Electronics in hot RV all day question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Electronics in hot RV all day question

Postby FireflyTX » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:23 am

I do not plan on using my laptop, IPad or phone or anything of the sort at Burning Man BUT I am using that stuff on the drive out and back to keep me busy. My concern is that it is going to sit in the hot RV all day. Will my things get ruined? Is there any tricks to storing them while at Burning man to keep them from getting heat damage. I thought maybe double ziploc bagging and putting in the fridge or cooler or will that be worse?
Miss Black Rock City 2014
Miss Burning Flipside 2013
Burning Texas Flipizen since 2008
FireflyTX

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Burning Sky

Re: Electronics in hot RV all day question

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:47 am

I would suggest putting them in ziploc baggies and getting them out of the car. The car is probably the worst place for them in the heat of the day.

I wouldnt put them in a cooler however. Just somewhere in the shade, where they wont get crunched, ideally inside something light-colored. (FWIW, my stuff gets packed in a duffle with the dirty socks and underwear. Gives it some protection from random jolts while keeping the attraction factor down. Not many people would consider dirty laundry a prime first target for theft)
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:18 am

Welcome!

A well known strategy is to cover completely the windows of the vehicle with mylar "space blankets", cut to the exact size of the window with scissors, and attached to the *outside* of the window, taped *completely around the edges* with 2" wide 3M blue painter's tape. The adhesive on the blue tape comes off without any damage at the end of the event.

With that treatment, a light colored vehicle will generally stay cool enough to sleep in, well within the storage and even operating temperature range of electronics.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby shroom » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:35 am

I left my cell phone under the seat of my car when I went. It was fine. I'd say just store your items somewhere out of direct sun light. If you're too worried don't bring it.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby FireflyTX » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:45 am

Love the mylar blanket tip!!! We knew to tape our windows but didn't know about that. I would leave the stuff home but driving 2 days (or more) each way I will go nuts with no music and such. Also using phones for GPS and keeping in touch with family on the way out and back to know how our 4 year old is doing.
FireflyTX

Postby CaffeineGirl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:50 am

A couple of years ago my cell phone died a week or two after TTITD after being left in a partially shaded RV every day. Now I zip up electronics in a small softsided cooler that I leave open at night to let cool air in (I do not add anything wet). No problems any more. I also have a few meds that are not supposed to get really hot, so those get stored in there also.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Train Wreck » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:44 am

I've used a small cooler for cell phones and the like as well. No ice needed, I just put it in the yurt. A good shady spot, or a vehicle with mylar shades in the windows as mentioned before would probably work just as fine.

If you're really concerned for your gadgets and don't plan on using them during the event you could always duct tape the seam on the cooler to keep the dust out.
Train Wreck

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Boobie's Water Pub

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:17 pm

We only use the mylar on a couple of windows (we like to be able to look out of the RV when we're eating or whatever) and have never had any trouble with our electronics. I put my phone in a ziplock & don't worry about it, the bosses laptops go into their laptop bags, all are kept in shaded safe spots.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Fidget » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 am

I shut my electronics off the moment we hit the playa and tossed them in a drawer in the back of the RV and they were totally fine. I never felt like they held any heat in them when I had to dig around them for some other things - you should be fine.
Maybe just dont leave them on the dash. ;)
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Fidget

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:59 am

You know, back in the mists of time, the cave men (and early burners) didn't need phones, iPads, or laptops to "keep them busy". Besides story-telling, looking at the vast expanses of the west roll by the window, and knapping Clovis points, they "read".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Train Wreck » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:18 pm

What is this reading thing you speak of?
Train Wreck

Camp Name: Boobie's Water Pub

Postby pink » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:47 pm

I use Mylar bubble wrap on my van conversion, only leave on little window uncovered for a bit of light. The a/c doesn't work, so I only have the bubble wrap keeping it cool. That said, no issues with my iPod or phone in the van all week. You really want to use the insulation stuff...it makes ALL the difference!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby jneilvindy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:51 pm

Train Wreck wrote:What is this reading thing you speak of?

I think it's that thing that happens when you press the button on your electronic device and it "reads" to you.

My car and tablet read to me all the time, I love reading!
jneilvindy

Postby FireflyTX » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:31 am

Yes, I knew some folks were going to be like "Oh just leave them home" I don't think listening to music is a big deal while I am working on my art projects and staying in touch with my 3 year old on the trip is a reasonable enough reason to bring a couple items that will be stored. It's also nice when you are in an older RV that if you have mechanical issues you have some mode of communication. Thanks so much for all the tips!! I am so excited !!!
FireflyTX

Postby skippy3k » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:45 am

For what it's worth, we have kids that we miss terribly each year when we go. (Talk has begun on bringing them with us next time...) But just be emotionally prepared if you don't have a working signal out there. The first year we went, we figured we could find SOME location with a signal so we could check on the kids. We couldn't and felt disconnected and panicky. The next year we agreed to just put it out of our mind and put the electronics away. Much, much better and have adopted that approach since. For my wife, she felt better having the expectation beforehand that communication wasn't going to happen. For me, (and I hope this doesn't sound bad) not hearing my children's voice helped with the pain of being away from them.

I've heard there are some camps setting up wireless hotspots, but I've never found them. And never really looked that hard.

So this is all to say, we have had great luck putting the devices in a ziplock bag, wrapping it up in something padded and soft (dirty underwear?) and forgetting about it.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Burning Since: 2009

Postby FireflyTX » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah ,I am figuring my phone won't work at Burning Man. More for the travel days before and after since that part itself will be about 5 days total.
FireflyTX

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:21 am

Some of the services (Verizon, for example) will have enough signal to send a text or two. Early in the week, you can get a call out. Sometimes. Maybe. We just put our phones in the center console of the vehicle and they've been fine.

We learned about Larry's sister's cancer while on the playa, a family emergency was only way we learned our Verizon service works sporadically there. We have OnStar now, technically we could place a call through the pickup's "phone". If anyone had a real emergency, we'd offer that. Sssh. Work is never an emergency.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks