Canvas?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Canvas?

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:28 pm

We are looking at replacing the carpeting we have used to carpet the front of our camp with something lighter and more flexible. We were considering using either canvas drop cloths or canvas tarps. The drop cloths are of course ligher, cheaper, and machine washable whereas the tarps are more heavy duty but not really machine washable. Would drop cloths work to keep the dust down and survive a few years or would we be better off going the canvas tarp route even though it would be much more trouble in the end getting it clean?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Canvas?

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Out the door of that RV.. I say news paper.. That is until the doc is trained a little better..

Getting the tarp clean?? Wash it and the stains are battle scares.. I don't think it would be better than carpet..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:43 pm

I've used canvas drop cloth on the playa and it held up well - but my shade doesn't get anywhere close to the amount of traffic BDC gets. It serves to keep the dust from kicking up, and is great for catching / containing spills. Pushing a big nail (8 inches long iirc) through the hem every 2 feet or so held it in place well since it is flat on the ground so the wind doesn't get much of a bite on it.

Not sure why you would bother washing it though unless stained by spills. The dust shakes off well and it is nearly identical in color to the playa so will look the same either way.

Canvas tarps would probably hold up better, but are substantially heavier and bulkier to store.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Maybe the drop cloths would be too light when the wind comes up. We're talking about 1600 square feet and that would require a lot of nails or something. But would tarps be any less likely to get blown away or be a huge hassle?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:52 pm

I used a canvas tarp for the floor of my monkey hut. Loved it. But it is bulky and heavy for it's size. Is this to replace the outdoor carpeting? A home grade outdoor carpeting solution would be about the same price and probably be easier to work with.

Not the deep pile stuff we used last year.

I just hosed the thing down repeatedly outside. But the stains do not come out well. It might not be the look you're going for.

Also, someone once mentioned used billboard vinyl as a floor. You just need to find a barbie billboard and stake it out.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Maybe the drop cloths would be too light when the wind comes up. We're talking about 1600 square feet and that would require a lot of nails or something. But would tarps be any less likely to get blown away or be a huge hassle?

I'd be more worried about trips and rips than the wind.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby asr9754 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:02 pm

No exp with usage as flooring, but we used several canvas drop cloths strung up as part of our Dome cover, and they held up quite well in the wind and dust. The wind didn't tatter them yet and they are on their way for Round 3 soon. But yes I would think the edges would need to be fastened down or foot traffic would bunch them up and the wind might grab them.
asr9754

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:34 pm

Billboard vinyl usually comes in 15'x45' pieces for $20 apiece.

Tough as tarps, but lighter.

I think a big nail and washer every 8' should secure it.

One side is the white raw vinyl and will have to be the side against the playa as the off gassing is very strong.

The smell eventually goes away.

Clear Channel are the main billboard contractors in the US.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Jackass » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:37 pm

With all that poly and vinyl you'll probably build up a shit load of static electricity, discharging constantly will become a pain literally. I'd say canvas or those fake Persian rugs from China.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Oldguy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:17 pm

I use a tent made of 14 oz. Sunforger canvas and a 4x12 runner of 14 oz. that have held up since 2005. The runner is used as a central ground cloth in the tent and as a porch thru the door. I tried a lightweight painter's tarp that was thinner. A highheel will punch thru it. But it is fine as a windscreen. My local laundry has commercial size washers and dryers that are big enough to use.

Painting a tarp adds strength but also weight. A latex or rubber based paint with fiberglass particles ( RV roof paint ) will last a long time. Paint both sides with this flexible water sealer and just hose it down in a carwash in Reno.

I think a trucker's tarp would last also.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby tamarakay » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:15 pm

We use this http://t.homedepot.com/p/Sigman-11-ft-6-in-x-14-ft-6-in-8-oz-Canvas-Drop-Cloth-CD081215/203006524/

Red wine and a container of dye was spilled and I was worried what the playa underneath would look like, but the tarp sucked all the color up. We used washers and large nails around the edges. No trips or lifting in the wind. It's held up extremely well, just a hose off and all is well.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Token » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Dumpster dive a convention center after a big tech trade show. Lots of companies dump all their stuff cuz it's cheaper than shipping it to wherever.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:41 pm

I've used a couple small canvas drop cloths on the playa for various projects, they've worked out well.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby 2WheelGuy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 am

I camp in the desert north of Moab for 2 to 3 months each year and use an outdoor felt fabric for the floor of my shelter sold by Home Depot; about a 1/8 inch thick, rolls up nice, 12 feet wide. Granite gray in color, Lightweight and inexpensive; does not tear easily even when wet
Living life on the road, going where the weather suits my clothes.....
2WheelGuy

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp Neu Verboten

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks