningman.cm and they can help you - and congratulations!
andy

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Mojojita wrote:Check the weddings thread and contact them for the laws in Nevada. The officiant must be registered in Nevada or have special permission to perform a specific wedding there.

And Nevada doesn't recognize the mail-in ministers. I know, I am one, and friends wanted me to be their officiant. Not do-able. I was able to perform my nieces wedding in Wyoming however, so all was good.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby andy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:49 pm

[quote="BBadger"]Why don't you just say "I do" on the playa in front of a shirtcocking "preacher" wearing a top-hat and fill out all the boring paperwork in a courthouse when you get back?[/quote]

You can, but a legal wedding anywhere in the US requires a license *followed* by a solemnization. For instance, many people have two ceremonies, a religious one and a civil one. One of my friends in a mixed-faith marriage had 3 ceremonies - Christian, Hindu, and civil. At least one of them must be *after* you get the license. In some places, the clerk handing you the license can perform the legal ceremony on the spot after handing you your license. However your playa wedding in that case would just be a fun ceremony with no legal weight.

Also, FWIW, it's illegal in Nevada for a person to perform a marriage without that permission, although the marriage itself is still valid as long as the couple believed that the person was legally permitted to perform the marriage. The officiant can be fined up to $1,000 and sent to jail for 6 months, unlikely as it may be.
andy

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm moving this over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general preparation questions.

Others have already answered it.

Andy, I believe the law and fines are aimed at those who are posing as or pretending to be the real deal (wedding scammers have been a problem in Vegas and Reno). While technically someone could make the argument, I can't see the state or even Pershing county expending resources to check up on weddings on the playa. No playa wedding should ever be mistaken as real unless you've done all the necessary legal paperwork and have seen some credentials.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby andy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:02 pm

@Trilobyte, I agree that there is virtually no risk to the officiant. I was pointing out that an earlier poster who suggested having the ceremony first and then getting the license would not produce a legal wedding.

As an ordained ULC minister, who has performed 3 weddings, I've looked at the case law surrounding what we'll call "occasional" ministers. Some of these cases have gone to higher courts in various states. Here's the interesting point - it's NEVER the state who claims the marriage is invalid. It's ONE OF THE PARTIES when things go sour, who wants to claim that he/she was never legally married to the other person and so doesn't owe alimony, or the other person is not entitled to a share of the property. In the history of ULC, most judges have ruled the marriages legal, but in a few cases they have not.
andy

Postby Zrob » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:56 pm

andy wrote:
BBadger wrote:Why don't you just say "I do" on the playa in front of a shirtcocking "preacher" wearing a top-hat and fill out all the boring paperwork in a courthouse when you get back?

You can, but a legal wedding anywhere in the US requires a license *followed* by a solemnization.

Not in Colorado or any other state with Self-Solemnization. Actually the way you put your way then every wedding I've ever been to has been performed incorrectly. It get the license -> Have the ceremony -> sign the license during the reception. That's how my grandparents, parents, every relative I can think of, myself my first time around did it (was living in Ohio then)......
Funny thing, most Christian officiants won't sign the document until after the perform the ceremony.
Leave the chicken/egg thing for the religious people. The fact is when the license is -SIGNED- by the officiant and/or the participants (depending on state law) the parties are then considered married by the state. Not before.
Zrob

Camp Name: Pump's Raiders

Postby Fan C » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Eric wrote:And Nevada doesn't recognize the mail-in ministers. I know, I am one, and friends wanted me to be their officiant. Not do-able. I was able to perform my nieces wedding in Wyoming however, so all was good.

Hahaha, that's interesting. Drive through weddings are ok though. Silly state.
Fan C

Camp Name: live fast die

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:09 pm

andy wrote:However your playa wedding in that case would just be a fun ceremony with no legal weight.

That's really what I'm implying: have your "wedding" ceremony on the playa, and do all that whatever-legal-stuff-is-required bullshit back in Defaultia.

I mean really, what does having the "official" wedding on the playa really gain you? Props at parties? A checkmark on a bucket list?

It all seems as empty and superficial as caring that the back of a card someone got you has a Hallmark-brand symbol.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ArmadilloP » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi!

I'm Armadillo, the Burning Man Wedding Coordinator!

No, it's not too late, but you better hurry! The officiants need to get their paperwork to Pershing County by August 8th!

Contact me at weddings (at) burningman (dot) com for more information!

Armadillo
Burning Man Wedding Coordinator
weddings (at) burningman (dot) com

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/black-ro ... id=1912851
ArmadilloP

Postby caffeineslinger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Armadillo rocks!
She totally hooked us up. We've got our third year anny coming up.
caffeineslinger

Burning Since: 2003

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks