greycoyote wrote:How about taking a stock 10 foot length of EMT and bending the upper end into a shepherds crook? Hang the lamp from the end of the crook or notch the tubing end with a chopsaw to accept the bail on the lantern. This would put the lantern about 7 feet off the ground and would be inherently stable, and you could setup a jig to crank these out in a hurry and make them the same.
BoyScoutGirl wrote:Does kinking reduce the structural integrity of the conduit?
the fact that I'll need somewhere between 20 and 24 of them, bending the conduct is more appealing to me at this point.
lbhat wrote:here is a quick photo of 3/4" EMT bent...
lbhat wrote:...we are meeting tomorrow to prototype & build ....
I guess I could link to a image of 3/4" EMT bent at a 90 degree 8" atub if you need the visual...
Elliot wrote:You will find BoyScoutGirl a fabulous co-conspirator. She helped me with bicycle repair on Playa this year.
GreyCoyote wrote: Would like to see the finished product as we might do something similar here too.
BoyScoutGirl wrote:I believe I owe you wonderful folks an update.
It's actually incredibly easy to do a full circle bending on the 3/4" conduit using a pipe-bender. As several people anticipated in this thread, once you get past a ninety-degree bend, the bender starts to want to take the same space as the stem of the EMT. The simple solution is to rotate the bender around the pipe just a little bit as you bend, so that the curled end misses the stem to one side or the other. It won't be a tight circle, but you can continue bending pretty much as far as you want.
I didn't get many photos of the final product, but here you can see we were successful in getting a complete, simple shepard's crook:
Using the shepard's hook meant no need for any other hardware to keep the lanterns from sliding, which meant cheap, fast and easy assembly! We got 25 done in under two hours, including cutting two-foot sections of 1/2" EMT to slip over the rebar. Plus, I really like the simple, smooth shape.
Another nice part about the final design was that the circle used enough length at the end of the pipe that we didn't have to trim it from 10'. The bottom of the loop is high enough to (mostly) keep the lantern out of face-height but still be low enough that we didn't have to use lifting poles to get the lanterns on them.
Lastly, it was pointed out to me that the circular space would be a perfect home for more art! So, with less that 24 hours to go before they were installed, I added wire and bead dreamcatchers to five of the lampposts, making them the special spires to go by the temple:
Each lamppost was secured in the ground using one four-foot piece of 1/2" rebar and a two-foot sleeve of 1/2" conduit. The rebar went into the ground about halfway (make sure it's plumb!), the sleeve went over the rebar, then the lamppost went over both. It was a little wobbly, but even with the lanterns it was secure enough at a site like ours where there wasn't too much wind and where the lampposts were well out of the way of foot- and vehicle traffic.
Thanks in particular to lbhat for lending me his tools and expertise in making a prototype and to Victor, a local burner who let me into his workspace last-minute to do the actual production.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest