any minimalists?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: any minimalists?

Postby Sunbeam56 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

TomServo wrote:
Sunbeam56 wrote:We are Yuppie Scum Campers, and not too ashamed about it. :)

your in for a surprise. :)

Yah, I suspect so. That;s why I am reading here. :)
he biggest diff is the humidity. This is the Gulf Coast. 100% humidity, a LOT of the time. So evap coolers don't work. But on the Playa... the possibilities excite me. :)
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby TT120 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 pm

One luxury you should allow yourself is hand lotion and chapstick. It's mighty dry out on the Playa. My hands and feet were trashed. (Luckily I had Chapstick or my lips would have been wasted too)
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 am

TT120 wrote:One luxury you should allow yourself is hand lotion and chapstick. It's mighty dry out on the Playa. My hands and feet were trashed. (Luckily I had Chapstick or my lips would have been wasted too)

My buddy that knits showed me this stuff in 2011 that is sort of like wax/lotion all mixed together in a little bar. You rub it around your hands and it forms a sort of protective layer and slowly soaks in.
Its best for down time when lounging and relaxing, as it makes your hands kinda slippery.

The little bar in the Tin is totally what I'm talking about. I plan to add one of these little tins to my day bag.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:41 am

Sunbeam56 wrote:
TomServo wrote:
Sunbeam56 wrote:We are Yuppie Scum Campers, and not too ashamed about it. :)

your in for a surprise. :)

Yah, I suspect so. That;s why I am reading here. :)
he biggest diff is the humidity. This is the Gulf Coast. 100% humidity, a LOT of the time. So evap coolers don't work. But on the Playa... the possibilities excite me. :)

I believe the playa hovers around -200% Humidity. You'll be fine if you don't dry up and blow away.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Sunbeam56 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

i have been camping all my life. I remember camping with Dad on a hunting trip. We had a standard "blanket on a stick" tent. My brother and I snuggled with Dad in his goose down (Army surplus) sleeping bag. I had long hair, and woke with ice on my hair.
So - yeah. If I'm not too old and soft, the playa doesn't scare me except it makes me cautious. Planning is everything.

Minimalists invited to hover. :) Love to have you guys over for breakfast. :)
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Postby Rice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Sunbeam56 wrote:i have been camping all my life. I remember camping with Dad on a hunting trip. We had a standard "blanket on a stick" tent. My brother and I snuggled with Dad in his goose down (Army surplus) sleeping bag. I had long hair, and woke with ice on my hair.
So - yeah. If I'm not too old and soft, the playa doesn't scare me except it makes me cautious. Planning is everything.

Minimalists invited to hover. :) Love to have you guys over for breakfast. :)

As long as you are prepared, you should be fine...

I was certainly a bit nervous before my first burn, but realized I was prepared and could improvise when necessary!

Most of the advice you are getting is useful and valid, you should (probably) be fine. Camping in BRC is not at all like camping anywhere else.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby MikeGyver » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Last year I fit everything into the back of a Durango. my tent is probably the most luxury I have since its 14x9 for just me but I like being able to fit everything in it so my stuff isnt out in the open. Bring 2 cases of water and a few jugs, eat cup'o'noodles and canned soup all week other than what is handed to me walking around I bring a bike every year but spend more time walking than biking because you see more that way instead of flying past it on your way to something else (even at a average speed when your on a bike you dont tend to look around as much). All that goes in my cooler is drinks so I only buy ice twice during the week.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Elorrum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm

small apartment dweller here. Everything had to fit in the closet for the first four burns. bike was on the patio. I used my coolers for frozen water in two liter soda bottles, so I'd have cold water. Didn't bring any food that needed to be refrigerated, but that changes. Still I try to eat the perishables in the first couple of days. I had a basic camping kit, tent, stove, coolers, folding chair, table. For my first burn, all I added was two five gallon jugs, and a kelty shade shelter. I've never bought ice there. My neighbors were a couple of guys from Israel who "happened" to be driving across the country, camping along the way, and decided to check it out. (Tickets were easy to get then.) So, two guys in a rented mini station wagon, a little dome tent, two sand chairs, a cooler, and a tarp strung off the roof rack of their car for some shade to sit in. They bought gallon jugs of water and a few bags of groceries. I don't think they over thought it, and it worked out fine, in a year with some real wind.

You can do it.

Yay Savanah, Solo Bad Ass!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Canoe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Would this qualify?
Camp cot, sleeping bag, pillow, pull-over tarp for rain, pull-top Beefaroni, pull-top apricots, spoon, water, Emergen-C, cargo pants, shirt, shoes, sandals, hat, bandana, rain coat, spare t-shirt & socks, track-pants & top, sunscreen, lip-balm, wipes, toilet-paper, sunglasses, flashlight and a first-aid kit.
P&S camera, cards, batteries.
And my towel.

Minimalist - cot, sleeping bag, pillow.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Canoe wrote:And my towel.

Now that's just FUNNY right there. :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TT120 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:43 pm

Canoe wrote:Would this qualify?
Camp cot, sleeping bag, pillow, pull-over tarp for rain, pull-top Beefaroni, pull-top apricots, spoon, water, Emergen-C, cargo pants, shirt, shoes, sandals, hat, bandana, rain coat, spare t-shirt & socks, track-pants & top, sunscreen, lip-balm, wipes, toilet-paper, sunglasses, flashlight and a first-aid kit.
P&S camera, cards, batteries.
And my towel.

Minimalist - cot, sleeping bag, pillow.jpg

Thats awesome Canoe! You're doing it right!!! :D :D

Mmmmmmm....Beefaroni
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby 9ah » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 am

I hope you bring a case of Tums as well....

Somehow I always forget to pack my ration of Tums and end up using booze to combat acid reflux. Fun, I say!

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Sunbeam56 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:28 pm

We will have a standard OTC med kit, come on by, Nine-ah. :)
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Postby 9ah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:46 am

Noted... Which I will likely forget as well. :coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks