One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I've been receiving packages here at my house for a few long distance friends. Some of the stuff is quite entertaining... :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Don't forget to test all the food and liquor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby burner von braun » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:46 pm

I ordered my bifilament tape the other day, and received a shipping confirmation email from someone named.. Sandy Burns!
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Elorrum » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 pm

two packages of stereo and battery parts. Four pairs of inexpensive coolmax socks. very lightweight long sleeve fishing shirt, light blue. two folding sporks. One battery holder was the wrong thing... so maybe one more order. a very cool little folding metal table, been watching for this for a while.
Midnight on a carousel ride
Reaching for the gold ring down inside

2015 eplaya meet and greet/ Barbie Death Village/ 7 and E/ Wed. 6PM
Elorrum

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket (BDV)

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm

lucky420 wrote:I've been receiving packages here at my house for a few long distance friends. Some of the stuff is quite entertaining... :lol:

I once shipped pickled asparagus to Motskyroonmatick's house. :D

And then I was texting him all furiously on departure day: "ABOVE ALL, MY FRIEND, DID YOU PACK THE ASPARAGUS?!?11" and he's like, "Yep". Hee.

Last night I finally combined three long-hoarded gift cards and bought a Serger for the project I am unlikely to complete in the next month. I don't even care if that happens! I bought a big scary thing I don't know how to use, and it is excellent!

From time to time I am sharply reminded that the Burn encourages me to try lots of things I don't know how to do. And this is good.

Today, I bought more fruit cups, canned cider and beer.

(Admittedly, I am not scared to try those.)
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Received the generator today. Poured in some oil and gas, started up on the second pull. I'm amazed at how quiet it was for $400. I took it to my friend's place and put it next to a Honda EU2000i. We agreed the size and sound level are about the same (both Eco mode and flat out), but the Champion has a slightly lower, rumbly note compared to the Honda. We could hold a conversation at a normal volume with our faces about 2 feet away from the generator.

Can't really speak to the reliability, having had it for only half a day...he dragged his Honda out of the closet exactly as it was when it left the playa. It took about a dozen pulls to get started, and released a massive cloud of playa dust, but it ran. I'm not positive the Champion will manage the same feat, so I'll definitely do some post-playa maintenance.

maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:13 am

Your generator sounds great! Tell your friend to replace the spark plug on his Honda. It's a cheap part (under $5 in a lot of places), that'll get him back to starting on one pull.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:20 am

It's more likely to be the air filter.

It's the first thing to check for a quick start! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:05 am

Oh man, I forgot! That's one more thing I gotta do!! Like today!!
I have an EU1000 that hasn't been run in at least 6 or 7 years, since I used to use it on my MV, hasn't been touched since BM '07. It doesn't start at all. I still don't need it but backup is nice.
And my EU2000s run like shit.

I'm glad you guys mentioned this, in all my other crap I hadn't even thought of the generators.

Oh, I'm glad you tried out that Champion, I've seen those, been wondering if they are OK.
Do they parallel?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby maladroit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm

I've gotten small engines working after sitting for 20 years, but only very basic Briggs ones, and after an almost total teardown and rebuild. I'm afraid to think what would happen after giving the playa dust 6 years to work on it.

The Champions can be paralleled, it's kind of neat...there's a box that goes between them, and they stack on top of each other. I'm not sure if it's worthwhile compared to getting a bigger one in the first place.

[media]
maladroit

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Normally I'd defer to your expertise in mechanical affairs, Figgy, but that has definitely not been my experience with Hondas over the last several years. Including the maintenance I did last week. I pull and clean the air filter first (it's easier to get to), and in the case of my most recent maintenance the filter was clean anyways (I'd cleaned a couple times in the off-season). Before spark swap, it took a couple pulls. After, it started up on the first go.

Captain, if you don't already have 'em look into the oil change spout attachment and the magnetic dipstick. The former made changing the oil a breeze (and mess-free), and the latter is great for catching any tiny metal filings/shavings that may get into the system after years of use.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby maladroit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

There's probably a tiny air filter in spark plugs that no one knows about except FIGJAM, and that's what he meant anyway.
maladroit

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I'm just glad to be surrounded by people who can teach me TWO possible problems with my stubborn (if non-existent) generator. All this know-how. It really paves the way towards future ambitions.

Savannah

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm by no means an expert. :lol:

Whenever I could'nt get a lawnmower or chainsaw to start, I looked at the air cleaner first and that would take care of it 90% of the time.

If the machine was sitting for a long time, the next step was to check for varnish in the carb.

The sparkplug would be next.

Considering how long you can run your car on a set of plugs, I would wonder why hondas go through plugs so quick or maybe try a platinum plug. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Jackass » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:17 pm

Just hit the plug with a torch, get it red hot, after it cools off make sure the gap is correct and put it back in. If the electrodes are not worn, this works just fine. No need to buy a new plug, just burn the shit off of the one you have, gap it, and it's as good as new!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token
Jackass

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Savannah wrote:I'm just glad to be surrounded by people who can teach me TWO possible problems with my stubborn (if non-existent) generator. All this know-how. It really paves the way towards future ambitions.

Me too! I can't get my fantasy generator to start either. I suspect it's neither the air filter nor the plugs but what do I know? :wink:

My one item:

The Jetta (black of course) is currently in the shop getting the once over. So far I need three tires and an oil change - they're still trying to figure out the rear wiper issue. I'm not sure it's a good or bad thing to have your mechanic also be your neighbor. So far he's never formally complained about the goings on at Chateau Sic Pup (there has been one or two "what the hell was that noise last night?") As far as I know he's not the one that keeps calling the cops.

With any luck I'll get the lawn done, get my bike ride in and finally crack the playa encrusted storage boxes so I can take inventory and finalize my Amazon order which has had items sitting in the cart since, seemingly last burn. But I'm not holding my breath or anything like that.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:59 pm

OK... stopped by the local Honda shop, got new plugs, ordered new air filters (I was surprised they didn't have them on the shelf).

I've seen the oil change spout and magnetic plugs, had also since forgotten about them, thanks for that reminder too. I think I'll Google them up and order them right now!

I probably need to disassemble my carburetors and clean them up too. One of the EU2000s won't run unless the choke is half on.
Captain Goddammit

Postby maladroit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:16 pm

I've been stocking up on these soups, even without the benefit of playappetite they are some of the better soups I've tasted (outside of that one amazing $40 crab and lobster bisque with wild mushrooms and truffles). My main challenge has been stopping myself from eating them. Safeway ran a sale on some for about $2.50 and the curry one was reduced to $1.64.

maladroit

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Mmm! Good idea.

I have recently realized how good the Trader Joe's organic "Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper" soup is. The regular tomato is a little bland, but the variety with the roasted red pepper has a great flavor. It's boxed, with a pour spout. I'm giving thought to bringing some along.

Savannah

Postby forty_eight » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 pm

I got a bike rack today. 8)
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm

My favorite playa food is top ramen with spaghetti sauce and hamburger, pre-cooked at home so I can just microwave some, douse it in that canned powdery parmesan, and have instant food. I better go get some of that too.
Captain Goddammit

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

My only guess with the plug on the Honda's spark plug is that the playa environment promotes carbonizing. After 6+ months they look pretty charred. I've never looked into a platinum plug, as the regular plug's a cheap and easy regular maintenance item.

Captain, are you replacing the stock user-cleanable air filters that you access from inside the big door/panel, or am I missing something??
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BeeWeeDee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Got a good start on the Dry Ice chest 2' x 2' x 3' internal dimensions). The walls consist of 4" of foam board that I will seal because it is pretty moopy right now.

The plan is to place two dividers in the chest and then put the DI in the center compartment. The lid will have three sections that way. Frozen food (ice cream, "casseroles" etc.) in the two outer compartments along with containers of water ice. Then throughout the burn I will transfer ice and foods to the regular cooler to keep beverages cool and minimize the opening and closing of the DI chest. Looking forward to handing out ice cream the day of the burn.

The engineer in me calculates that the DI should last a good 10 days and in the back of a pickup the CO2 offgassing should not present an asphyxiation hazard.

On the road in 30 days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby Elliot » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:My favorite playa food is top ramen with spaghetti sauce and hamburger, pre-cooked at home so I can just microwave some, douse it in that canned powdery parmesan, and have instant food. I better go get some of that too.

What a strange life you lead, Captn. My favorite food Playa food is what somebody else serves me. (Could have something to do with the fact that I can barely boil water without burning down the house.)

ALL RIGHTY THEN.... I just resurrected the World's Slowest Bicycle. I had borrowed parts off it for other nefarious poiposes. Now it is back together -- a Bait Bike that I will bring to the Meet-n-greet. Bwahahaha and so forth. :twisted:
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Elliot wrote:
ALL RIGHTY THEN.... I just resurrected the World's Slowest Bicycle. I had borrowed parts off it for other nefarious poiposes. Now it is back together -- a Bait Bike that I will bring to the Meet-n-greet. Bwahahaha and so forth. :twisted:

Ha! That's a hoot Elliot!
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Finished 48 gift items today.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm just replacing the cleanable air filters under the plastic cover on the side.
I took the carburetors apart - oh the horrors!!! Holy crap. Gelled up old gas, rusty looking crud, general mucky ickiness.
Cleaned them all up, they now do that awesome one-pull start-up and purr :)
Captain Goddammit

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 pm

maladroit wrote:I've been stocking up on these soups, even without the benefit of playappetite they are some of the better soups I've tasted (outside of that one amazing $40 crab and lobster bisque with wild mushrooms and truffles). My main challenge has been stopping myself from eating them. Safeway ran a sale on some for about $2.50 and the curry one was reduced to $1.64.

I love curry... But their coconut curry sucked. It tasted pretty gross. Nothing like I have ever had before nor want to ever have again... This is coming from someone who was a manager of and Indian restaurant with it being owned/chef being from India.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Postby International Incident » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

lucky420 wrote:I've been receiving packages here at my house for a few long distance friends. Some of the stuff is quite entertaining... :lol:

:D

I'm looking forward to seeing you as well!
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Ratty » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Waaaaaa. I can't find some stuff I bought in Bali. I own too much stuff. I'll stop looking and maybe it'll turn up.

Maybe if I get RID of one item a day I'll own stuff instead of it owning me.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks