One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Good jod sadie.. You have me thinking, extending off the van root..
unjonharley

Postby sadie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:13 pm

unjonharley wrote:Good jod sadie.. You have me thinking, extending off the van root..

Thanks Unjon. The aluminet is about 4' longer than the monkey hut frame, and easily bungeed to the roof rack and wheels/bumper. I have some 18" bar magnets, like you hang screwdrivers etc on, and some really strong round base magnets (95lbs pull strength) that I will use to help secure the rest of it to the side of the van. I just wanted a little more space and this was a pretty simple solution.
Here's another shot. I found a little dome tent at goodwill and cut the front panel off to use as a zippered entrance to the van. It's kind of hard to see in this picture. For non-playa camping, the ventilattion is nice - and may work ok on playa when/if the winds are down.

rsz_monkey_hut.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 pm

My van hatch go's up.. So will build a tardis for cabana around the hatch..

One item today.. This years tube of GooP glue and some sash chair for a hat/cap band
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Not so much for the playa but related to it... I got the chance to hook up my old DV cam to the computer and go through a bunch of old DV tapes from years ago. It's part of a 'restoration' project I've been wanting to do for ages, since at the time a lot of that was shot storage space and bandwidth were at enough of a premium that the clips were short and low rez, and the original footage wasn't archived digitally. The gem I'm going through now is a great playa flashback - summer 2005, with some great footage of working on the Space Wench and then getting her to the playa. I can't wait to find and go through the rest of the tapes from that year's burn.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Blompson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Picked up some bmx style chain tensioners to keep the chain on my wonky walmart cruiser from falling off every 20 feet like it did the last time I was out on the playa. :roll:

Now I just need A new tent and then I'll have my personal crap taken care of.. and then it's onto figuring out how to setup skate ramp coping to trigger corresponding flame poofers when the skaters come up for grinds/stalls.
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.
Blompson

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: SK8 KAMP

Postby Elliot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Loricybin wrote:Picked up some bmx style chain tensioners to keep the chain on my wonky walmart cruiser from falling off every 20 feet like it did the last time I was out on the playa. :roll:

Please tell me more about these tensioners. Design? Pictures? Sources?
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:23 am

Loricybin wrote:... then it's onto figuring out how to setup skate ramp coping to trigger corresponding flame poofers when the skaters come up for grinds/stalls.

I don't know how they'd handle the dust, but IR camera triggers are pretty cheap. They're used to set off wildlife cameras, cameras at the finish line of footraces, etc. High school classes use them in physics labs, too.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 am

Got verbal okay on time off, will submit official request tomorrow.

Took the bike out for a spin for the first time this season in an effort to get my legs back.

Began mapping out my trip, toyed with the idea of taking the Loneliest Road inbound but rejected it as logistics would add another day to the itinerary. It'll have to wait until the return trip. Also, haven't figured out a route that gets me into an In N' Out before SLC.

Alerted friends in OH, IL and CO of my approximate arrival times - instructed them to begin saving $$$ now so they can take me out to dinner properly.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby lucky420 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 am

Awesome Sic Pup! Hope to see you on the playa :mrgreen: :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:55 am

An infrared trigger would likely do horribly. During the day they'd likely be fine (because everything else is so brightly lit), but in evening/night they pick up dust particulates smaller than you can see with the naked eye.

Loricybin, you may want to get an experienced pyro/fire safety tech on your team before you start screwing around with automated/motion sensing triggers for flame effects. At the very least, have someone from your camp go check out the Crucible (if I remember correctly, you guys are based in the east bay) and jump on some of the classes they offer on flame effects. The Charcade folks made elaborate interactive flame effects look really easy on the playa last year, but each of those teams has decades of experience between their fire people. The problem with automatic triggers is that they're incredibly unforgiving, and don't care if there are people or flammable objects (or people wearing flammable objects) in the way. I don't mean to sound all wet blankety, and please don't take the above as discouragement, my purpose is to encourage you to cover all the bases and do it up right. My camp was your neighbor in 2012 and 2013, and I think your setups have been AWESOME and would be even more badass with fire.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Jackass » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:21 am

Loricybin wrote:.. and then it's onto figuring out how to setup skate ramp coping to trigger corresponding flame poofers when the skaters come up for grinds/stalls.

I'll begin with stating that I'm not a builder of flame throwing half pipes. Can you mount the coping so that it's solid laterally but spring loaded slightly out from where it would mount normally (1/8" gap from face of ramp). If so, then I think a few micro switches, over relays, over propane solenoids should work. You'll probably have to dial in the spring rate under said coping so that it activates at desired pressure and doesn't go off too easily. Anyways, that's how I'd look to do it, YMMV.

BTW, I love the set up on esplanade, it's a great addition. You guys had a "sidewalk" ramp set up last year, I was killing it!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Blompson » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Elliot wrote:
Loricybin wrote:Picked up some bmx style chain tensioners...

Please tell me more about these tensioners. Design? Pictures? Sources?

The picture above are basically what I got. Used to use them on my BMX bikes back when I was into that. Basically the round washer-looking bit goes on your rear axle just under the main nut for the back wheel. The Little threaded arm reaches back and grabs the rear end of your frame. As you tighten the nut, it pulls your axle back and creates chain tension :)

A word of warning though, which should go without saying but I have definitely made this mistake.. It is easy to put too much tension on the chain and snap the sucker.. That's a lot worse than it just falling off.

As far as sources go, I used to go to my local bike shop here in San Jose, but I just swooped a pair on Amazon for ten bucks.

trilobyte wrote:Loricybin, you may want to get an experienced pyro/fire safety tech on your team before you start screwing around with automated/motion sensing triggers for flame effects. At the very least, have someone from your camp go check out the Crucible (if I remember correctly, you guys are based in the east bay) and jump on some of the classes they offer on flame effects.

This is sound advice. We have actually had poofers built the last two years, but dive to random stupid circumstances they have failed to make it out both times. I am taking it upon myself to see this particular application through, and I agree that I need (at least) the help of an experienced pyro. Do you know if there are any classes or similar resources in the South Bay?

trilobyte wrote:The problem with automatic triggers is that they're incredibly unforgiving, and don't care if there are people or flammable objects (or people wearing flammable objects) in the way. I don't mean to sound all wet blankety, and please don't take the above as discouragement, my purpose is to encourage you to cover all the bases and do it up right.
Again, totally sound advice and I absolutely appreciate it.
trilobyte wrote:My camp was your neighbor in 2012 and 2013, and I think your setups have been AWESOME and would be even more badass with fire.
:) woot! Come say hi!

Jackass wrote:I'll begin with stating that I'm not a builder of flame throwing half pipes. Can you mount the coping so that it's solid laterally but spring loaded slightly out from where it would mount normally (1/8" gap from face of ramp). If so, then I think a few micro switches, over relays, over propane solenoids should work. You'll probably have to dial in the spring rate under said coping so that it activates at desired pressure and doesn't go off too easily. Anyways, that's how I'd look to do it, YMMV.

My mind has been drifting towards this concept. At first I was thinking it could be triggered by metal on metal contact using some sort of magnetic or electrical signal, and I've heard sonic reactivity mentioned as a possibility, but I feel like just having the coping slightly raised (1/4-1/8 inch seems about right and totally skatable) above a switch with some sort of spring loaded resistance would be ideal and easiest to figure out. I especially like the idea of requiring downward pressure because, in theory, it would take a good stall or a big fat grind to set off the flames, where a little coping tap won't do the trick.

Jackass wrote:BTW, I love the set up on esplanade, it's a great addition. You guys had a "sidewalk" ramp set up last year, I was killing it!
Haha, fuck yeah. I actually couldn't make it out last year but that is fairly standard sk8 kamp procedure. Come on by this year and let's rip it up!
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.
Blompson

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: SK8 KAMP

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Those chain tensioners were stand on the old coaster brake bikes..
unjonharley

Postby oly14 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Built a back wall for the box truck so I don't have to use the roll-up door on the playa. Posted a picture in the box truck thread (https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 8#p1007302).
oly14

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Nada Camp

Postby Krokodyle » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm

TT120 wrote:Made some swag tonight. Still got a long way to go but I got a few months.....
The hardest part is putting the safety wire on the top.

Yay! You gifted me one from the 2012 burn at last year's OT camp...looking to come again this year and staying with OT again :D
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.
Krokodyle

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: (Endorphin) Orphans Too

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:14 pm

First try at the new man for engraving purposes. Not quite right. I think it's the arms.

It based on the sole Caravansary Man image we have so far.

FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Joeln » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:35 pm

A little short in the torso?
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Longer torso, narrower legs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby BeeWeeDee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm

VultureChow wrote:Longer torso, narrower legs.

Smaller butt and bigger boobs
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby VultureChow » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:15 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby Elliot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks, Loricybin. I'm familiar with those, and even have some here. As Unjon says, that design is from my childhood. Yeah, don't over-tighten. I see more chains that are too tight than too loose.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Toulouse Ta Trek?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TT120 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Krokodyle wrote:
TT120 wrote:Made some swag tonight. Still got a long way to go but I got a few months.....
The hardest part is putting the safety wire on the top.

Yay! You gifted me one from the 2012 burn at last year's OT camp...looking to come again this year and staying with OT again :D

Awesome! I'll be in OT again this year as well and I will have more of these with me. I'm really glad people like them.

Here's a pic of half of them.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby Oldguy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Two seven foot hammocks came in the mail today from Texas. One and a spare should last the event. Now all I need is a used a-frame swing set to hang them on. A shade tarp over it all, and I'll be good to go. Darlene says I can borrow her truck for the event.
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby EmilyD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:33 am

Once again I'm researching a better way to get our bikes to the Playa. The ideal solution is adding a bike rack to the rear bumper of our Pop-up trailer. The problem is, the bumper is non-standard at 2"x4" (standard is 4"x4"). I really don't want to weld anything onto the bumper. I'm hoping for a bolt-on solution of some kind.

We got full size folding bikes but always seem to run out of space for them inside the van or trailer. They're damn heavy so putting them on the roof is tough plus they crush the decorations. Ideas, thoughts, opinions are welcome.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:55 am

Bolt on an additional 2x4 piece so that it can accept the 4x4 mount.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jola » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 pm

I've made some pasties.
Had a major score at a yard sale over the weekend... A burner getting rid of all her dusty stuff. Costumes, basically now done. Also included a utility belt thingy and got a really good deal on a brand new hydration pack! Now just need to work on shelter lol
I wanted to post pics of everything but even after attempting to make them lesser quality it says they're too big. :(
jola

Postby EmilyD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks Figgy :-) I appreciate your help on this.

Today's item was prepping fabric and patterns for a new playa coat, and two new dresses. I still need to drag the Mr. To the fabric store for his pick of fleece.
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 pm

VultureChow wrote:
BeeWeeDee wrote:

Hahaha! Those are some hefty MAN boobs.
EmilyD

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 am

Ordered a branding iron.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks