Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
lucky420 wrote:^^ and dog collars can be just straight up sexy!

Oooh, Lucky, I never knew you were that kind of girl...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25984
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 pm

FossaFerox wrote:I tend to not trust the cheap blinky shit and I hate turning into a darkwad by accident. I tend to be out all night and when the batteries on those $0.25 lights start to dim at 4-5 AM I get sad. :P


I get the strands that use 2-3 AA batteries (google "fairy lights battery"). I have multiple kinds, and you can wrap them around anything (I have two hats wrapped in one style, my bike wrapped in another). Not only did they last the entire week on the playa without dying, I've used them since on the same batteries. I tried the super-cheap blinkies with the watch-style batteries in 2012, and I really didn't like them because of the dying issue you're talking about.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7103
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:20 am

Eric wrote:I tried the super-cheap blinkies with the watch-style batteries in 2012, and I really didn't like them because of the dying issue you're talking about.


Yup. There's really no way to get around the longevity of LED light sticks besides manually retrofitting them with outside batteries. No matter what you pay, no matter what "quality" or region of manufacturing, they're going to dim and give out at the same rate.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Eric wrote:
FossaFerox wrote:I tend to not trust the cheap blinky shit and I hate turning into a darkwad by accident. I tend to be out all night and when the batteries on those $0.25 lights start to dim at 4-5 AM I get sad. :P


I get the strands that use 2-3 AA batteries (google "fairy lights battery"). I have multiple kinds, and you can wrap them around anything (I have two hats wrapped in one style, my bike wrapped in another).


I use these, too . . . I've got at least 5 strands, currently. Love them. The first time I ever wore 'em was in the Christmas edition of the Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was dressed as a particularly Christmas-y Dr. Frank-N-Furter during the floor show. The music rose to a crescendo in front of the RKO Radio Tower with me standing there wrapped in Christmas lights, red tinsel and antlers, and there was a dramatic silence, in which my friend Kelly yelled piercingly across the theatre, "LIGHT UP THE OTHER NIPPLE!"

(The crowd went nuts.)

. . . But I digress.

I'm also excessively fond of some "Pet Lights" blinkies that are supposed to clip on to a dog collar, but I will hang on anything--a belt, a hood, a bag. I've used the same three pet lights for two Burns, and am going to use a tiny screwdriver to investigate what kind of batteries they use (hearing aid batteries, I think) so I can replace them when they die. And I think I'll get a few more, too. They're cute, and so useful.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10516
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Savannah wrote: The first time I ever wore 'em was in the Christmas edition of the Rocky Horror Picture Show when I was dressed as a particularly Christmas-y Dr. Frank-N-Furter during the floor show. The music rose to a crescendo in front of the RKO Radio Tower with me standing there wrapped in Christmas lights, red tinsel and antlers, and there was a dramatic silence, in which my friend Kelly yelled piercingly across the theatre, "LIGHT UP THE OTHER NIPPLE!"

(The crowd went nuts.)

. . . But I digress.



Those of us who are mammary-obsessed would naturally call those "Blinky-Binkies". :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
User avatar
GreyCoyote
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:24 am
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:09 pm

Well, nothing was actually showing, it was just a funny thing to yell across a crowded theatre.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10516
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby Milayna » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 pm

I definitely did not anticipate the hell my hands would go through out there. I brought lotion my first year, but my cuticles cracked and bled anyway, plus no matter what I did I could not seem to get the playa out from under my nails.

Second year I made a little hand kit with heavy duty hand cream, cuticle oil, nail clippers, and a nail brush. I soaked my hands once a day in lemon water, and then cleaned them up with the kit. This small thing seriously made my burn SO MUCH more comfortable.
User avatar
Milayna
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Birgin Oopses, Surpiseses, And Aww Shitses

Postby 48_love » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm

I stitched EL wire onto the front and back of a vest not considering that I'd have a backpack on for most of my nighttime adventures. I was worried about the EL wire breaking, so it was kind of a pain.

Superoverprepared and overpacked

I still ave like six 2.5 gallon water jugs in the garage.

I changed the wheels on my skateboard to soft wheels, and I think it was a mistake. The ramp at Sk8 Kamp gets slippery with all that playa dust. I'm sure that I coulda used harder wheels out there.
User avatar
48_love
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:58 pm
Burning Since: 2013

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests