Hexacopters with video?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Hexacopters with video?

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Just_Joe wrote:If you see me out there this year, please don't shoot me down. I'll be playing by all the rules.

If you're playing by the rules, I have no problem.

One of my best memories of a remote-control encounter happened when MDF and I were on an art car which was shaped like an island, complete with palm trees and hammocks. We were riding somewhere between the temple and the man, and two el-wire lit sharks showed up and started circling the island. The only thing missing was the ominous "Jaws" theme music.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13, '14
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2014

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
^Rhino!

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:00 am

An interesting addition for folks on both sides that are watching this discussion in defaultia and in the dust. An Ohio man was charged with a felony for operating a drone over the scene of an accident. Link (sorry about popover ad, if you ignore it, it will go away)

http://www.electronicproducts.com/Elect ... ident.aspx
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:19 am

To get the laws on the same page.. everyone with an interest in drones, should buy a hobby drone and fly it. Say a million drones in the air any week end.. The feds would get off there foot dragging asses.. I'm getting a small helo to learn how to fly.. For no other reason than to fly around my yard..Or send a note to a friend down the street..Cameras are easy
unjonharley

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

LOVE IT, UnJon! The "Million Drone March". Fly those buzzy little critters right up Pennsylvania Avenue to the 1600 block and over the fence they go.

You would have a complete new CFR chapter and ALL of the necessary case law in about 60 seconds. :mrgreen:
"Resistance is futile. You will be commodified"..."
c.f Larry Harvey, The BMOrg
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ProfessorChaos » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Im just going to leave this here ... 8)
http://gizmodo.com/skyjack-lets-you-hun ... 1476286537

So how, exactly, does SkyJack work? Well, it keeps track of the MAC addresses of all nearby Wi-Fi devices; when one belongs to a block of addresses used by Parrot Drones, it forces the craft to disconnect from the iOS or Android driving it. Then, it allows the hacker-cum-flyer to take control.

While it sounds limited, SkyJack is apparently written in such a way that it could easily be used to target other drones that use similar communication systems to those employed by Parrot. In other words: drones are no longer safe.

ZOMBIE DRONE ARMY!!!!!
ProfessorChaos

Burning Since: 2014

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:10 pm

This discussion had long since ended, but I'm capping off the conversation by posting a link to the brand new drone / RC / UAV policy for 2014. If you have and wish to bring one of these things out, or you're just an enthusiast who's interested, please take the time to read through the policy.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks