4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Postby Jovankat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:54 pm

jneilvindy wrote:
geospyder wrote:Tested all twelve of the new solar lights and they all worked!

I bought 35 of those last week and am going to pick up another 35 this week!

only 2 of them didn't work and are in the car to be returned.

I just had the box of 35 out in the sun today charging them up!

So I shouldn't bother buying any more for the camp then? :-P
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AfricanFire » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Did another trial run with my tent and shade with the new tarp and tweaked a few things. I think I'll do another one in a couple of weeks once I have enough rebar ready to go.

Yesterday I spent some time with some camp mates and had some good productive discussions.
AfricanFire

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash formerly Kidsville

Postby geospyder » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:32 pm

jneilvindy wrote:

70 - wow - your camp must glow at night :D I use them to highlight my tent (6), Monkey hut (6) and Jeep (6 including two on the bike rack that sticks out) in hopes that they will keep people from walking into them at night. Last year I walked into my bike rack the first night and bore a scabby semi swollen nose all week :(
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby jneilvindy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:18 am

geospyder wrote:
jneilvindy wrote:

70 - wow - your camp must glow at night :D I use them to highlight my tent (6), Monkey hut (6) and Jeep (6 including two on the bike rack that sticks out) in hopes that they will keep people from walking into them at night. Last year I walked into my bike rack the first night and bore a scabby semi swollen nose all week :(

I'll probably use 20 or so around the stakes for my shade structure over the RV. The rest are for the camp I'm with if anyone needs lighting and as gifts to neighbors that might need some.

Or maybe I'll create a spontaneous art display out near the trap fence of a large penis and arrow pointing towards lonesomebi's dirty fence corner!
jneilvindy

Burning Since: 2014

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 am

Kitchen box repacked. Food boxes sitting open with food thrown in them. Close enough for now.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby maladroit » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 am

jneilvindy wrote:Or maybe I'll create a spontaneous art display out near the trap fence of a large penis and arrow pointing towards lonesomebi's dirty fence corner!

Call it SOLARge
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby jneilvindy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:13 pm

maladroit wrote:
jneilvindy wrote:Or maybe I'll create a spontaneous art display out near the trap fence of a large penis and arrow pointing towards lonesomebi's dirty fence corner!

Call it SOLARge

I see what you did there :coffee:
jneilvindy

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Oldguy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 pm

New canvas is on the director's chairs now. Tweaked the shelter frame a little.

Watered the tomatoes, a critter got the first red one, grrrr. :evil:

I refined my 3 pound spaghetti recipe :1# ground sausage(frozen baggie), 1# linguini pasta(Dry box), and 1# tomato sauce(can) (I prefer Hunt's Garlic & Onion flavor.) Brown meat, add sauce and heat thru. Boil water, cook pasta while sauce simmers. Drain pasta. Save water for next time. Add sauce to pasta, stir and let sit till cool enough to eat. Manga.

Parmesan, chili, herbs, veggies, and spices on the side. A local Gallo red and I'm good to go. :coffee:
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby melodiousdirge » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Spent the weekend in Vegas studying up on tolerating 110 degree heat. Obviously didn't get much else accomplished.
'Snark' is just another way of saying you're an asshole.
melodiousdirge

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Lost money then...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby geospyder » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:11 pm

Last batch of pendants fresh from the oven. Almost look eatable but you'd probably break a tooth :( Colors represent the man in a swirling dust storm. Credit goes to my wife who doesn't even attend. She says that she lives it vicariously through me the rest of the year without the dust and heat :D

You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:12 am

I packed a peck of homemade pickled peppers.
I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Jovankat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 am

In the past two days I've completed just about all of my last minute leaving the country errands including getting travel money cards, backing up my laptop, getting prescriptions filled and printing my travel documents.

Then tonight I went to a Sydney Burners tutu making night and made a super cool tutu and caught up with lots of people. I also took my friend Charli who was going to be coming to the burn with me this yeah but can't because of work. She made fast friends (and offered her professional costume design skills :wink: ) and is going to go along to another burner meet up on Friday without me. Hopefully this is just the beginning of her burn induction! :twisted:

And now it's packing time, my flight leaves in less than 12 hours, I estimate I'm about half the way packed and I've got to do some room tidying for the girl who is subletting while I'm away. No sleep til the plane!! :shock:
it's just a fucking picnic in the desert, but it's with some of the best people on earth.
Jovankat

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am

Jovankat wrote:In the past two days I've completed just about all of my last minute leaving the country errands including getting travel money cards, backing up my laptop, getting prescriptions filled and printing my travel documents.

Then tonight I went to a Sydney Burners tutu making night and made a super cool tutu and caught up with lots of people. I also took my friend Charli who was going to be coming to the burn with me this yeah but can't because of work. She made fast friends (and offered her professional costume design skills :wink: ) and is going to go along to another burner meet up on Friday without me. Hopefully this is just the beginning of her burn induction! :twisted:

And now it's packing time, my flight leaves in less than 12 hours, I estimate I'm about half the way packed and I've got to do some room tidying for the girl who is subletting while I'm away. No sleep til the plane!! :shock:

So much respect for you guys who make the trip from overseas. I thought I was taking on a lot when I used to come from northern British Columbia.
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 am

Ordered some heavy white satin for the liner to my playa coat. Assuming that project doesn't get cut.

Carefully considering whether or not to buy the parts to build a miniature forced draft pellet stove this year. Heat is such a nice thing to have in the middle of the night out there but time is running short.
melodiousdirge

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53 am

Lots of stuff being delivered today but the BIG item arrived a few minutes ago - my ticket!!!! :D :D :D

A huge thanks to a fellow Burner who made this possible :lol:
geospyder

Postby AfricanFire » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 am

Tweaked my ever expanding shopping list yet again. Also did some work on my iPod music selection for the drive. Starting to feel a bit nervous about the female driving alone for 2 days through lots of empty places thing. Looking into one of those GPS tracker apps so the husband can track my progress and know where I end up if something happens along the way.
AfricanFire

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash formerly Kidsville

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 am

It's been a busy week, with lots of stuff happening. Got my new support designs finalized and tested, then scheduled time on the machine to cut the parts for later this week and a few sessions next week. Got some minor incidental stuff for the camp kitchen sorted out (as well as made sure the kitchen bins were all sorted out and ready to go. Got new insoles ordered for our boots. Got some stuff written up that I wanted to pass along to campmates (inspired by ePlaya user Scotto, I'm working on eventually having a survival guide for my camp). Got all the new shade hardware, tarps, and bungees I'll need for this year's nonsense (expanding and improving upon the design, plus replacing a few old and worn tarps and bungees). A new pair of pants. Other stuff too, but I can't recall at the moment. Still so much to do, and so little time to get 'er done.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

"Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 07/22/2014, by 3:00 P.M.(by end of day for residential deliveries)"

...then it will start to be real.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:"Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 07/22/2014, by 3:00 P.M.(by end of day for residential deliveries)"

...then it will start to be real.

Very cool!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Woohoo - congrats!

In other news, rats. I just found out the late-to-arrive order for replacement gas caps for our gas cans is not going to be arriving. Despite being billed as something they could ship to California, it turned out that some newer rule or regulation prevented them from doing just that - the old red cans are a high enough risk that they want people to just replace them. My gf agrees, and is ordering the replacement of the older cans.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:27 pm

trilobyte wrote:Woohoo - congrats!

In other news, rats. I just found out the late-to-arrive order for replacement gas caps for our gas cans is not going to be arriving. Despite being billed as something they could ship to California, it turned out that some newer rule or regulation prevented them from doing just that - the old red cans are a high enough risk that they want people to just replace them. My gf agrees, and is ordering the replacement of the older cans.

Gotta love California. It's not a risk issue, it has to do with vapors escaping and exposing people to benzene as far as I know.
melodiousdirge

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Oh no, it's a serious risk issue, and think the state's probably making the right call. I *know* that the red plastic on the older cans is different than on the newer ones, I just figured they were 'good enough' until they reach the point of me noticing a leak. I figured that if they could last us a few more years, and maybe by then we'd have gone solar and wouldn't need the old cans anymore.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:11 pm

trilobyte wrote:it's a serious risk issue

It must be a different change than the one I'm thinking of... I know California has some over-the top rules about gasoline handling, hence our darth vader gasoline nozzles.
melodiousdirge

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Yeah, that's the general one that's been in place forever. On one hand it's annoying, but on the other hand it's not a bad idea. I don't mind taking on the personal risk/responsibility for it for myself, but I'd hate for a campmate to come to harm while trying to refuel the generator.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby tamarakay » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 pm

New batteries on the truck. At least they went bad here and not twenty miles out of Vegas.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby geospyder » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:21 pm

A number of small items arrived today - front light for the bike, el-wire to wrap bike, a roll of gaffers tape, headlight (literally) to free up the hands and a couple packets of Fresh Bath.
geospyder

Postby Maizie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Picked up the deep cycle battery, battery box, and a couple of tarps to replace the ones that got damaged!

I'm excited to be taking a stab at having a bit of power this year.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle
Maizie

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 pm

I found a piece of pomegranate fruit leather in the bottom of my dusty Camelbak, and ate it.
maladroit

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks