One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby otakup0pe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Got the hexayurt out of storage today. Started the process of getting it ready. Amazed at how badly the bifilament tape degraded after just under two weeks of UV exposure. All the tape hinges were under foil tape and are just like new. It was just the bits that we used to assemble the four pre-made pieces.

On the weekend I splurges and got a pelican case for my drone. Blasted thing cost half what the drone + RC mod did.

Unfortunately I won't have it playing free bird this year. That is my project for 2014.
otakup0pe

Burning Since: 2012

Postby 9ah » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:12 am

A friend gave me this as a gift. In LOVE!!

Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:17 am

I have one of those with a Soviet logo! I love them. :)

Make sure it's all the way lidded if you carry it on the outside of your pack. The lid may pop off. :shock:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ratty » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:08 pm

My clothes and costumes are PACKED. (Down to the last sock and undie). Whew.... :lol:

I got my heavy rubber gloves for my 'clean up' shifts as a greeter.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby winterdream28 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:09 pm

[quote="Ratty"]My clothes and costumes are PACKED. (Down to the last sock and undie). Whew.... :lol:

I packed everything up last night too:)!
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau
winterdream28

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ratty » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Winterdream, Feels great doesn't it?!
Ratty

Postby winterdream28 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm

It really is a nice, a weight off my shoulders. I wish I could make more fun outfits... but I guess gas money is sorta a essential item;) One less thing to worry about! Now to figure out that shade structure thats my next to-do:-D I cant wait, I now have a count down on my desk at work to get me through the days.
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau
winterdream28

Postby ohCarie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 pm

My aluminet arrived in the mail. Woohoo! I've wanted it for soooo long and finally got it. Great deal too, $190 for 70% 20x25. It's huge! I hung it up as curtains and love the cool room with a perfect view of outside. Why don't people make aluminet curtains? I looked and nada. Possible idea for you entrepreneurs out there.. you could make a fortune! :wink:
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby MikeGyver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:04 pm

Went through my list of stuff to pack and it seems too easy. I have to be forgetting something important.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 am

Food box filled with cans of spam, pork-n-beans, veenie-weinees, chunky chili/beans, hash, and a variety of soups to heat up or eat cold.

Freezer filled with chopped/prepped veggies, sausage patties(precooked), and protein bombs. Protein bombs took 2 days to make: yesterday I put 3 lbs. of black angus stew meat into crockpot to cook overnight, today I wrapped a dozen 3 inch cubes in bacon and fried them up.

In 3 weeks, I will put together my perishable cooler box: bread, eggs, milk, chocolate, etc...Every year I stop in at the Safeway grocery in Lovelock, Pershing County, Nevada to stock up. I then eat a good breakfast at Mickey D's, and gas up there in Lovelock, before the last push to the Playa.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:52 am

Signed up for two DMV shifts today (all we could do as of right now) so if you have your mv and need it licensed, I will be there Sunday (before gate) 11-5 and Tuesday 11-2.

Started packing clothes

Went and sorted the last of the stuff in the garage

Shit!! We leave in 27 days!!!!! :shock:
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby Theraplst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:59 am

Oldguy wrote:Food box filled with cans of spam, pork-n-beans, veenie-weinees, chunky chili/beans, hash, and a variety of soups to heat up or eat cold.

I must ask, what types of soup do you like to eat cold most often? and what chili's? I'm very lazy and I'll likely only cook one meal a day, eat the rest cold.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Oldguy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 am

Most soups are pre cooked ( pasteurized at the factory), so all you are really doing is heating them up at home. I personally prefer clear soups, tomato, meat broth; and certain creamed soups I put on pasta or mix with other ingredients. I like cream of mushroom soup, hot off the dashboard.

Good mornin' all, happy TGIF. :coffee:
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:44 am

Last night took the power sander to the calluses on my heels, and applied Flexitol Heel Balm. By the time I go to the desert there will be no dry calluses to crack and hurt.
Elliot's Bicycle Service & Beverage Station - a 2015 BRC Theme Camp

a.k.a. Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar, etc

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service & Bevera...

Postby Ratty » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 am

I eat progresso soup hot off the top of my van.
Ratty

Postby 9ah » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 am

Shall do. They were intended to use at a bar she works at.. But it's going to the playa as well. Maybe next year I''ll pack her too!

Savannah wrote:I have one of those with a Soviet logo! I love them. :)

Make sure it's all the way lidded if you carry it on the outside of your pack. The lid may pop off. :shock:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby otakup0pe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 am

Elliot wrote:Last night took the power sander to the calluses on my heels, and applied Flexitol Heel Balm. By the time I go to the desert there will be no dry calluses to crack and hurt.

I am not at the point where I am literally using the dremel on my heels but my pumice stone has been getting a lot of use recently.

Yesterday I gave up on trying to figure out how to securely attach a decent rear cargo rack to my bike. I'm just going to get a trailer.
otakup0pe

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:56 am

60 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander.
In the movie The World's Fastest Indian (about a vintage Indian brand motorcycle), Anthony Hopkins' character uses an angle grinder to trim his toe nails. If that's good enough for the great Anthony Hopkins....

Anyway, in an other One A Day Item.... I'm now investing a few minutes each day sunning myself, to build a protective "base tan".

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:02 pm

This morning's Item was servicing Millicent's plumbing.

:shock:

Millicent is a converted school bus. She has conventional RV plumbing -- toilet, shower, sink, waste tanks, fresh water tank.
This applies to all RVs! Do not expect your kindly uncle, and certainly not an RV rental agency, to service the plumbing before your trip.

Attach RV drain hose to RV drain outlet, and the other end to a house sewer pipe cleanout or other sewer intake such as at campgrounds and some rest areas.
Drain "black" tank -- toilet holding tank. Close that drain valve again.
Drain "grey" tank -- wash water tank. Do it in this order so the grey water rinses the black water thru the hose. Close that valve again.
(Some RVs have only one combined drain valve.)
Pour generous quantities of non-formaldehyde RV no-stink chemical in both tanks. This chemical can be bought even in regular hardware stores -- try the drain cleaner shelf in the plumbing department. Auto part stores also carry it. Follow the label for the quantity, then add some more. And bring the bottle with you.
Fill fresh water tank with tap water. Use a drinking-water-rated hose -- usually white with green stripe -- if you can. With a regular garden hose, let the water run a while to flush out the rubber odor. Add 1/4 (quarter) cup of regular laundry bleach per 50 gallons to kill any germs that might want to grow in the tank.

Enjoy your trip.

Elliot

Postby 171/348 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Brought the RV home from the shop today. Hopefully we're done with that until after the burn (save one more possible visit to fix the speedometer... cruise control would be nice on the 7000 mile drive). Fluids and filters on the engine, tranny and gennie. Ended up replacing all 3 batteries (ouch!). Gotta remember to get extra air filters to put in post-playa.
Made a huge dent in the most burdensome life crap I need to get out of the way before the burn too.

I hit the road 2 weeks from tomorrow! :shock:
171/348

Postby Theraplst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:49 pm

My new tent came in the mail today. It's a big taller than I expected, but after going inside it, I'm glad. It sets up really easy. I'll just need to go buy some stronger rope for it and upgrade my stakes.

Any tips on small tent rebaring? some of the stake loops are rather small. There's 4 guy lines and 4 stakes, making 8 total. I was thinking of just candy-caning some smaller rebar, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter. I'd rather not be a sailboat :3
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby TT120 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 pm

Theraplst wrote:..........Any tips on small tent rebaring? some of the stake loops are rather small. There's 4 guy lines and 4 stakes, making 8 total. I was thinking of just candy-caning some smaller rebar, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter. I'd rather not be a sailboat :3

I'm going to try these giant 12" nails with a big washer on each one for my tent loops. Drive them into the Playa at an angle and flush to the ground. That will keep my tent down and no trip hazard.

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:02 pm

I use 10" Coleman stakes that are very similar (big nails, basically) except for green plastic thingamabobs under the heads to help prevent them from getting lost in the earth. A 30" Fulton wrecking bar helps get 'em back out.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Ratty » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 am

My big canvas tent I don't rebar the tent, only the many ropes that secure it. around the tent it's self I use little stakes.

My little tent is held down entirely by the tools, extra rebar and bins of food inside. It ain't movin. (But it's a tiny little dome).
Ratty

Postby Theraplst » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:13 am

Thanks for the tips. a good point ratty, my tent will likely be held down by it's insides. another concern of mine is the shade I'm putting over it. Just gonna double up aluminet and hold it a little bit over my tent. still gotta figure that out. would you recommend anything different for this? since it won't be held down by anything but stakes.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Malcolm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:35 am

Savannah wrote:I use 10" Coleman stakes that are very similar (big nails, basically) except for green plastic thingamabobs under the heads to help prevent them from getting lost in the earth. A 30" Fulton wrecking bar helps get 'em back out.

I was going to go with the 12" nails (I didn't think about the washers TT120), but found that my particular tent needs the pegs with the beveled ends, so I went with the 10" Colemans.
I was worried that they wouldn't be long enough. Have you had any issues with them?
Malcolm

Postby maladroit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:42 am

TT120 wrote:
Theraplst wrote:..........Any tips on small tent rebaring? some of the stake loops are rather small. There's 4 guy lines and 4 stakes, making 8 total. I was thinking of just candy-caning some smaller rebar, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter. I'd rather not be a sailboat :3

I'm going to try these giant 12" nails with a big washer on each one for my tent loops. Drive them into the Playa at an angle and flush to the ground. That will keep my tent down and no trip hazard.

Instead of the washers, I'd take a page from FIGJAM (as should we all) and get a piece of chain that has links just big enough to fit over the nail, but not the head. Cut up the chain into two-link pieces. Now you end up with one secure link and one floppy link to tie off your guy lines. The difference is that FIGJAM uses giant lag screws and a power drill to zip them in and out of the playa.
maladroit

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Jesus is figjam bill nye in real life? He seems to know everything. I need him on speed dial!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:43 pm

I know a lot about a few things.

I know a little about a lot of things.

I don't know everything about anything. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks