One Item for BMan 2013 a Day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:21 pm

No need to worry. Simply strap the pizza to your hood. It'll be hot when you get through the line.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Oldguy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 pm

Woo Hoo, I got my low-income ticket confirmation e-mail today. At will-call window I'll need my ID, printout, and credit/debit card. I'm Really going...it just hit me...fulfillment. :D
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Congratulations, Oldguy. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ratty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Yeah!! Congrats!! (We need more old guys.)
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Awesome hoodie, Elliot, and in just the right color to boot.

Yeah, Oldguy, and at just the right price to boot!

I actually took one step in planning. In past years, I've always done

Day 1 NY-Chi
Day 2 Chi-North Platte, Ne
Day 3 NE - SLC
Day 4 SLC- Reno

Driving solo and dinner with some friends in Chicago.

This year, I'm not looking forward to the impact on these old bones. 14 hour stretches racing to make dinner appointments isn't going to cut it anymore. One year, I had a wicked case of poison ivy and was on prednizone, peeing like a racehorse. I think I left DNA at every rest stop between NY and Reno (and yeah, I had my fabric softener bottle but I'm not coordinated enough to multitask at 70mph).

So I made an executive decision, this year it's:

Day 1 NY-Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Day 2 OH-Des Moines
Day 3 IA -Denver
Day 5 CO-SLC
Day 6 SLC-Reno

Dinner with friends in Cuyahoga, and dinner in Denver (and the next day) with my eldest daughter.

I haven't booked anything, just sent emails telling all that I'm coming to town and to start saving money and looking for the best restaurant in their respective cities (presumptuous is my middle name).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:58 pm

What day will you be doing Des Moines? We are also driving , from Iowa.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:39 pm

completed the head light for the trike... One (junk) brass carriage (porch) lite..

Gutted.. Glued mirrors to the inside of the side glass, bottom and top.. Gutted a 21 bulb LED flash light and attached it in to the inside back..*By pasted the switch and brought the wires outside..Added an extra wire in the batteries to attach a small solar panel.. Solar panel puts out enough to charge the 3 X AAA batteries in the sun.. Going back to the garage to attach the head light to the trike..

The trike has a removable wire basket.. Going to take the attachment plate off the basket.. Drill and bolt the head light to the basket plate.. The light will be removable like the basket..I have a bike trailer to haul my shit in this year...

Elesabethen brass carriage lite with a LED twist..

*By passing the switch..Flatten your wire end and slip it behind the + end plate and duct tape to hold it. Tape the other wire to the + end of the battery.. To add a solar panel.. Place a wire behind the - spring of the last battery.. This is one leg to the panel.. The other leg is a wire running off the wire you have tapped to the + end for the light switch .

For a on/off switch.. One wire has a roach clip and just bare wire for the other..
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Bring backup unjon!!!

My home made headlights work great untill they encounter the constant jarring of riding on the playa.

This year it's mounted with it's own shock obsorber, but I'm still bringing backup. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Getting ALL my sewing done today!
Have three more very simple pieces to do and I'm done. Prob start packing it all in a bag to tonight. :D
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Bring backup unjon!!!

My home made headlights work great untill they encounter the constant jarring of riding on the playa.

This year it's mounted with it's own shock obsorber, but I'm still bringing backup. 8)

I figure if it holds up, Great.. If not it's a good steam punk show piece.. Going to put a hook 5 6 ft above my head and pro lantern w/metal globe. Make a good target for that ugly Cap & boat.. Also a million candle spot for spotting open playa peer in the night..
unjonharley

Postby BeeWeeDee » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Just got back from the Utah regional burn (Element 11) and was rewarded by what I refer to as the "Pre-burn shake down."

The minor things I forgot to take are now on the list for things to absolutely take to TTITD (Instant electrolyte mix, nails for securing the canvas tarp to the playa, a small broom for the canvas tarp, a sage smudge stick for cleansing negative energy, and some artists sketch pads for drawing.

I also learned that my preparation for wet conditions was lacking. Burning Man - Desert - Summer - RAIN. It can happen.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby Rusted Iron » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 pm

Newer Truck to replace the one that crapped out last year. Check.

It took 11 months to replace the Ford but we found a slightly used Dodge that should tow anything. The only problem is that it's so pretty and clean I hate to see it get dusted. (I'll get over it...)
Rusted Iron

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:00 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:Just got back from the Utah regional burn (Element 11) and was rewarded by what I refer to as the "Pre-burn shake down."

The minor things I forgot to take are now on the list for things to absolutely take to TTITD (Instant electrolyte mix, nails for securing the canvas tarp to the playa, a small broom for the canvas tarp, a sage smudge stick for cleansing negative energy, and some artists sketch pads for drawing.

I also learned that my preparation for wet conditions was lacking. Burning Man - Desert - Summer - RAIN. It can happen.

It always rains at E-11, no matter when we schedule it. And thanks for the terrific art!

What did you think of our fire conclave?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Got one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/73531i-Champion ... 3cd3846627

The word on the street is that it's nearly as quiet as an EU2000i. That seems like an impressive feat, but I'll be making an open top sound baffle box for it anyway. It has to be better than last year's theme camp generator that was one of those open-frame unmuffled skullbeaters, pointed right at my tent.

Additionally...I posted in here about getting two bikes but losing the other rider. The playa IS ALREADY providing, and that's no longer an issue :)
maladroit

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 am

Sic Pup wrote:...
Day 3 IA -Denver
Day 5 CO-SLC
Day 6 SLC-Reno...

I've done the North Platte, Cheyenne, Rock Springs, SLC, Winnemucca, Fernley.

This year, to avoid the I-80 from Winnemucca, I'm looking at changing to coming into Fernley on Highway 50.
I'm thinking to leave I-80 in NE and take the 76 down to Denver,
70 out of Denver, through Vail, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction and into Utah,
a short jog on the 15 South of SLC to get onto 50,
across 50 to Fernley.

Total distance change is only 82 miles. I can't get a handle on hills, but I figure it's time for a transmission cooler anyways.

I gather that the 70 & 50 are a rather scenic drive, and this year looks like I have a really good excuse.

Thoughts on joining 50 from 70, or should I stick to getting to SLC via 80/Rock Springs and then jog down to 50 from SLC or Wendover?
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Elliot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 am

Be advised, there is a monstrous hill just west of Denver. The highest pass, somewhere around Vail, is around 11,000 feet. Deflate air mattresses, bicycle tires and such a good bit, or they may explode. Any Fritos bags will explode. Scenic, you bet.

Also, although I have not driven 50 in decades, Nevada in general has a severe shortage of filling stations. Top off at every opportunity, and carry extra fuel in cans.

Off ya go!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Fundraiser now live: http://igg.me/at/elliotsbicycleservice/x/11087604

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 am

Elliot wrote:...Deflate air mattresses, bicycle tires and such a good bit, or they may explode. Any Fritos bags will explode...

omg
never thought of that!

Thank you
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby BeeWeeDee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

You might consider avoiding Denver and the long pull up out of the city by staying on 80 across Wyoming. Then avoid SLC by cutting down to I-15 on 40 and 189 picking up I-15 at Provo. Then you cut off a smidgen by taking Hwy 6 until you intersect Hwy 50.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.
BeeWeeDee

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am

re: highway 50 through Nevada.

It has b een designated the lonliest hwy in america. It's really not that bad though. There are gas stations in all the little towns that you'll pass through so you should have no problem finding a place to fill up. Just dont forget to fill up before leaving any town on your way to the next.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby BeeWeeDee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:12 pm

It always rains at E-11, no matter when we schedule it. And thanks for the terrific art!

What did you think of our fire conclave?

AntiM - Rain was just one of those assumptions I made that could not happen. Now that I know it ALWAYS rains I will adjust accordingly. By the time I'm dead I might have this all figured out ;) It was very pleasant spending time in your camp and seeing how it's done.

The fire conclave was terrific and I was taken aback with the performance and skill. I truly did not expect as big of a production as what I witnessed (albeit I was a tad chemically enhanced)!
BeeWeeDee

Postby Martiansky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Ordered some more el wire.
Chose that over glow sticks like I did the first time.
I use clear hockey tape(actually hockey sock tape) to hold it on my bike or whatever.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Utility belt achievement unlocked.

I'm very very excited about this. I build stuff, and as both the art lead and head of a camp I'm constantly wandering about with pockets filled to bursting, and changing clothes takes several extra minutes just to unload and then re-load the contents of my pockets. This is something I should have sorted out years ago...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Martiansky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Acheivement unlocked......LEVEL UP!

Nice work, Trilo!
That's me, too......pockets full, belt as tight as possible(no hips=wear a belt)so the pants/shorts don't fall down.....
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Camp Name: --->Hushville

Postby Sic Pup » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 pm

Canoe wrote:
Sic Pup wrote:...
Day 3 IA -Denver
Day 5 CO-SLC
Day 6 SLC-Reno...

I've done the North Platte, Cheyenne, Rock Springs, SLC, Winnemucca, Fernley.

This year, to avoid the I-80 from Winnemucca, I'm looking at changing to coming into Fernley on Highway 50.
I'm thinking to leave I-80 in NE and take the 76 down to Denver,
70 out of Denver, through Vail, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction and into Utah,
a short jog on the 15 South of SLC to get onto 50,
across 50 to Fernley.

Total distance change is only 82 miles. I can't get a handle on hills, but I figure it's time for a transmission cooler anyways.

I gather that the 70 & 50 are a rather scenic drive, and this year looks like I have a really good excuse.

Thoughts on joining 50 from 70, or should I stick to getting to SLC via 80/Rock Springs and then jog down to 50 from SLC or Wendover?

I did the former on the return. It's a magnificent ride, stunning. That said the ride through Wyoming into SLC is no slouch either it's just that one is desolate and offers solitude (my speed) and the other offers a typical faceless life in a rush vibe. I had no issues with my bulging VW TDI (if you don't count the blown tire, the 100 mile 65 mph beat the clock ride on a donut and loading/unloading 8 times )

My only concern would be missing my first chance for In N Out in SLC.

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought....serious thought.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby maladroit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:45 pm

That sexy hexy tape....

maladroit

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Sic Pup wrote:
My only concern would be missing my first chance for In N Out in SLC.

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought....serious thought.

Provo has an In and Out now.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TT120 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:33 pm

I got some more 12" spikes for my tent and some big washers to keep tent loops from coming off the head of the nail.

Does anybody know what these giant nails are used for in the default world? My first thought was vampires but then I remembered it has to be a wooden stake.

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Postby Oldguy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Used in securing landscape timbers and log structures, long spike nails have been used before Roman times... crucifiction anyone ?
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Oldguy wrote:Used in securing landscape timbers and log structures, long spike nails have been used before Roman times... crucifiction anyone ?

So,You walk inand throw three spikes on the desk.. Say to the inn keeper: Can you put me up fr the night?
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks