How do I plan? What happens when?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How do I plan? What happens when?

Postby bruce508 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Dear burners:

Specifically, I cannot find anywhere if there is a temple burn Sunday Night this year.

Generally speaking, it's amazingly difficult to find out information on what happens when in BRC. Search on anything you like on the web site - you won't find anything relevant under 2013 calendar or 2013 schedule, nor on 2013 temple burn.

There IS an events calendar - but there is nothing on it: http://playaevents.burningman.com/2013/playa_events

It would be great if moderator or lurkers piped in. I will first give some info, I will end with my list of questions.

Here is what I do know, and would be happy to share:
* When does the man burn?
The man burns saturday night before labor day (this is on the website main FAQ: http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... _The_Playa)

* What are the dates for the event?
The main FAQ lists the dates from 2012, which do not appear to be correct.
My ticket states "Event Pass - Aug 26, 2013 - Sep 2, 2013" .
-I read somewhere that this means that it opens at 6 PM on Aug 26, but I can't find that again.
-Sept 2 is Monday, Memorial day, so I'm assuming they're not too concerned about you leaving up to very late, but.... I don't have any information on this.

-----------------
My list of Unanswered Questions
-----------------

1. Why is it so incredibly hard to find obvious information like main dates of the 2013 event in searches on the web site?

2. When does the temple burn?

3. Are there any other major events I need to know about when planning? There have been other major events - burning giant waffles, oil derricks, etc.

4. What are the complete opening and closing hours?

Thanks,
-PirateCaptain
bruce508

Re: How do I plan? What happens when?

Postby Elliot » Mon May 20, 2013 9:29 pm

I suspect it is a bit early for all the details. Stick around.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 pm

1. You're going to get distracted and miss just about everything out there, don't worry.
2. Sunday
3. See #1
4. Traditionally it opens on Monday morning at 12:01am. It's been opening sunday afternoon/evening the last couple years though.
Orphan Endorphin Camp - 7:00 and A for 2015
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby bruce508 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:50 pm

This is for Mudpuppy:

There have been years with no temple burn recently I believe. So, you are sure there will be a temple and a burn this year? Do you have a reference?

Thanks,

-PirateCaptain
bruce508

Postby Elorrum » Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 pm

o.k. pirate captain.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Postby graidawg » Mon May 20, 2013 10:32 pm

bruce508 wrote:This is for Mudpuppy:

There have been years with no temple burn recently I believe. So, you are sure there will be a temple and a burn this year? Do you have a reference?

Thanks,

-PirateCaptain

no we are not sure. nothing at BM is certain until it happens. if you want certainty do it yourself
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Mon May 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Grai's right, nothing is certain. :)

I can't remember a really recent year without a Temple Burn. If you google image search Burning Man Temple Burn [year] you can usually come up with an image of the temple burning, and if you're worried it's mislabeled, you can usually find an image on the main site of what the Temple looked like, and match it with a Burning image. The Temple burned 2008-2012, and although I missed 2007, I can see that it burned then. You can look further back if you like. Unless something weird happens to the Temple (or the Man), such as complete destruction or something, or the weather prohibits it entirely, the Man is going to Burn this year on Saturday, August 31st, and the Temple is going to Burn on Sunday, September 1st.

The What/When/Where guide you'll get at the Greeter's Station lists the start times for processions and Burns. (Sometimes things start late, especially if the weather is bad.) 8:00pm is a typical start time for any parading or pageantry before large Burns, and fire dancing, etc. Big stuff gets set ablaze around 9pm when it's fully dark, but go before 9pm, especially if you like fire and ceremonies, and because if the wind is high, they may occasionally cut short the ceremonies and start a Burn before a storm hits. That happened in 2009. Very exciting windy Burn, that one.

http://temple2013.org/

As for the precise moment the event opens: I think we're still waiting to see whether it will be 12:01am August 26th or the night before, 6:00pm on August 25th. (The past couple of years have had Sunday 6pm entrances). The info will be on the main site, and much gossiped about here.

Departure: officially Monday September 2nd, Labor Day. But you can leave early (obviously), or a day late. No one will bother you for staying until the 3rd, especially if you are cleaning, packing up, and/or being a good citizen.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon May 20, 2013 10:54 pm

To quote an old Guy Ritchie film, "Chill, Winston!"

First - the playa events calendar hasn't even opened for new entries (that happens in the middle of next month). Second, only the first 1500 or so listings even make it into the printed guide that gets handed out at the gates. Third, more than half the events aren't even added to the calendar.

You have no hope of seeing and experiencing everything. You don't even have any hope of seeing and experiencing all the cool stuff (more awesome things than time in the day, times several hundred).

Typically, the temple burns shortly after dusk on Sunday night (this has been the case for more than a decade). Stay tuned to the boards and the Jack Rabbit Speaks for any news of there being announcements about a change in that plan. If you've got to be absolutely positively paranoid android sure just in case they change the plan and don't announce it, go to the temple and ask one of the rangers or temple guardians you see nearby.

As for the gates, as others have said that information has not yet been announced. I'd look for more info on that by the end of June, after the BLM issues the event permit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Eric » Tue May 21, 2013 1:03 am

bruce508 wrote:There have been years with no temple burn recently I believe. So, you are sure there will be a temple and a burn this year? Do you have a reference?

I've been going since 2003. The Temple has burned every year, on the last Sunday of the event (Sept 1 this year). It probably will again, but as others have said, it all depends on the weather and a million variables that I have no idea of. Will it most likely burn? Yep. Can anyone guarantee it will? Nope. If I could guarantee it I would have won the $600 million powerball last week, since I would be obviously psychic.

I will also confirm what everyone else has said - don't worry about when "things will happen", things are happening all the time. My first year I made a list of all the stuff I wanted to do & see. I didn't make it to any of it (none, nada, zero) and I had an amazing mind-blowing time. Relax into it, and go with the flow.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BBadger » Tue May 21, 2013 3:12 am

Generally:

• < Monday = Pre-setup by vets; see the city build up; tons of people in Reno
  • Mon - Wed = The best of Burning Man; the city grows
  • Thursday = Effigy burns; darktards trickling in noticeable amounts
  • Friday = Giant effigy burn; apex of partying; full flood of darktards, ravers, and weekenders
  • Saturday = Man burn
  • Sunday = Temple burn
  • Monday = Waiting for 3-4 hours in exodus
  • Tuesday = Late camp breakdown people leaving
  • Wed+ = GTFO unless you're staff

Unless you're hell bent on seeing the last big burn, or leaving Tuesday, leave in the morning Sunday so you avoid the temple burn -- and all the lines at exodus associated with it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby ygmir » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 am

I can tell you one thing, for sure in BRC: Nothings for sure! and no matter where you go, there you are!

yup, it's true. a huge wind storm could cancel or delay a particular burn. Probably other events.
you might try throwing your expectations away, and "Forrest Gump" it out there, just imagine you're driving into a box of chocolates.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby JayBobBoy » Tue May 21, 2013 8:44 am

Damn. I have to go to that other thread to get my snark license. I'm not sure i'm qualified....
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue May 21, 2013 9:35 am

They moved up the Temple burn last year to spread out Exodus, and since that seems to have worked like a charm, I'm guessing that they'll do it again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 am

Have you ever been to the Bahamas? They have a saying, you are on Bahama time now mon. It's like that at BM. The most organized person I know has what she calls a dance card that she attempts to keep too, but things happen.

The only deadlines BMorg seems to hold fast are deadlines for filing things. Everything else is fluid.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby forty_eight » Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 am

Eric wrote:don't worry about when "things will happen", things are happening all the time.

awesome ... i'm counting on this to be true, lol.
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby VultureChow » Tue May 21, 2013 10:30 am

tamarakay wrote:Have you ever been to the Bahamas? They have a saying, you are on Bahama time now mon. It's like that at BM. The most organized person I know has what she calls a dance card that she attempts to keep too, but things happen.

The only deadlines BMorg seems to hold fast are deadlines for filing things. Everything else is fluid.

I made it to one thing in the WWW guide that I looked up and planned. And it kind of sucked.

All the best experiences were accidental or rather mundane.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby graidawg » Tue May 21, 2013 11:30 am

Personally i let someone else do the planning, i give her complete control. Last year she tried to have a meeting. It didn't go well. From that moment on I tried to simply do as i was told, if it was something that could be delayed i delayed it. if not i jumped (staggered) to my feet and did it then rewarded myself with a beer.
this year i shall reward myself with a beer from about 6am. i have rigged an automatic beer delivery system so i can get drunk (or stay drunk) in my sleep.

the best laid plans of mice and men are as nothing to the logistical skills of MyDearFriend.
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue May 21, 2013 11:49 am

You know Dawg we need people like (((MDF))). Otherwise the entire camp would go to shit.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby graidawg » Tue May 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:You know Dawg we need people like (((MDF))). Otherwise the entire camp would go to shit.

yup. how lucky are we to have several organised women in BDC. i can imagine without them we would all get thirsty, dusty and cold in a big empty space with no wine
FREE THE SHERPAS
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Postby Eric » Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 pm

48_love wrote:
Eric wrote:don't worry about when "things will happen", things are happening all the time.

awesome ... i'm counting on this to be true, lol.

It's true.

The thing in front of you may not interest you, but there's that thing over there, and that other something going off in the distance, and what's that noise and damn I have to go to the JOTS and what's this I hear when I come out and what's that cool thing I can see down "D" I think I'll just bike over that way hey there's a bar and seriously is that live Irish music and hey I think it's time to go find a dance camp but wait there's a roller disco and I think I'll stop for some tea on my way and crap I almost ran into that person and now we're both laughing lets go adventuring....

This is also why you bring plenty of water when you leave camp - distractions can keep you away for a while, even when you were really only planning on running a block to the potty & heading back. You never know when the coolest "thing", whatever it may be, will claim you. You just have to leave yourself open to it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Absolutely true.

One tends to get waylaid and shanghaied.

Savannah

Postby Oldguy » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 pm

I read that to be well-layed and shang-tied. Ouch?
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby forty_eight » Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm just extremely excited ... for whatever and the rest!
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby BBadger » Tue May 21, 2013 5:47 pm

What I like is when I hear, "oh man, did you see that X, over by Y, at Z time? That was so awesome!"

And I never did...

And I don't really care because I was doing or seeing something else awesome.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby lemur » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 pm

LAMPLIGHTERS VILLAGE: BRUISED HOLE BAR: (behind the center camp cafe)

stop by for daily (recruitment) booze parties!!

Open all night and day, for all those other times of the day when you want to be at the best bar and lounge on the playa. (closed 5pm - 8:30pm)

(FREE Bonus for every customer: We're friendly!!)

Monday 3pm - 5pm: Panda's Cider Party
Tuesday 3pm - 5pm: Cupcakes Ska/Punk Checker Party
Wednesday 3pm 5pm: Peaches Underwear Party
Thursday 3pm - 5pm: Smokey's Old Skool Hip Hop Party (PURPLE DRANK!!!)
Friday 3pm - 5pm: Poppin's Sonic Screwdriver Dr. Who Party
Saturday 2pm-4pm: Cliff's Disco Inferno Party

stay afterwards to help do artsy participation stuff: spots fill up fast!!!

http://blog.burningman.com/2010/06/metr ... necessity/
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 pm

graidawg wrote:this year i shall reward myself with a beer from about 6am. i have rigged an automatic beer delivery system so i can get drunk (or stay drunk) in my sleep.

Hang in there Grai - I'm working on an intravenous beer delivery system. It looks promising, but I'm having some trouble getting the flow up to snuff - it's currently stuck at only one beer per hour.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lemur » Tue May 21, 2013 8:49 pm

A LUMIWHAT?!

THE PROCESSION OF THE LUMINFEROUS

at around 7:00PM the night of the man burn the lamplighters along with a group of musicians and dancers congregate at the fire cauldron that burns in front of the center camp cafe throughout the event.

the fire from this so-called ONE FLAME, is transfered from the cauldron called 'el diablo' to the bigass lantern known as the luminferous.. then the lamplighters, carry the multiple hundred pound beast on their shoulders from the center camp, to the Great Circle where the waiting man and fire conclave are...and then they walk it in a big circle around The Man base (safety concerned people decided it should go on a cart now, so we dont carry it anymore). This One Flame is then used to light said fire conclave with amazing burning delight. (this flame SYMBOLICALLY burns the man, so it is said by that one person)

...barely anyone shows up for this....

like, nobody really.

seriously.

you should show up.... walk with the big lantern out to the man, listen to the trippy music, its fun.

when you are sitting there WAITING for THE MAN to burn and for the conclave to happen....... this is likely what youre waiting for..... so, why not go and see it for yourself?

it's really neat. (if youre into that sort of cheezy western white ppl performance art ritual stuff)

[media]

(plus theres fire!!)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Tue May 21, 2013 8:55 pm

The pre-funk parties sound FUN, Lemur. :)

Savannah

Postby BBadger » Tue May 21, 2013 9:15 pm

lemur wrote:you should show up.... walk with the big lantern out to the man, listen to the trippy music, its fun.

And potentially lose our prime real estate at the Disneyland Parade Man burn that we strategically claimed with our lawn chairs (or a fucking bar stool in the case of the asshole in front of us one time) and bikes?

I'll have to think about this...

BBadger

Postby uncle sticky » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Here's how you plan your Burn:
Wake up, mostly
Coffee with bourbon, maybe some captain crunch.
Another coffee, this time stronger.
Shit starts to spiral, put on something obnoxious, no underpants.
Get on your bike, or a passing art car.
Experience whatever the fuck happens.
Find your camp again, eat something, drink some water, drink some more, put on something obnoxious but warm.
Drink some more, shit starts to spiral, get on your bike with something blinky, maybe a passing art car.
Experience whatever the fuck happens.
Find your camp again, most likely at dawn, go to sleep for 2-4 hours.
Repeat until exodus.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks