Can gate personnel turn around people with tickets?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Can gate personnel turn around people with tickets?

Postby servicio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi All,

This is Omer from istanbul and it is my first time. I read all the forum but could not find an info about that.
I will come to burning man on wednesday but my friends will go there on Monday. They will bring my tent, water and foods since they will go by car. I will come by flight 2 days after them and I will not have anything with me except my clothes..

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... at_is.html
in this page, it is written that "Water, food and shelter are imperative — you will be asked to turn around at the gate if gate personnel believe you cannot meet your basic survival needs. Carefully read the Survival Guide, and prepare accordingly."...

So, if i don't have anything with me, can they turn me around? How can I prove them that I have all my survival things already brought by my friends in the camp?

If you have experiences from last years, Please let me know.
Thanks
Omer
servicio

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Can gate personnel turn around people with tickets?

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:18 pm

They can and will turn people away who obviously cannot provide for themselves.
That said, you explain that you had all your gear shipped ahead of you and brought out to the playa by your friends on Monday and it's waiting for you at your camp, which is located at _____.
People do this all the time.

I assume you're flying into Reno airpirt? Rideshare to the playa?
Make sure you have either your physical ticket or a print out of the ticket confirmation information for a Will-call ticket to show a Rideshare driver that you do indeed have a ticket.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby servicio » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks for the information. Then I will explain them my friends' camping location and they will believe.

I will fly to reno airport and then come BRC by Flame bus. I have my physical ticket with me.
servicio

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm

servicio wrote:I will explain them my friends' camping location and they will believe.

Have them send you an email
- with the camp address,
- that they got your stuff,
- they have everything else, you don't even have to bring water.
Print it out and bring that too.

But, do bring some bottled water with you. Start drinking it once you hit Reno and on the drive up. Search eplaya on dehydration and Playa Condition, and anything else you may have questions about after having read the Survival Guide.
Last edited by Canoe on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Sham » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm

Canoe is right on the mark. They check your car for preparedness, but simply telling the gate person that you are meeting up with camp mates who have all your supplies. The hope is that anyone trying to enter thinking they can buy all their food and supplies from vendors, or planning to just freeload for the week, they will be turned around.

It will be very easy to explain that people have gone ahead of you.

On a humorous note, I left the playa a few years back to meet up with a friend, and drove back in with a virtually empty car. I explained I thought I was lost and was looking for the Motel 6--was this the right way? I got in just fine!
Sham

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

And you can tell them that you and your camp mates know to go to center camp information and leave a message for you should they need to camp at a different location.
And make sure they know to do that.
BRC is a big place.
Canoe

Postby Kickstand » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Welcome Omer from Istanbul! As someone who has met up with his friends on playa, I want to second the suggestion to bring *some* supplies with you, more if your friends aren't at a camp that is already placed and their address is known. I rode a motorcycle last year and brought enough food, water and a little tent to get me through the night just in case I got there too late or didn't find my camp until morning. Worst case you can't find your camp or there's a big dust storm, you can always seek out shelter with kind strangers, but bring enough food and water to last you through a night. And cigarettes. ;)
--------------------
Chris "Kickstand" Passanisi
2008-2010-2012
Kickstand

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Snowballs in Hell / iffy-Pop / Run Free

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Hey Omer!

Does your camp have official Placement? If yes, ask the location now. Everyone officially registered has been placed.

If not officially placed, have your campmates register their location at "Playa Info" at Center Camp, and ask them to attempt to text to you as well (which does not always work). Ask them where they're aiming for, what camp looks like, and if they have a sign, or flags, or other landmarks.

They are welcome to post a sign at a specific intersection. Lots of people do that.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Canoe's posts said it perfectly.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby servicio » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 pm

thanks for the information, i also cancelled my flame bus tickets, i will reserve from burning man express
servicio

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks