a note on packaged MRE's and other such food

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

a note on packaged MRE's and other such food

Postby Niacin » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:37 pm

Even though you've bought the bigassed variety pack, bring something else to eat and snack on. Variety is important, and eating from a plastic bag gets really lame about Thurs.

Cheers,
Max
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

Postby Juju » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:36 am

I'm a major foodie, and the concept of not eating well whilst working my ass off putting up a camp just doesn't sit right with me.

As head Disco Chef, I put together a rockin meal plan that the entire camp agreed upon, divvy'd up the grocery list, and we all ate 2-3 hot meals a day.

We all pooped pretty solid, too.

A few ideas that are easy and good:
remember to take your veggies out of the plastic bags so the air can circulate. They won't go bad if they can breathe!

fresh squash & potatoes
fresh tomatoes - stick in the cooler for 15 min before munching, such a refreshing snack
cucumbers feel cool

I made a giant batch of gazpacho and froze it before I left. I let some thaw in the cooler, dumped it into a pitcher, voila - lunch. Add some vodka and it's even tastier.

eggs can be broken & whisked up in a ziploc bag, then frozen for transport. Just thaw & dump the raw eggs into a frying pan for mess-less breakfast.

I hosted a potluck dinner party at our camp on Thursday night. People brouht wine & cheese, risotto, gnocchi with fresh sauce, a campmate made chili, our neighbors made raita salad, and I busted out my infamous crabcakes and mango salsa.

Oh yes, and fresh mangoes & pineapple rock on the playa, too.

damn I'm making myself hungry all over again. :)
Juju

plus...

Postby spaceboy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:02 pm

Those MRE's taste like shit and are full of MSG.
See also this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=2339

JuJu:
Let's cook together sometime on the playa!
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!
spaceboy

I want MRE stories!!!!

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:46 pm

They don't even have to be BM MRE stories.

Last week my sweetie bought the MRE variety pack of 12 as earthquake/disaster/emergency food. Then we had to eat one each to see if I (a notoriously fussy eater for my entire life) would and just for me to get an idea of what's in there and how to "process" it. I will say--that's nasty stuff. I didn't even open my jalapeno cheesy food tube, couldn't bear the idea.
But he waxed all nostalgic about his army days and the matches and the chiclets and how his group used to recreationally throw the cracker packets around. I don't want the experience, but I loved the pure stupidity of the stories.
So, does anyone have more?
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:54 pm

I too had my share of MRE's in the army. Once in a while they were ok, but when you had to eat them for 3-4 straight meals they got pretty bad. They would back you up something fierce! Anyway, there are all kinds of MRE receipes out there if you're interested. (Personally I would never eat another one again).

http://www.millennium-ark.net/News_File ... cipes.html

http://www.cook4ever.com/maindish/mre.htm

http://www.campdoha.org/categories/sold ... ecipes.htm
Chai Guy

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:57 pm

I;m in the never again camp too. Once was enough. It just amazed me that these nasty things evoked such memories. That was interesting
BlueBirdPoof

Postby terdbird » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:13 pm

arent mre's kind of expensive? the one time i had them, about 10 years ago at boy scout camp, they werent that bad... plus you have all the stuff that comes in the pack... what a deal! :)
terdbird

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:48 pm

arent mre's kind of expensive?

Actually they are pretty cheap, especially when you buy say, a week's worth. For me Burning Man and Camping are vacations and a big part of my vacation is eating well. I couldn't think of ripping open the plastic on an MRE when I know damn good and well that Juju is cooking something to knock my socks off just a few camps away!

http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_me ... o_eat.html
Chai Guy

Postby calsur » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:24 pm

Having also gotten my PHD in Camping & Nasty Stuff from the Army I will never eat another MRE again, forever. Once I had to eat them for a month straight and I was ready to chew the bark off a tree for someting else.

A couple of tips to those who want to eat them.

1. DO NOT cut the bag across the top. After eating about half the bag, you end up with more food on your hand than in your mouth. Cut the bag long way, much easier.

2. You can boil some rice and then dump the main course in with it. Makes them much better and is easy to do.

3. HOT SAUCE, lots and lots of hot sauce.

Enjoy
calsur

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:26 pm

Juju wrote:I'm a major foodie, and the concept of not eating well whilst working my ass off putting up a camp just doesn't sit right with me.

I hosted a potluck dinner party at our camp on Thursday night. People brouht wine & cheese, risotto, gnocchi with fresh sauce, a campmate made chili, our neighbors made raita salad, and I busted out my infamous crabcakes and mango salsa.

Oh yes, and fresh mangoes & pineapple rock on the playa, too.

damn I'm making myself hungry all over again. :)

Juju —

We <b><u>MUST</b></u> arrange to have at least one potluck meal together on the Playa. SO nice to not have a group kitchen in our camp anymore. I'm bringing a miniature Meyer lemon, a rosemary tree and a planter sock of strawberries — yes, fresh strawberry lemonade and rosemary :9

Might I also mention, fresh peaches are Da Bomb out there, too. Don't worry about the pits, paint 'em up, string 'em and make art with them :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Badger » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:35 pm

I believe - although I can't prove - that MRE's have a biologicla basis in Post Traumatic Event Syndrome experienced by so many vets.

It wasn't the war, it was the food.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Tancorix » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:54 pm

For someone who couldn't cook worth a damn at the time, MRE's saved me last year from starving. When I first used them I wondered why every one had a bottle of hot sauce in there. That changed quickly.
Tancorix

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:53 am

calsur wrote:3. HOT SAUCE, lots and lots of hot sauce.

Even I have to admit that tabasco bottle is cute.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:55 am

diane o'thirst wrote:I'm bringing a miniature Meyer lemon

I could probably bring several or even a couple dozen Meyer lemons (not the tree, just the fruit) next year--but I don't know who wants them. How do I find the mad foodies, anyway?
BlueBirdPoof

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:56 am

Badger wrote:I believe - although I can't prove - that MRE's have a biologicla basis in Post Traumatic Event Syndrome experienced by so many vets.

It wasn't the war, it was the food.

My sweetie swears that giving them to the natives (excuse the term) is a war crime. If we'd signed that treaty the entire army could end up at the Hague.
BlueBirdPoof

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks