Black Rock City, Nevada 89412

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Black Rock City, Nevada 89412

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:26 am

If someone wished to send a post cards out of the city from the Black Rock City post office (Black Rock City, Nevada 89412) are there any Burning Man post cards available in the city or should one plan on bringing their own post cards?
Meat Hunter

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Black Rock Travel Agency - Airport

Re: Black Rock City, Nevada 89412

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:32 am

Meat Hunter wrote:If someone wished to send a post cards out of the city from the Black Rock City post office (Black Rock City, Nevada 89412) are there any Burning Man post cards available in the city or should one plan on bringing their own post cards?

They do exist but I'd still say make some and bring them.
Obtaining any particular swag is hit-&-miss.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:47 am

Burning Man is a do-acracy. Do it yourself if you want to see it done.

Also, bring stamps!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:30 pm

The most apropos stamp to get in my opinion is the one celebrating Nevada's sesquicentennial (150 years). Though last year, there was a lovely young lady that gifted me some customized 'Burning Man' stamps that she had manufactured that are legal postage (thank you, lovely lady).

Not a bad idea to gift a roll of stamps to the post office folks, either. I did that at the 9:00 plaza one year, and they are soup-er people if you know who I'm talking about.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Always bring your own postcards and stamps, if you're interested in such things. :) You might encounter them somehow, but there is no guarantee.

Giving a spare stamped postcard to the romantic sort of soul who enjoys sending snail mail would also make a nice, easy, charming gift.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm

Savannah wrote:Giving a spare stamped postcard to the romantic sort of soul who enjoys sending snail mail would also make a nice, easy, charming gift.

Checklist of things to do, pack stamped postcards for meet and greet.......

A couple times the folks at the post office had postcards they gave me, no stamps.....but they wanted to see what I had for them first. They looked thru my small stack of postcards, picked out a few with a critical eye, and returned the bulk, then gave me a couple of their own. So even with the chance you get a postcard from the BRC post office, it's best that you make/bring your own.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Jovankat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Ooo I have a bag of blank postcards I collected but never used back when I used to be into penpaling. I've been thinking of just getting rid of them. I might bring them along and leave them with the post office for gifting.
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Hey Jovan, have people address stamped cards, you too, to themselves, relatives, family, and then give cards to different people to fill out, retrieve, mail. Everyone gets a postcard from some unexpected perspective.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Jovankat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Oh I like that idea a lot!!
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 pm

I just had a look on the USPS website, does $0.40 (domestic) and $1.15 (international) sound right for the cost of postage?
Jovankat

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:45 am

Jovankat wrote:I just had a look on the USPS website, does $0.40 (domestic) and $1.15 (international) sound right for the cost of postage?

Depends on the size; the current domestic rates are here: http://postcalc.usps.gov/postcards.aspx

Current international rate: http://ircalc.usps.gov/postcards.aspx?country=10440&m=8&p=0&o=1
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Jovankat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks, that was clearer than the page I was looking at.
Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:05 am

Ok I counted and I have 94 postcards and 3 blank cards I can bring from my stash of penpal supplies. There is also the vast collection of postcards I collected just cause they look nice... But since these are mostly free promotional postcards I'm going to have to paint or paste over the backs so people can write on them and that might take a bit of work. Also stamps cost money.

I'm thinking I might make a post box and set it up with a little table for people to write on. Either out the front of my camp or in the open playa. My plan is to put the call out to people here and on various burny Facebbok pages for people who wold like to receive a postcard from a random burner. Then I'll address a bunch of the cards with those addresses and there can be two piles; one of addressed cards to have messages written on and blank cards for people to write their own (or their friends) addresses on to leave. I would collect the completed cards from inside the post box daily, stamp them and post them at the post office. Obviously everything would be stored in boxes or something so things couldn't blow away.

My questions are thus;

a. Does this seem like a good idea?

b. Will I be stepping on the Post Office camp's toes by doing this?

c. How does 100 postcards sound as a number? I can get more but paying for the postage might be pushing it....

d. If you think 100 would be gone by Tuesday and I should get more do you think a kickstarter to raise a couple of hundred dollars just for postage would be reasonable?

These are the post cards I have;
10552003_10152490761620100_1230684329_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jovankat

Postby Omitimo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 am

^sounds like a good idea to me. I was thinking how fun Random post cards would be.
I just started picking up some, too bad it seems, the only thing MN has going on is Loons and a cherry on a spoon.
Check thrift stores and rummage sales. Post an ad on Craigslist and see if you can find used ones,
We can always white out anything already on it. I'll let you know how my search works.
I will also create my own with poster board or some such.
Easy peasy , lemon squeezy.
-lemme know when my post count is high enough for me to be a jerk too
Omitimo

Camp Name: Hammer & Cyclery

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:19 am

I did a Google search and found two BM themed post cards. Kind of pricey, 8 for $9+.
Meat Hunter

Camp Name: Black Rock Travel Agency - Airport

Postby Jovankat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:32 am

If this goes well and I manage to take a couple of cool pictures this year next year I could get actual burning man themed postcards printed.
Jovankat

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:37 am

I googled DIY postcards and there are plenty of options.

Print some with a satellite picture of BRC so people can do the red circle "this is my room" thing! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Omitimo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 am

Great idea, Figjam.

Being a cyclist and working on said cycles, I often get greasy chain imprints on foreams, calves and shirts.
I will use greasy chain for imprinting or branding a BM shape on the Postcards, and I am looking for a hook-up on bulk shirts
so folks can create their own at camp while having their bike repaired.
-lemme know when my post count is high enough for me to be a jerk too
Omitimo

Camp Name: Hammer & Cyclery

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:55 am

Bring (or make) your own postcards, and bring postage. If you're flying into the country through Reno and don't have the time or option to stop at a post office, ask at the grocery store. Many times, they'll be able to sell you a book of stamps (or may have a stamp machine) at the customer service counter.

I'll also link to this excellent thread from Zhust. It's got all the nuts and bolts you'd need for sending/receiving mail on the playa.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:58 am

I'll also add that having a sign with the camp name on it out front greatly increases the odds that something sent to you will actually make it.

In addition, BRCPO (with branches in the 3:00, 9:00, and Center Camp plazas) are great 'walk up' volunteer opportunities. They can always use a hand delivering messages, and it's a fun way to explore the neighborhood and meet people. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:38 pm

Fuck. I have all those Parasite Pals valentines. Those would have been perfect.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks