locking things

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

locking things

Postby tatonka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 am

I know you should lock your bike , but your camp , I can lock my camper but do I have to lock up my cooler and water? Wanted to have them out of camper in the shade. Dont want to pick them up and put them back in the camper everytime I leave.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: locking things

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:53 am

I don't lock my coolers at all. Even before I started camping with a bunch of people (theme camp) I still didnt lock my coolers. If a random hippie or sparkle pony might wander by and if they needed a beer or drink of water then I would want them to have a drink.

It's not as if there will be a pack of wild sparkle ponies or hippies stopping by to ravage your coolers. I do however keep my hard liquor locked inside the big truck just in case a bear stumbles through camp. Big drunken bears are dangerous, really.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:55 am

My 10gal water cooler sits on the tonge of the trailer and the dry ice chest is in the open, but wrapped in a blanket.

Nothing has gone missing yet. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am

Yeah same here. I wouldn't leave a Honda generator unlocked and I lock my camper but I wouldn't worry about coolers & such.

I do take several anti-joyride precautions with my mutant vehicle, which has been proven necessary.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:18 am

Paging Phil. His bacon was stolen.

I've heard of booze going missing, and we had PVC poles vanish out of our trailer. Nothing much else over the years.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:25 am

I leave my cooler in the open under my monkey hut. Usually there are no issues with theft.

In 2011 I kept the cooler in a tent and over 3 days someone raided all the small water bottles (44 of 48) from our cooler (I always bring a case of them to refill for convenience when sitting around camp). The sad thing is we had plenty of water and would have given them gallons had they asked. Thankfully they ignored the beer and booze. Having it out in plain sight seems to be a better strategy.

If you are really paranoid, you can put a padlock hasp on your cooler - it will not deter someone determined to be a radical self gifter, but will deter the casual thefts.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 am

Stuff we hear about being stolen over & over: unlocked bikes, booze, tools. Occasionally generators. No one's ever raided my cooler, but if you make your cooler less visible from the road (and I do) you will eliminate someone's drunken temptation.

If you lend a tool to someone, you may want to tell them they have to return it to you & cannot (in turn) lend it before returning it--because that's how things end up getting passed through 8 different pairs of hands for 50 yards into the neighboring camp.

"Whose hammer is this?"
"I don't know."
"Well, let's put it in the corner, someone will claim it."
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 am

I couldn't find a padlock for my innocence.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 am

Sometimes I have the reverse problem. People tend to leave stuff on my boat, and the next day I've got no way to know whose it was.
Occasionally it's good stuff... often people gift me their garbage.
On burn night in the crowd a lot of generous people gift me all sorts of trash.
I'm lucky enough to do way, way more work than most people know to bring a MV, the least I owe them is to take their trash, right?
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Captain Goddammit

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:52 am

I've bought a lock for my tent this year. I'm planning to lock the two zippers together. I've never been ripped off at a burn, but it would suck to have it happen. My friend had 2 cellphones stolen out of his backpack, which was sitting in our camp at a local Atlanta burn. I kinda feel like i'm ruining the spirit of trust by locking my tent, and I think it's overkill, but it is also kinda nice to know for sure that no one's getting in (unless they cut the lock or the fabric of my tent).

I've heard stories of people finding their tent rummaged through. Whatchoo guys think?
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

When my daughter and I went to Symbiosis last year. we had a dolly and a wagon which came in really really handy since there was no car camping and you had to haul your stuff quite a ways over some rough ass terrain.

We had people ask to borrow it and we let them. They just had to leave their wallet or cell phone as collateral...I wasnt going to trust some hippy not to bring it back. :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 am

MacGlenver wrote:I've bought a lock for my tent this year. I'm planning to lock the two zippers together. I've never been ripped off at a burn, but it would suck to have it happen. My friend had 2 cellphones stolen out of his backpack, which was sitting in our camp at a local Atlanta burn. I kinda feel like i'm ruining the spirit of trust by locking my tent, and I think it's overkill, but it is also kinda nice to know for sure that no one's getting in (unless they cut the lock or the fabric of my tent).

I've heard stories of people finding their tent rummaged through. Whatchoo guys think?

Make yourself happy. Hopefully the lock comes with two keys and you know who to talk to if you lose both and need to cut it. I've given thought to putting one of those luggage locks through my tent zippers myself, but have decided it's too much trouble for me (personally). There's nothing good in there. :lol:

A real thief would know how to break the lock. A casual thief will probably be deterred by the camp maze, the degree of intrusion required, not knowing if someone is in there, and the fact that almost anyone around would know it's an interloper because I talk to those around me.

So far . . . no tent B&E.

*knocks wood*

lucky420 wrote:When my daughter and I went to Symbiosis last year. we had a dolly and a wagon which came in really really handy since there was no car camping and you had to haul your stuff quite a ways over some rough ass terrain.

We had people ask to borrow it and we let them. They just had to leave their wallet or cell phone as collateral...I wasnt going to trust some hippy not to bring it back. :mrgreen:

Clever! :lol:

Savannah

Postby Mojojita » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:14 am

I think a real thief would not bother with a tent lock, but just zip open the side of the tent with a pocket knife. That's why I never lock my ragtop cars - replacing the top is way worse than replacing whatever else they are looking for.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:17 am

Savannah wrote:Make yourself happy. Hopefully the lock comes with two keys and you know who to talk to if you lose both and need to cut it. I've given thought to putting one of those luggage locks through my tent zippers myself, but have decided it's too much trouble for me (personally). There's nothing good in there. :lol:

Yep, thats what I got. A simple combination luggage lock, more for deterrence than definitive defense. I wouldnt be surprised if some simple wire cutters could snip the flexible steel cord shackle. I imagine I'll use it until I get too tired of unlocking/locking my tent, then will just ditch the idea. We'll see :).

As to them slicing into my tent.... you may be right there. My tent is probably worth more than any one or two or three items I would have in there. Spose the lock may just make them think I've got something really good to hide. That said, it seems hard to fathom someone being asshole enough to slice into someone's canvas tent, but I may be surprised...
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:35 am

Mojojita wrote:I think a real thief would not bother with a tent lock, but just zip open the side of the tent with a pocket knife. That's why I never lock my ragtop cars - replacing the top is way worse than replacing whatever else they are looking for.

That's been exactly my logic too.
Captain Goddammit

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:29 am

Mojojita wrote:I think a real thief would not bother with a tent lock, but just zip open the side of the tent with a pocket knife. That's why I never lock my ragtop cars - replacing the top is way worse than replacing whatever else they are looking for.

Yeah, that's also standard procedure during a drug raid on a camp. They don't bother with the zippers.
maladroit

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:36 am

I left everything unlocked last year. I figured if someone raided my camp, it might be good for a sympathy fuck. Alas, nothing was stolen.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby MacGlenver » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:38 am

maladroit wrote:Yeah, that's also standard procedure during a drug raid on a camp. They don't bother with the zippers.

Is that based on first-hand knowledge? You're saying cops run in suspecting drugs and they just start slashing tents? Seems hard to believe.
MacGlenver

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 am

I always lock my bike...always...in camp, out of camp, trips to the JOTS...always! Serious valuables are kept with me at all times...the camera, the wallet, cash, credit card, DL/ID.

If anyone wants to take a beer from my cooler they're welcome to it. Be warned, however, that I rub playa-infused boogers all over the can tops...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 pm

I always put a long chain from one item to another.. extra gas, gennie, bikes and cooler handle.. Just to keep things from being a temptation.. 02-03 there were camp raiders while others were at the burn. That is how gate closing at the end of the week started.. Grandfather stayed in camp for the burn after 02.. One year I had just put my head on the pillow.. Some headlights come across the tent.. Some guy was lifting my sons bike from behind my heavy (locked) trike.. The bike was up against the tent wall.. I got up as quiet as I could and grabbed the stake hammer..
But I made a sound and the person was gone..Wish he'd have stuck around.. He needed his head tune up with a hammer handle.
unjonharley

Postby tatonka » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:11 pm

thks all, will just keep them outa sight then :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Tatonka, I'm glad you started this thread because I had just been thinking about the same thing.
I have been to BM once but I didnt have anything outside my dome when I wasnt there.
My bike went inside at night and was locked any other time.
This year I am bringing a monkeyhut and Id like to leave chairs and cooler inside while Im away and Id hate to think that I need to put everything inside
everytime I leave. I dont plan on having ends on it because its primary use is for shade.

I will try the "outta sight " idea also.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Out of sight helps a lot. Folding tables, table cloths clamped on with spring clamps . . .

I'll wager that most thefts out there are crimes of opportunity (someone made it really easy) and temptation (someone made it really visible).

To go rummaging or digging in someone's stuff looking for unseen goodies requires greater than average nerve. Harder to defend if you get caught, and maybe even no prize. :lol:

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 pm

VultureChow wrote:I left everything unlocked last year. I figured if someone raided my camp, it might be good for a sympathy fuck. Alas, nothing was stolen.

We can arrange to have something stolen, if you want to try again.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 pm

We set up our camp so there is a definite "private" or "back" area, things like the coolers, etc get placed back there. For a monkey hut, just make sure you have fabric to cover the opening facing "out" - closing the fabric makes it more obvious that your camp is closed at the moment. Also - make sure you get to know your neighbors! Good neighbors are the first line of defense!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Martiansky » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
VultureChow wrote:I left everything unlocked last year. I figured if someone raided my camp, it might be good for a sympathy fuck. Alas, nothing was stolen.

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:
GREAT one Fishy!!!!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Martiansky wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :lol: :lol:
GREAT one Fishy!!!!

Well, if it works, I'd have her steal something from mine. I could stand to get lucky.

Wait, I can't.

Hm.

Okay, I don't seem to have the knack of exuding "playa-available" so I might adopt the technique if it works.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 pm

You need a naughty sign, t-shirt, pendant . . . something. Hmm.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Oh dear, Savannah, do you have that "makeover" look in your eye?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:46 pm

Oh, no. I know you're not interested in my advances. :oops:

But is there anything wrong with a cloisonné brooch reading "fuckable" in rubies? I would submit that there is not.

Savannah

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks