One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Postby fernley1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Got the last of needed EMT pipe I need for this year.
Also finished my swag for this year.
fernley1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby sadie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

Boots are done - but they're really heavy. They may not make the cut...
rsz boots.jpg

My aluminet arrived yesterday!! It's a nice perk to have access to a stage to use as a workspace.
rsz aluminet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Postby TT120 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:25 am

Those boots are way cool Sadie!
The Aluminet is pretty dang cool too. I want to try some of that but it's just too expensive still.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby sadie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 am

TT120 wrote:Those boots are way cool Sadie!
The Aluminet is pretty dang cool too. I want to try some of that but it's just too expensive still.

Thanks TT120! I love the way to boots turned out, but those belts make them weigh a ton!! Not to mention the half a tube of GOOP I used to secure everything.. :) If nothing else, my legs will get a good workout when I wear them!

And yeah, the aluminet is a little pricey. I debated with myself for a long time on what kind of shade cover to use. So many opinions and discussions on these boards.. The deciding factor for me was the fact that aluminet breathes, and doesn't catch the wind like a solid tarp would. While my plan is to stake, guy, strap and otherwise over-secure everything, it gives me peace of mind that my monkey hut cover will be less likely to work itself loose, or yank stakes out of the ground and blow away in high winds. This alone, imo, is worth the extra expense - and as a bonus, it is super light weight and packs down into a small duffel.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!
sadie

Postby Elorrum » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:06 am

So pretty shiny and clean... boots and aluminet. Very cool! It's good you'll have pictures to remind you, Sadie.
Putting some dollars into peace of mind, and investing in good things that have playa cred, can't be wrong. So many ways to work this thing.
I'm working on my bike fog horn some more. I found some little modules, and qty of one was good, workable. So why not three and see if I can make a chord? It's tuneable somewhat. more news later.

I got a little mini portable grill this week, I like my smokey joe, but this is so elegantly small and portable, and I cannot resist the siren song of such nicely fabricated stainless steel. (high gadget quotient) After one use it's going to be gunked up, and might not be such a treat to put back in the nesting tubes, but we'll see. My car is not getting any larger, but I want to bring more. Last year was the first year I barbequed. First year I brought perishable food even, and it was a treat I enjoyed.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby Milayna » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Finally redecorated my bike!! The new basket and new handlebar/frame detailing were the big changes. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milayna

Postby sadie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Ha!! A foghorn bikehorn...I like it :D - You could do a lot with that - depending on how easily tunable they are. Major chord, minor chord - whatever suits the moment. Sounds fun. - That is the tiniest grill I have ever seen! I will be interested to see how it works out.

Milayna - your bike looks great! I was going to work some more on mine this week-end, but the aluminet took priority.
sadie

Postby Ratty » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:02 pm

I've been trying to beat down the pile of clothes. I hauled a big bunch out to the flea mkt. Just when it was looking promising, I found 40 yards of beautiful fur at yard sale and filled my van. Oops. One step forward...two steps back. (I can't wait to start sewing some.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:40 am

Nice boots, Sadie! And great aluminet too - let me know how it goes finishing the edges - I had considered getting it raw and finishing up myself last year, but in the end I went with two smaller pieces that had finished edges to cover the area I was looking to cover. It'd be good to know for future references though.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BeeWeeDee » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:42 am

Put together the first prototype of my swag. From here it will be unique variants on the theme.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby sadie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:52 am

Thanks Trilo! I have almost completed installing the shark bite grommets - I am camping over Easter week-end and plan to test everything out. I folded the edge over about 1/4 to 1/2 inch for a little extra strength, but I think they would hold on a single layer. I am really pleased at how easy this stuff is to work with. The raw cut edges do not unravel at all. Since I was working with it on the black stage floor, any moop would have been easily spotted, and there was none.
I will post pics and updates of the maiden voyage.

BeeWeeDee... I love that swag! Very nice.

Oh, and Ratty!! 40 yards of fur! Score!!
sadie

Postby Patsh » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm

BeeWeeDee- that's a fine hunk'o'swag, there!

And, Sadie, it must have been awesome having all that space for such a big project.

My swag for this year has hit a brick wall... got some fine parts, just don't know quite what they'll be, yet.

:? 8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby TT120 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Made some swag tonight. Still got a long way to go but I got a few months.....
The hardest part is putting the safety wire on the top.

W6BJD
TT120

Postby EmilyD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:06 pm

I've been looking to replace a wonderful flashlight I love but can't find new ones of. Yesterday I found something close even though it's heavier...it's also brighter. This was the only photo I could find that doesn't show the logo so obviously. It's double-sided with three bulbs along each side and another at the end. Comes with the carabiner. It was about $20 with tax. PM me if you want to know the name.

You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

TT120 wrote:Made some swag tonight. Still got a long way to go but I got a few months.....
The hardest part is putting the safety wire on the top.

I love these, TT120 . . . someone gave me something similar in 2003 (that is NOT a criticism). It's among the Burn swag I still wear the most . . . being able to carry a little playa with me whenever I want is a lovely and restorative thing. :)

ETA: Finally did something for myself in the "One Item a Day" category . . . I just made an appointment with my eye doctor. I'm out of contact lenses, and I gotta have some reserves for the desert. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

More First-Time Steps Completed....

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:45 pm

My Alumnet shade cloth arrived as has my 1/2" x 18" lag bolts and the black bungee cords to tension and to absorb stress on the shade cloth and Playa Dome guy lines.

Since I do not have or have easy access to a sewing machine, I ordered my shade cloth pre-finished and with grommets installed.

This past week, I made a two sided wooden jib with a hinge so that I could use my 1/2" drill to set all my lag bolts at the same angle. The idea of using two links of chain work very well and (in my opinion) setting the 18" lag bolts flush with the ground with the drill is much user friendly that driving in rebar.

Today, I made my shade cloth poles from 1-1/4" schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit and fitted 3/8" bolts into end caps which will be placed on both ends of the poles. After placing the shade grommet holes though the top bolt hold, I will be able to secure my guy lines on the top bolts over the shade cloth. I will be using a ground tarp that is the same size as the shade tarp and I will place the bottom bolt in the grommet holes of the ground cloth.

My 5 gal. water containers and a softer bike seat should be arriving Friday.

I have always been cursed with being a very detailed person and I am having a grand old time with all the logistics and plotting & planning to be self-sustaining -- until I am on the Playa and realize that there were some things that I did not plan for. When they occur, the fun will be to just figure them out.
veni, vidi, exuro
Meat Hunter

Camp Name: 88NV - Black Rock City Municipal Airport

Postby Monkeystyle » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 pm

I started packing today, I know its a little early, but started to organize the clothing that's already done, as well as gear for my camp site, batteries, first aid, and lighting. I figure if its all done now and marked off it makes it harder to forget later... now I just need t find a cheap trailer to bring it down with.... :?
Monkeystyle

Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Postby TT120 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:37 am

I'll have one for you at the M&G Savannah! Got them all done last night. :D

W6BJD
TT120

Postby Hope-a-Lope » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Just got back from San Francisco, and I brought home a bottle of sand from Baker Beach. I'm going to use it for a variation on TT120's gift above, maybe a bracelet version.

As a side note, I went to a great party at the NIMBY art space in Oakland, most of which was in their outdoor space. Our shoes were covered in dust when we left, and now we're all fired up to go back to the playa.
Hope-a-Lope

Camp Name: Pharos

Postby TT120 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Sand from where it all started....That's awesome! :D :D :D

W6BJD
TT120

Re: More First-Time Steps Completed....

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm

This could go into "One Thing a Day for Burningman 2014" if you thought it might be more fun in a crowd.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: More First-Time Steps Completed....

Postby Savannah » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:My Alumnet shade cloth arrived as has my 1/2" x 18" lag bolts and the black bungee cords to tension and to absorb stress on the shade cloth and Playa Dome guy lines.

Since I do not have or have easy access to a sewing machine, I ordered my shade cloth pre-finished and with grommets installed.

This past week, I made a two sided wooden jib with a hinge so that I could use my 1/2" drill to set all my lag bolts at the same angle. The idea of using two links of chain work very well and (in my opinion) setting the 18" lag bolts flush with the ground with the drill is much user friendly that driving in rebar.

Today, I made my shade cloth poles from 1-1/4" schedule 40 PVC electrical conduit and fitted 3/8" bolts into end caps which will be placed on both ends of the poles. After placing the shade grommet holes though the top bolt hold, I will be able to secure my guy lines on the top bolts over the shade cloth. I will be using a ground tarp that is the same size as the shade tarp and I will place the bottom bolt in the grommet holes of the ground cloth.

My 5 gal. water containers and a softer bike seat should be arriving Friday.

I have always been cursed with being a very detailed person and I am having a grand old time with all the logistics and plotting & planning to be self-sustaining -- until I am on the Playa and realize that there were some things that I did not plan for. When they occur, the fun will be to just figure them out.

theCryptofishist wrote:This could go into "One Thing a Day for Burningman 2014" if you thought it might be more fun in a crowd.

Right you are, Fishy.

Threads merged.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby EmilyD » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:16 pm

Hope-a-Lope wrote:Just got back from San Francisco, and I brought home a bottle of sand from Baker Beach. I'm going to use it for a variation on TT120's gift above, maybe a bracelet version.

As a side note, I went to a great party at the NIMBY art space in Oakland, most of which was in their outdoor space. Our shoes were covered in dust when we left, and now we're all fired up to go back to the playa.

NIMBY is a wonderful place filled with creative types, Burning Man art projects, and lots of ideas flowing all around. Did you see the Mousetrap and Maria Del Camino?

My idea for today is something that's not fully put together yet but I'm hoping it's going to work. Our popup trailer is so tiny that FigJam's cooler won't fit in there so I'm trying to rig up a very small version with a small cooler and a fan we already have. It's battery powered and works great. I've removed the cooler's lid, and a single block of ice will fit in there perfectly. The fan folds out into an "L" shape and covers the opening really well. A little duct tape around the side to attach and seal and we'll have a nice little portable AC unit. I'll post photos if it works.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby TT120 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Replaced the crappy aluminum poles for my tent today. The main part I was trying to replace were these pieces. They are the roof peak assembly and were about to break.

I found some pre-fab 90 degree bends in 1/2" EMT and Home Depot and opened them up to about 80 degrees and added the hangars for the cross beam. I used compression fittings to connect this assembly to the main poles.

The main poles were easy as I just took a 10 foot piece of 1/2" EMT and put one bend in it near one end and done. They're one piece now instead of 5 small pieces that come apart when you're trying to put it up. Should be much more solid in the wind.

W6BJD
TT120

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:52 pm

http://solarcooking.org/plans/
Solar Ovens for your camp.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Roundabout » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:02 pm

TT120 wrote:Replaced the crappy aluminum poles for my tent today.
The main poles were easy as I just took a 10 foot piece of 1/2" EMT and put one bend in it near one end and done. They're one piece now instead of 5 small pieces that come apart when you're trying to put it up. Should be much more solid in the wind.

Nice example of radical self-reliance! Impressive! Consider wrapping a bungee around the poles where they cross. That way they should support each other and be even stronger against the wind.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs
Roundabout

Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby unjonharley » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Roundabout wrote:
TT120 wrote:Replaced the crappy aluminum poles for my tent today.

Nice example of radical self-reliance! Impressive! Consider wrapping a bungee around the poles where they cross. That way they should support each other and be even stronger against the wind.

Nice job TT120
unjonharley

Postby Hope-a-Lope » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:05 pm

EmilyD wrote:
NIMBY is a wonderful place filled with creative types, Burning Man art projects, and lots of ideas flowing all around. Did you see the Mousetrap and Maria Del Camino?

Maria, no, but the Mousetrap was there! Not in working order (I wish), but looks fun. Also, a giant hamster wheel and an art car with a really well-designed slide inside it (don't know the name). NIMBY is indeed a wonderful place.
Hope-a-Lope

Camp Name: Pharos

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:36 pm

As I understand it, Mousetrap is seldom in working order...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sadie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 am

I took the monkey hut on a test drive over the week-end. I love the aluminet! I'm still working on the overall set up, but it was great to get this piece in place.

rsz_rsz_sparklemonkey.jpg

I had my camping buddy along to help out..

rsz_rsz_helping.jpg

Nice job on the new tent poles TT120 - I have an old tent I have debated doing that for - you have inspired me!
sadie

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks