Playa Info Digital Directory?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Playa Info Digital Directory?

Postby ProfessorChaos » Tue May 20, 2014 4:31 pm

My camp is concerned about how everyone is going to find one another since we have no idea where we will be camping and we are coming from all over the country- Seattle, Denver, San Diego, SF, and Miami. Some people are coming in Sunday night, others on Thursday. I consulted the survival guide and it mentioned the Playa Info Digital Directory.

Page 5
Use the Playa Info Digital Directory to register yourself and your camp location and to find your friends. You can exchange messages, find and post theme camp locations and event schedules,ride-shares, and other services and information via the online Digital Directory network (note:there is no Internet access available via these computers). Playa Info’s big BRC map shows public theme camp locations, and bulletin boards are always available for artful posting

Where are these computers? How easy are they to find? Do they work? How do I register on it??? AHHHH so many questions the guide didn't answer!!!! Help?

Thank you! :D
ProfessorChaos

Burning Since: 2014

Re: Playa Info Digital Directory?

Postby asr9754 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:53 pm

This has shown up in lots of other threads, but to summarize:

1) Your group should decide on a general zone to start your search for a camp site (such as 3:00 and E) as well as a driving route thru the City to get there.
2) Keep in touch while driving thru Nevada, so you know who's in the lead
3) The first group through the gate aims for your zone and finds a camp spot.
4) Once you find a spot, park and send a runner back to put your homemade signs (IE: Camp Chaos, 3:15 and H) at key intersections along your agreed-upon driving route . You can duct tape your sign to the existing street posts. Go back and remove them later in the week.
5) at the same time, send a runner to the Kiosks to post on the bulletin board or computer.
6) Meanwhile, someone can try to get a cell signal to text your friends (this can work sometimes, esp if your second shift isn't arriving til Thursday).
Your runners should be Vets or people w/ good directionality who can find their way back to you.

When your secondary groups arrive, they aim for your general zone, looking for the signs as they go. If they still can't find you, they send a runner to check at the kiosk.
The Bulletin Board at Center Camp is easy to find but best if you send someone on a bike instead of driving a whole caravan there. It's a busy place. The bulletin boards and kiosk maps are easy to use once you're there, you'll figure it out. I think the digital kiosk holds limited hours, but the bulletin board maps are usually up all the time as I remember. Worst case scenario, you'll have to wait till the next morning to find your friends.

Everyone goes through this and it generally works out fine. Just have a plan ahead of time and make sure ALL your drivers are aware of your plan. Make sure you all know what you're looking for (type of vehicles, RVs, structures, etc).

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 86&t=66336
Last edited by asr9754 on Tue May 20, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asr9754

Postby FIGJAM » Tue May 20, 2014 5:03 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ProfessorChaos » Tue May 20, 2014 5:23 pm

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!!! Hugely helpful!!! :) Sending many positive vibes your way stranger!
ProfessorChaos

Postby Token » Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 pm

You know the super cool thing about the random signs on the road to various destinations:

Culture Jamming.

A simple 45 Degree turn of a sign starts an adventure of a lifetime.

I love messing with folks and this sign -post advice was just the right kind of mischief.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Tue May 20, 2014 5:41 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Where are these computers? How easy are they to find? Do they work? How do I register on it??? AHHHH so many questions the guide didn't answer!!!! Help?

Thank you! :D

Playa Info is located in the circle road around Center Camp.

There is a huge fucking sign and flag.

Yes, they work rather well.

You use a keyboard and mouse when you get there to enter your stuff in.

This is the ONLY reliable means to pass information. All other means are subject to jack-assery, mischief and intentional experimentation in culture.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby ProfessorChaos » Wed May 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Token wrote:You know the super cool thing about the random signs on the road to various destinations:

Culture Jamming.

A simple 45 Degree turn of a sign starts an adventure of a lifetime.

I love messing with folks and this sign -post advice was just the right kind of mischief.

I am excited for so much jack-assery.
ProfessorChaos

Postby danibel » Wed May 21, 2014 3:28 pm

The info booth has a few computers running 24/7. Though on the playa, anything could happen (power outage, too much dust in the cables). We usually leave a colored paper (red, blue, goldenrod, teal, anything except WHITE) sign on the bulletin board in a designated corner (or there a bouts) in addition to registering with playa info digital.

Do not try to drive up the info booth and park on the esplanade. Bad idea. If arriving at night, make sure you have a flashlight. If during the day a parasol is a nice addition to the walk you will make from a few streets back. A bike on your vehicle that can be easily removed and ridden to the info booth is a fine idea. Don't forget your water bottle!

All the tips about picking a general area are fabulous too. We usually just head for the general area and look for our pyramids. Helps if you have a tall or distinct structure.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Thu May 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Time-tested method from another thread:

Savannah wrote:
Trilobyte wrote:Arriving in BRC and "coordinating the landing" isn't too tough, the quick and dirty tip is to make an "intersection sign" and then have a camp sign (or flag) that's ready to plant once you find that spot. The intersection sign should have the camp name (and symbol, if you've got one) plus space to write the actual location once you find it. That sign will get posted at an intersection in the area you guys are aiming for, one that all your campmates know to start looking for once they arrive. They'll know what the sign looks like when they arrive, see that final location, then be able to find you easily. Once they go to that spot, they'll easily be able to spot that sign (or flag), and then see familiar faces.

My historically unplaced camp did exactly this for years. We would pick a side of the city & agree ahead of time that we were aiming for between 7:00 and 9:00. This was broad enough that we could get it, but narrow enough to start.

Leadership took pains to arrive right when gate opened.

One nicely pre-painted sign was posted securely on the outermost streetpost, with a camp name and arrow pointing inward. For example, at outer street + 7:30.

Everyone would turn right and head in, looking for the 2nd sign. For example, at H street. It would either point left (toward 7:40) or right (toward 7:25, for example).

The 3rd sign was out by the street, like a sandwich board or flag. (It could help if photos of the signs are circulated within the camp before the event.)

Then a bicyclist was dispatched to Playa Info, to list the camp position in their system, as back-up.

P.S. Virgins should be told to recalibrate their expectations if not getting placement would crush them. I've not been placed 8 out of the 9 times I've Burned. It didn't cramp my style at all. I'm sure there are some very high-class virgins out there, but they should not be encouraged in that trait, or they may have a shit time and make it your issue to solve. :wink:

Make sure everyone knows what camp looks like whenever possible . . . vehicle make and color, tent color and size, shade structure shapes and how soon they are likely to be up. They might not be obvious at night or before they're erected (obviously) which are why brightly colored signs and flags at certain intersections and out by the road are helpful. Pack your signs and flags in such a way that they are readily available to post, not deep inside the truck.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks