Question for the fire staff spinners

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Question for the fire staff spinners

Postby Sundial » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Alright. So due to experiences at the burn this year, I'm now a staff spinner that doesn't do any contact stuff (yet). I ordered this three piece fire staff, and it finally arrived today. I certainly can't complain about the quality, but I have a couple of concerns.

First of all, it seems really heavy to me! I know it takes time to build upper body strength, but I can't imagine spinning this thing at the high speed I've been spinning my practice staff. But clearly they intend for this one to be used for non-contact spinning, since they have another three piece staff that specifies its for contact.

My other concern is that when standing up straight (with the wick covers on), this staff comes to about eye level with me. I've been reading elsewhere that it probably shouldn't be higher than your shoulder at most. I'm about 5'6" tall if that's of any relevance.

So. Have I made a poor choice for non-contact spinning? If so, does anyone have any alternative recommendations more suitable for my height and style of spinning? Within Canada would be preferable, but suggestions from any country are welcome.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Sundial

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Re: Question for the fire staff spinners

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I'll start us off with some thread drift!

I can barely walk around on the playa without damaging myself somehow. I've never had a stitch or a broken bone (if you don't count toes) until I went to Burningman. I can't even imagine what would happen to me if I tried to do anything with fire, much less fling it around near my head...or feet...or well anything.

Good god you people are amazing.

Ok, back to your thread. Carry on carry on.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Sundial » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:25 pm

I like getting praised for insanity! :D

tamarakay wrote:I'll start us off with some thread drift!

I can barely walk around on the playa without damaging myself somehow. I've never had a stitch or a broken bone (if you don't count toes) until I went to Burningman. I can't even imagine what would happen to me if I tried to do anything with fire, much less fling it around near my head...or feet...or well anything.

"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Sundial

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Schtev wrote:I like getting praised for insanity! :D

tamarakay wrote:I'll start us off with some thread drift!

Just don't get elected to congress!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby happydragon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:09 pm

You made a good choice, Trick Concepts makes some awesome toys. The contact staff will be even heavier, more weight distributed towards the ends. I am not the best spinner out there by a long shot, but the weight is something you will just need to get used to, not sure what you were using for a practice staff, but speed will come. As for the height, I have heard the chin is the right height, but it really doesn't make a terribly great difference between chin and eye level. You may not be able to make some specific moves if your staff is too long, but heck, it's your first fire staff, you're gonna play with it, learn a lot and have a much better idea what you want by the time you destroy it from heavy use and need to replace it anyway. Height and weight are mostly preferences based on spinning style.

I am also 5'6" - I have two staves, one is 5ft, with 4in wicks, the other is 6ft with 8in wicks. I like both for different reasons. I can definitely spin the shorter, lighter staff much faster, but I can get pretty decent speeds on the monster staff as well. Mine are both designed and built as contact staves though, so the weight is set near the ends rather than distributed more evenly.
happydragon

Camp Name: Camp Thunder Spoon

Postby Sundial » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 pm

So you think then that the length is okay, and I should give my muscles time to build up to achieve greater speed with this staff?
Sundial

Postby OregonRed » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:26 pm

I have been a non-contact staff spinner for thirteen years. I have found that speed isn't really the point with spinning. The point is control. Spend some time getting to know your new staff. Smack yourself about the head and shoulders. Eventually the control will come. With control comes not only the ability to increase your speed, but also the ability to pull off manipulations you never dreamed possible.

And don't forget to have FUN! (That's why we started doing this, y'know?)
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby The CO » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:29 am

My best advice for purchasing your first or second staff is to buy it with the knowledge it will get beat-up. If you never drop it, youre not pushing yourself and not learning.

You will adapt to what you have. Using something new will help you develop a new perspective on the different size practice staff, which you should keep using. Working with a variety of different sizes & weights will improve your skills with all of them. I have about 6 different sizes & pairs, they all have unique tricks and common elements.

Speed will come as you develop control. Slow>Smooth>Control>Fast

Go to the dollar store and buy a couple of foam bottle cozys. Put them over the wicks when you practice. They will help prevent damage when you drop it, and keep soot marks off things once you have burned them.

Other than that, practice practice practice! And like ORed said, don't forget to have fun.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:37 am

Pretty much any collapsible staff will be heavier due to the additional hardware for the connectors.

They may also have a noticable difference when spinning compared to a single tube staff because typically single tube staffs have all the weight at the ends. It may take some getting used to.

Staff length is really a matter of personal preference, but chin height is pretty typical and is what I made mine at (non contact). A few inches either way should not make a huge difference.

What I find more important with all my flow toys (practice / glow / fire) is that they are all about the same length. I've only been spinning a few years so maybe its just me, but I find that helps me switch off without much getting adjusted to them.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby delle » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 am

So glad you're following your dream, Schtev!!! Warms my heart!

Now you've got a big schtick, next comes the bawls, right???
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby Sundial » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:31 pm

Okay. I guess I'll stick with it. Its probably better that I not be able to spin a lit staff at really high speed for now anyway, given the risk of injury. That being said, it might be cool to get an LED staff later that I can spin at a much faster rate.

Also, I think spinning this bigger staff is making my body leaner. 8)
Sundial

Postby Sundial » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:32 pm

delle wrote:So glad you're following your dream, Schtev!!! Warms my heart!

Now you've got a big schtick, next comes the bawls, right???

Big flamin' bawls!
Sundial

Postby delle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:54 pm

You made an old man smile.

Thank you!

:lol: bawls. So 2013!
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general questions and discussions about projects and whatnot.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby happydragon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Ok, looks like Oregon Red and others below answered in far better detail before I could get back to this, but the cliff notes version is "yup." All new toys take time to get used to. "slow is smooth; smooth is fast..."

Schtev wrote:So you think then that the length is okay, and I should give my muscles time to build up to achieve greater speed with this staff?
happydragon

Camp Name: Camp Thunder Spoon

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:55 am

delle wrote:So glad you're following your dream, Schtev!!! Warms my heart!

Mine too! :D

Although I am dangerously close to making a purchase from Clearance section of Schtev's link. Just what I need . . . a new and flammable hobby at which to become fair-to-middling . . . :lol:
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby graidawg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:10 pm

the link doesn't work very well for me, but i agree with what everyone says, i havent brought my staff out the last 3 years because, well luggage space. now i have seen that i may have to get a collapsible staff (and look for an led one)
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Sundial » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Okay! So. It looks like you guys were right about this staff. I took it out for some moderate tempo practice to electro swing on Saturday. Kinda sore for a couple of days. Then just now I take it out for some more practice to some epic trance. Holy crap! My body is used to the weight already I guess. I just really got lost in the music and like....damn! I just went full on NINJA MODE with this thing! It was nuts! I'm so happy! I've NEVER spun that insanely before. Its such a high. :D
Sundial

Postby Sundial » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 pm

On a related note, I'm seriously considering an LED staff from the same people now. Does anyone have any tips or important gotchas? I'm thinking 4'10" staff, 1" grip, space for 2 lights, 3oz weights. The idea is I wanna be able to spin this at rave-y type events and other indoor places where fire just isn't gonna happen.
Sundial

Postby Sundial » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:46 am

So as a follow-up for anyone still subscribed to this thread, turns out it just didn't matter. You practice practice practice, and you can use different weights and widths no problem. I was nit picking.
Sundial

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks