Question and gripe

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Question and gripe

Postby Eric » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:04 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:She will probably somehow find a way to get a ticket last minute and show up with nothing but costumes. Drives me nuts because I know we are going to have to carry her dead weight around for the weekend portion she is there.

No, you don't have to. She's an adult, she can be responsible for her own life. If she's too ...whatever... to be bothered with basic prep, she's too ...whatever... for you to need to assist her. You're basically giving her license to be irresponsible. Tell her point blank that if she can't take care of her own ass, your camp isn't going to do it for her.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Yeah, but they are gonna do it all for her. You're exactly right Eric, those people get by because the others let them.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby ProfessorChaos » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 am

I 100% feel you. With the amount of prep and dedication some of is put in it blows my mind others feel they can just walk in and be taken care of. I'm going to take your advice here and talk to her upfront if she gets her ticket and make things crystal clear. Exactly what she needs to bring and have if she wants to camp with us. Set proper expectations and have her acknowledge the repercussions if she doesn't pull her wright.Thanks for the vote of confidence. Def will help alleviate any sort of issues before we get there.

I don't think a lot of the people understand the amount of prep that goes into this, despite the millions of resources available. Prep has almost turned into a second job for me at this point. One thing a day for burning man is the goal.

I'm interested in what happens to those who don't prep before and just show up... Anyone have any experience with that?
ProfessorChaos

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:06 am

Yeah. They get by just fine because the people who do prep cover them.
I'm as "guilty" as anyone else. If you haven't got something out there I'll probably give it to you.
Hell, one year a guy camped by me who had come from New York on his motorcycle! He was clueless, but I helped him get by. Well, until he took WAY too much liking to my girlfriend to the point she complained to me about it. Then he was on his own!

You're one of the good people for preparing so well and covering the clueless girl.
But it's worth the effort to get her to carry her own weight.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 am

One year, long ago, someone in Hushville took pity on a couple of Rainbows who had shown up with nothing, not even a change of clothing, fed them, gave them water. They hung around like stray dogs. One ended up in my shade structure one evening, eating our food from our food bin, loudly chatting and generally being annoying, because one of my campmates had been nice to her earlier. Everyone had left, except for this girl and someone else's playa wife (guy with the most irritating laugh ever). I tossed their asses out, in my mean berzerker way when I am woken up. (For those who have never witnessed it, I am a spectacular example of irrationality in the moment).

The next day, she was sitting outside a tent next to us, making a cardboard begging sign with borrowed Sharpies and what looked like a cardboard box my friend had been using to pack in his water containers. I had a "Will Play for Mushrooms" shirt on, mostly ironically, because I never have had access to shrooms out there. "Oh, you have mushrooms?" in that high pitched question~y little girl tone. I growled, "Oh hell no. And if I did, I wouldn't give them to you. You don't deserve them." She was flabbergasted and had no clue why she was making me so very angry.

I would not have allowed her to die, but I surely was not going to make life easy for her, and felt no need to be nice to her. That sounds bitchy, but as far as I was concerned, the campmates had left the "front door" open, and I had to toss a stranger out of my living room.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 am

I heart AntiM!!

and ProfessorChaos:
just do what you do,. you're on the right track. Good job!

and I can mostly agree, that at Gate, if you are towing a trebuchet, or simple catapult, you'll be ok.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Julie in Vegas » Sun May 04, 2014 3:05 pm

We had a similar issue last year, we brought someone who "was there for the party", we diddnt find this out till we arrived, she diddnt help setup camp, did not even show up on her night to make camp dinner, diddnt help clean up and threw a tantrum when we decided to leave a few hours early. Then she had the balls on the way home to ask me to remove her braids. The moral of the story, protect your home. Love, hug, dance, eat, gift, laugh, but know you have a haven when you need a beak from it all.
Julie in Vegas

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ProfessorChaos » Mon May 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Julie in Vegas wrote:The moral of the story, protect your home. Love, hug, dance, eat, gift, laugh, but know you have a haven when you need a beak from it all.

This. Just this. Thanks for the words of wisdom. It just... makes sense.
ProfessorChaos

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Eric » Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm

Julie in Vegas wrote:We had a similar issue last year, we brought someone who "was there for the party", we diddnt find this out till we arrived, she diddnt help setup camp, did not even show up on her night to make camp dinner, diddnt help clean up and threw a tantrum when we decided to leave a few hours early.

The night she didn't show up to make dinner, her tent should have been broken down & all of her stuff left in neat piles for her to take elsewhere. Wish her luck getting home. Done. She would either wise up fast, or be off your hands. You would not be the first, nor last, camp to remove a shitty "member".
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks