Bringing stuff from NYC and self reliance

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Bringing stuff from NYC and self reliance

Postby Thibault » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:06 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:
Thibault wrote:
In another thread, someone mentioned the power champion generator ( 2000w for $400-600 on eBay) which looks like a good alternative to the much pricier honda ones..

If you do bring one of these, I guarantee you will get to know all of your neighbors real fast, and it will not be in a good way.

How is that ? I read positive review about it, it is supposed to be as quiet as the eu2000. Would you mind sharing your experience with that generator ?
Thibault

Burning Since: 2014

Postby CaffeineGirl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:26 pm

My only experience is from camping near a few of them that were unbaffled. So took a quick look on line. Honda EU rated at 55-59 db. Champion rated at 68 db at 23 feet.

For more meaningful comparisons:

70 db: Passenger car at 65 mph at 25 ft (77 dB); freeway at 50 ft from pavement edge 10 a.m. (76 dB). Living room music (76 dB); radio or TV-audio, vacuum cleaner.

60 db: Conversation in restaurant, office, background music, Air conditioning unit at 100 ft
60 Half as loud as 70 dB. Fairly quiet
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby asr9754 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:29 pm

Even a "quiet" generator running multiple hours a day gets annoying. Somehow the generator noise is more pervasive and grating than the constant low throbbing of distant art cars. I can only speak for my experiences, but most small-medium camps do not have generators, and don't really need one unless you're running a theme camp or art display with some major power consuming features. My neighbors in 2013 had one running ALL DAY and I can't even imagine what was using that much power.

I've heard BRC recommend that people with generators should camp on the outskirts of town, and should place their generator with some vehicles or large objects to screen the noise.

I just don't think you'll need a genny with a small camp of friends. If you insist on bringing one, suggest using it sparingly, charging your electronics, then turning it off. (Don't forget, if you bring one, you're also committing to bringing fuel, fire extinguisher, and storing the fuel according to the safety rules).
asr9754

Postby Thibault » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:06 pm

@caffeine girl : the one I was talking about has better specs than the Honda, 53dBa at 23feet, and very good reviews. I believe not every model are equal.... I would never consider buying a generator that is not quiet for burning man, and I would make a baffle box, even for a quiet one. So I actually think I would make friends with my neighbor, and in a good way. Unless they are against free and quiet electricity...

And of course the genny would be sparsely used if I go that way ! Is there really that many dumb/inconsiderate people at burning man ? (This is a rhetorical question)

Thanks to all of you, you gave me great resources, and everyday I learn a lot by reading eplaya. All my questions have been answered !
Thibault

Burning Since: 2014

Postby aserendipity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes !
There are ALL kinds of people at BRC
and that is a spectacular component of the experience.

In the beginning I went because it was a project of my first son
and that year I went as a mid-town born and raised nyc

It is a portal
for YOU to learn yourself and each of us every year

and as I said ; if you or your wife like
come join our camp
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby Ratty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:39 pm

I've camped in the redwoods with a Martha Stewart type. Her pick-up truck looked the Beverly Hillbillies were arriving. She needed it all. Oven, field bar, camp kitchen, tiki torches, white table cloths, flower arrangements, candles in cyclones, baby pool for a bath, carpets, lounge chairs etc, etc...
Some people need alot of stuff. They can't sleep without a cot, a foam mattress and air conditioning. If that's you, then make arrangements and bring it. If that's NOT you, make your first burn a minimalist experience. There is still a boat load of stuff you should bring to survive and have fun. Read, make lists, good luck.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks