photos and movies

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

photos and movies

Postby tatonka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 pm

I e-mailed the press site a week or so ago and have got no response , I want to take some movies for home use. Can I get the permission slip at the playa?
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: photos and movies

Postby skeive » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:03 am

I think they stopped requiring a tag for video for home use starting last year. I do a lot of photography on the playa so pay particular attention to such things. I haven't seen anything indicating a departure from last years policy so assume it is the same.

As long as you are not being an ass hat you likely wouldn't be bothered anyway. Be respectful of people, especially the nude kind, and you should be OK.

Thanks,

Skeive
skeive

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:42 am

Q. What is the policy on taking pictures?
A. All individuals wishing to shoot still or motion pictures at Burning Man and distribute that imagery publicly, regardless of commercial intent, are required to have their projects reviewed and approved prior to coming to Black Rock City, sign a professional use contract in accordance with Burning Man’s media policies, and have their cameras tagged at Media Mecca, Burning Man’s on site press room. These steps are designed to protect the privacy of participants and artists alike. If you are considering filming or videotaping for professional purposes, or if you wish to share your images beyond friends and family, regardless of your intent to make money from your images, you MUST have a commercial agreement on file with the Media Team prior to your arrival onsite. Commercial use of images taken at Burning Man without permission is subject to cunning legal action. This includes amateurs and professionals who capture images

(emphasis mine)
Basically, if you're taking your photos for yourself & friends, you're fine.

It is considered rude to take obvious pictures of someone without asking their permission (and can be creeper if it's naked people). Obviously if you're taking a shot from Center Camp to the Man, there's no way you can ask everyone, but if you're taking a shot of a single person or small group, get their okay, and be polite if they say no.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby tatonka » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 pm

thks all :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby trilobyte » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:53 pm

The form's available here, at the gate Greeter's Station, and at playa info. It's required, even for personal use digital cameras or even cell phone cam video. You fill it out and drop it off at playa info. Easy peasy.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:11 pm

relevant stuff from the TERMS AND CONDITIONS when buying a ticket

http://tickets2.burningman.com/info.php?i=2386

I acknowledge that people are using film, video and photographic cameras at the Event, and that my image may be captured on film, video or photographs which may subsequently be displayed or disseminated without my consent or payment of compensation to me

“Personal Use” of images, film or video means to share with friends and family, to display on personal websites (as long as your website does not sell any other product or service, and as long as your website does not purport or appear to be an official website of Burning Man or Black Rock City LLC), to display on photosharing websites, and to display at art exhibits or similar exhibits. Social networking sites such as Flickr and Facebook are deemed “Personal Use” only if the display of the images, film or video on these sites are not used for the promotion or distribution of images with the intent to publicly display them beyond one’s immediate network, and if one’s immediate network is not inordinately large, to be determined in Burning Man’s sole discretion.

I understand that I have no rights to make any non-Personal Use of any image, film, or video footage obtained at the event

I, on behalf of myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns, hereby waive, release, discharge, and agree not to sue Burning Man, its officers, directors, members, employees, volunteers, representatives, agents, contractors and subcontractors, and other participants, sponsors, affiliates, and if applicable, owners and lessors of equipment, art installations and premises used to conduct the Burning Man Event or related activities (collectively the "Releasees"), from any and all claims for damages, injuries, losses, liabilities and expenses which I may have or which may subsequently accrue to me, relating to, resulting from or arising out of my use and/or participation in the Burning Man Event
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks