ID for bar camps

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

ID for bar camps

Postby ProfessorChaos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 pm

So it is all over this forum and a ton of other places that you ABSOLUTELY NEED AN ID to be served alcohol at camps.

Not a big deal... But since I am a button pusher, I gotta ask.

How strict are they on this? We are both clearly over 21. It is rare I even get carded at bars anymore because my beard makes me look older than I am. If I have a laminated color photo copy of my ID would that suffice? I am not looking to get anyone in trouble that is volunteering at the camps but wandering around a BRC with my license sounds.... Like a disaster waiting to happen. Especially considering I have to drive 1300 miles across 4 states to get home.

Thoughts?
ProfessorChaos

Burning Since: 2014

Re: ID for bar camps

Postby TT120 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:19 pm

I got carded several times and while I obviously look WAY older than 50, I was refused a few times. I understand why they do it though. Not a big deal, there are thousands of bars out there. Most people had a color copy of their ID taped around their cup and that was sufficient.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby Ratty » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Get another ID or license now. Not every bar will accept a copy if you look young. Keep in mind all the costumes, make-up and poor lighting will make the bartender ask for some Id's that wouldn't get carded in the real world. Figure out a way to wear it. It sucks not getting served. And it sucks for the bartender to have to say no.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby ProfessorChaos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:24 pm

TT120 wrote:I got carded several times and while I obviously look WAY older than 50, I was refused a few times. I understand why they do it though. Not a big deal, there are thousands of bars out there. Most people had a color copy of their ID taped around their cup and that was sufficient.

Boom! That's what I'm talking about!!! Can anyone else confirm?
ProfessorChaos

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
TT120 wrote:I got carded several times and while I obviously look WAY older than 50, I was refused a few times. I understand why they do it though. Not a big deal, there are thousands of bars out there. Most people had a color copy of their ID taped around their cup and that was sufficient.

Boom! That's what I'm talking about!!! Can anyone else confirm?
The local police are not above sending in a young one to test the waters.. Just figure everyone gets carded in every bar.. Carry an ID to be right..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I have an expired licence clipped on my cup thing. It was needed (even the bar next door to my camp carded me mid-week)
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Postby fernley1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:15 pm

I carried my retired military ID card so I wound not misplace my drivers license.
Even being over 50, I did get carded.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:Boom! That's what I'm talking about!!! Can anyone else confirm?

I do not look anywhere near 21, and my beard has a nice chunk of gray in it, and I've been carded multiple times out there. I've also spoken with a person who's camp failed to ID a police undercover & had to pay a fine (I think it was $1000, but it was in 2010 - and no my camp - so my memory isn't the best on that). Camps can and will refuse service if you don't have an ID - I've thrown people out of our bar who didn't have one, and some of them were definitely older than 21. Don't care - Nevada law requires it, and requires a bar to ask, so it gets asked.

It would be awful if you lost your drivers license, oh, 2 1/2 months before the Burn and had to get a new one. I mean, especially if your old one showed up shortly after the new one was in the mail...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby unjonharley » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

All NV law are enforceable on the desert.. Best you have a good ID with you..

It would be crappy being held in a cop shop Waiting to be ID ed
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 pm

Eric wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:I've also spoken with a person who's camp failed to ID a police undercover & had to pay a fine (I think it was $1000, but it was in 2010 - and no my camp - so my memory isn't the best on that). Camps can and will refuse service if you don't have an ID - I've thrown people out of our bar who didn't have one, and some of them were definitely older than 21. Don't care - Nevada law requires it, and requires a bar to ask, so it gets asked.

Not to be over-emphasized. I haven't been carded that I remember, but having been in a bar camp--it's not worth the risk/fine. A lot of places will go, or at least have gone, easy on this, but if I were involved in a bar camp I'd be damn sure that we didn't get closed down, fined, and whateverthefuckelse because of a lack of due diligence.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:20 pm

After only a brief look at my advanced level of decay, I doubt anyone would ever question whether or not I was under age 21.

To be on the safe side and to keep someone from being embarrassed for having to decline serving me; when I recently renewed my plastic photo ID drivers license, I punched a holed in one corner and attached my old ID drivers license to a neck lanyard.

Even if my driver's license had not been up for renewal, I would have gladly paid the fee for a replacement.

Another benefit of doing this is that (if by chance) I over indulged one the evening; when the Black Rock Rangers found me prostrate deep on the Playa next morning they would have had a name and address to repatriate the body to. (Yes, all of us Southerners do end our sentences with a preposition)
veni, vidi, exuro
It ain't your wife and it ain't your fire wood.
That dog won't hunt.
Miss Ratty makes me happier than a tornado in a trailer park.
Meat Hunter

Camp Name: 88NV - Black Rock City Municipal Airport

Postby ProfessorChaos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:11 pm

Perfect! So here is what I have gathered....

Definitely have some form of ID.
It may or may not work if it is expired or a photocopy (depending on the camp, bartender, and my own level of sobriety (or lack thereof).
Get an extra id if possible
And it doesn't matter if my beard has gray in it or not, I will get carded.

Thanks everyone!!
ProfessorChaos

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 01, 2014 6:19 am

Meat Hunter wrote:After only a brief look at my advanced level of decay, I doubt anyone would ever question whether or not I was under age 21.

To be on the safe side and to keep someone from being embarrassed for having to decline serving me; when I recently renewed my plastic photo ID drivers license, I punched a holed in one corner and attached my old ID drivers license to a neck lanyard.

Even if my driver's license had not been up for renewal, I would have gladly paid the fee for a replacement.

Another benefit of doing this is that (if by chance) I over indulged one the evening; when the Black Rock Rangers found me prostrate deep on the Playa next morning they would have had a name and address to repatriate the body to. (Yes, all of us Southerners do end our sentences with a preposition)

Until you mentioned it. The OR. DMV punch a hole in my old drivers lic. Then handed it back to me.. I had lay it aside and forgotten it.
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 01, 2014 9:02 am

A bar could choose to accept a copy, but if they chose to accept it and it turned out to be an underage person or undercover officer... they'd be in hot water with the law.

You could go that route, and then just be prepared (and understanding) if some places turn you down. You could also work out some kind of plan for carrying your driver's license with you (utility belt, hydro pack, etc). If you're worried about forgetting your ID someplace, let the person you're going out on the town with know it's a concern and ask them to help you out. Hell, you could even make a drinking game out of it (every time you leave a place "got your ID?" "Here it is!" "Drink!").
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby smiffman » Thu May 01, 2014 10:29 am

Meat Hunter wrote:After only a brief look at my advanced level of decay, I doubt anyone would ever question whether or not I was under age 21.

Hole in the id is brilliant, gonna order a new one now and have it lanyard attached....word thanks
smiffman

Postby asr9754 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:41 am

We carded people at our bar and intend to again.
I got carded frequently all week. I used a color photocopy of my ID, front and back side and laminated it at work. Reminded me of my fake-ID phase in college, haha... The "fake" worked for me but I also had my real ID in the truck back at camp in case I needed it. Suggest putting a sticker label on your ID or other valuables with your camp address (and real email address) written on it in case you lose it.

When I was tending bar, my favorite was the BYOcup with the ID zip tied or clear-taped to the cup itself. The patron only has to hand me one object, I check the ID and fill the cup in one fell swoop. Although if you look very young people might want more access to inspect the ID more closely than if it was taped to a cup.
asr9754

Postby ProfessorChaos » Thu May 01, 2014 3:39 pm

trilobyte wrote:A bar could choose to accept a copy, but if they chose to accept it and it turned out to be an underage person or undercover officer... they'd be in hot water with the law.

You could go that route, and then just be prepared (and understanding) if some places turn you down. You could also work out some kind of plan for carrying your driver's license with you (utility belt, hydro pack, etc). If you're worried about forgetting your ID someplace, let the person you're going out on the town with know it's a concern and ask them to help you out. Hell, you could even make a drinking game out of it (every time you leave a place "got your ID?" "Here it is!" "Drink!").

Ya... I have to get a WA license anyhow. I have been fighting giving up my CA id for a year anyways. Prob should just get it taken care of and use the cali ID for fun and games.
ProfessorChaos

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu May 01, 2014 4:53 pm

On the note of having a picture ID, regardless of age, let me take this opportunity to bang a favorite drum a bit earlier than usual: If you have medical issues, put a sticker on the back of your ID explaining what they are so EMS doesn't have to guess. This should be done in addition to your usual dog-tags and bracelets.

TYPE 1 DIABETICS: I'm talking to YOU. :mrgreen:

And now back to your regularly-scheduled bar-hopping. 8)
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 01, 2014 5:29 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:On the note of having a picture ID, regardless of age, let me take this opportunity to bang a favorite drum a bit earlier than usual: If you have medical issues, put a sticker on the back of your ID explaining what they are so EMS doesn't have to guess. This should be done in addition to your usual dog-tags and bracelets.

TYPE 1 DIABETICS: I'm talking to YOU. :mrgreen:

And now back to your regularly-scheduled bar-hopping. 8)

have I.C.E. noted in my phone.. I.C.E. above the vin # in the van.. I.C.E. in my wallet.. Need I.C.E. on a dog tag.. Will place I.C.E. on the back of expired lic.around my neck on the playa.. Have Life flight and ambulance insurance..Also cremation notice attached to the "In. Case. of Emergence." notices.. Along with do not resuscitate instructions..( Non dooner age 77)
unjonharley

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu May 01, 2014 6:15 pm

there is an optional RFID implant available at the gate, and once embedded under the skin ( a totally painless procedure ) this will allow you access to all bars and rides quicker and more efficiently via Near Field Technology.

also, because you will be trackable by GPS, theoretically, you can never lose yourself, or others, if you do not wish to be lost.

there will also be an easy pass lane at center camp for coffee utilizing this feature as well.
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 01, 2014 6:16 pm

@ProfessorChaos - you prolly ought to do that hehe. Most states only give you 30 days after establishing residence on the old state's license, after that technically the old license is invalid. I don't know if Washington's any different, but every state I've ever moved to has required me to turn in the old license in order to get the new one. Maybe if you claim it was lost and start from scratch?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu May 01, 2014 6:51 pm

unjonharley wrote: have I.C.E. noted in my phone.. I.C.E. above the vin # in the van.. I.C.E. in my wallet.. Need I.C.E. on a dog tag.. Will place I.C.E. on the back of expired lic.around my neck on the playa.. Have Life flight and ambulance insurance..Also cremation notice attached to the "In. Case. of Emergence." notices.. Along with do not resuscitate instructions..( Non dooner age 77)

Day-um! Id say you're pretty well covered!

But do you have an I.C.E tattoo? :mrgreen: After all, you never know when you'll be stripped naked in a distant corner of the playa by a herd of buxom Amazon women, savagely used and abused, and then left for dead when the next art car comes by. (It could happen!) :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 01, 2014 7:19 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
unjonharley wrote: have I.C.E. noted in my phone.. I.C.E. above the vin # in the van.. I.C.E. in my wallet.. Need I.C.E. on a dog tag.. Will place I.C.E. on the back of expired lic.around my neck on the playa.. Have Life flight and ambulance insurance..Also cremation notice attached to the "In. Case. of Emergence." notices.. Along with do not resuscitate instructions..( Non dooner age 77)

But do you have an I.C.E tattoo? :mrgreen: After all, you never know when you'll be stripped naked in a distant corner of the playa by a herd of buxom Amazon women, savagely used and abused, and then left for dead when the next art car comes by. (It could happen!) :mrgreen:
I asked my doctor about that.. He said I was a dead man.. The sun could finish drying me out..He did not have a procedure for wiping the grin off my face..
unjonharley

Postby ProfessorChaos » Thu May 01, 2014 7:23 pm

trilobyte wrote:@ProfessorChaos - you prolly ought to do that hehe. Most states only give you 30 days after establishing residence on the old state's license, after that technically the old license is invalid. I don't know if Washington's any different, but every state I've ever moved to has required me to turn in the old license in order to get the new one. Maybe if you claim it was lost and start from scratch?

@trilo- yeaaaaa.... But see there was this thing and the Cali license is so cool looking and ... Well ya. I should go do that. Like.... Yesterday. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
ProfessorChaos

Postby unjonharley » Thu May 01, 2014 7:34 pm

unjonharley wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote:

I asked my doctor about that.. He said I was a dead man.. The sun could finish drying me out..He did not have a procedure for wiping the grin off my face..

Kid aside.. I have a bunch of kids that are not burners and think I;m nuts for burning.. Worry when I am not under there control.. So I cover all corners to fend them off.. The state nut house is in this town.. I must stay on my toes.
unjonharley

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks