Arts and Crafts

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Arts and Crafts

Postby PermaBurgin » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 pm

My mom has the option to purchase a Burning man ticket. She enjoys arts and crafts, embroidery in particular, but also making jewelry and such. She wants to know if there is a camp or village that might match her interests, or that she might be able to teach a workshop in embroidery at.
PermaBurgin

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Arts and Crafts

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I bet if she asked around she'd find people, no matter where she camped. You might try Dye With Dignity--as it's already a fabric arts camp. Note: The Dye Days exhaust the campers, so she might have to work without much of a net.
But if when she gets there on Monday, she spends a couple hours on Tuesday putting up signs and talking to neighbors for a workshop on wednesday or thursday, she'll get some people. Embroidery can be such a focused thing and the burn can be so ADD, that I suggest your mother "let go of expectations" and do what seems right to her in the moment, and enjoy herself whether she teaches anyone embroidery or not.
She also might try costume camps.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lonesomebri » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:21 pm

She should go, for inspiration if nothing else. Are you going? Does she have camp support? That is the larger issue, influencing her enjoyment of the event. Just curious, they have the very simple camps with spray paint and stencils set out on the avenues, for people to decorate their shirts... How hard, easy, quick is it to embroider a simple Man emblem on the back of a shirt? Under an hour, under a high school education? Quick and easy enough to cater to the ADD crowd? I bet mom could get a few people interested in that. Heck, she can go sit in Center Camp and interest others.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:25 pm

I was going to suggest center camp, too. But my post was all over the place, and I forgot. Thanks, bri.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby PermaBurgin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:How hard, easy, quick is it to embroider a simple Man emblem on the back of a shirt? Under an hour, under a high school education? Quick and easy enough to cater to the ADD crowd? I bet mom could get a few people interested in that. Heck, she can go sit in Center Camp and interest others.

Yeah about an hour, including the teaching. I've been looking into center camp, but she had the idea that burning man was like a giant craft show, and i didn't really want to say it wasn't when it is so many other things that it might be a craft show as well. Dye With Dignity was a camp I was looking at for her but I doubt it would hold her attention very long. Kostume Kult is the best fit, but is maybe not arts-and-craftsy enough to justify a week in the desert for her.

Nobody knows of any craft-specific villages or camps? She also does beadwork, sewing, knitting, all that fun stuff.
PermaBurgin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:50 pm

If you have a daily get together and knit thing--people would come.

And honestly, there's so much beautiful stuff that she could wander the streets every day, see amazing examples of all sorts of crafts, and talk to most of the artists in person. I don't think it's exactly what she's looking for, but I don't think that it's therefore not worth her time.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 pm

PermaBurgin wrote:but she had the idea that burning man was like a giant craft show, and i didn't really want to say it wasn't...

It's going to be tough keeping the truth a secret from your Mom.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Ouch
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby PermaBurgin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
PermaBurgin wrote:but she had the idea that burning man was like a giant craft show, and i didn't really want to say it wasn't...

It's going to be tough keeping the truth a secret from your Mom.

The rest of the quote is "when it's so many other things it might be a craft show as well".
PermaBurgin

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:10 am

tamarakay wrote:Ouch

It's cool, we cool 8)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks