Stupid Question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Stupid Question

Postby Dancingcrone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm planning to come to Burning Man next year from the UK and what I need to know is - last year it started on the Monday and finished on the Monday. When do people pack up and leave? Monday or Tuesday? Is Monday the last full day? I want to get all I can from my trip and have to try to plan things out somehow although at the moment it's doing my head in. Help please
Dancingcrone

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Stupid Question

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm

There are no more events after the burns on Sunday night. (Or maybe it's just the temple that burns Sunday. I don't know.)
People leave Saturday after the burn, they leave Sunday, they leave Monday, Some even leave Tuesday or later.

It depends on your own time and circumstances and preferences. The event is geared towards using the the holiday (Monday) as the day to drive home. Be prepared to be flexible. Last year it took people 8 hours or more on Monday to get to the interstate. This year, a lot of people seemed to leave earlier, and then Monday was not such a nightmare.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

The American holiday called Labor Day is always the last day of Burning Man. The greatest number of people leave that Monday, and the day before.

If the Burn follows its usual pattern, the 2013 Burn will be from August 26th - September 2nd.

One may stay on the playa a day late (until Tuesday) without being bothered by anyone about it, and subsequently find it very easy to leave without waiting in line. However, almost any other time on Labor Day (Monday) or the day before, there may be a long line to get out . . . although people were so shocked by last year's wait that there was a natural city-wide effort this year to spread out departure times . . . for some, as early as the day before the Burn. (People who left that early were mostly seasoned Burners who arrived early with special permission.) This year, I know of barely anyone who waited more than an hour or three to get out--if that.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:50 pm

She means "Labour Day".. :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Bank Holiday Monday
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 pm

junglesmacks wrote:She means "Labour Day".. :lol:

:lol:

. . . . YOU'RE RIGHT. I should have done that. :shock: How did I miss a chance to put a "u" where it doesn't belong?

I love the word "favourite". It's like eating candy.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 am

Labor Day.........ya see, here in Yankville, we celebrate May Day in the fall.......
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 am

Dancingcrone wrote:I'm planning to come to Burning Man next year from the UK and what I need to know is - last year it started on the Monday and finished on the Monday. When do people pack up and leave? Monday or Tuesday? Is Monday the last full day? I want to get all I can from my trip and have to try to plan things out somehow although at the moment it's doing my head in. Help please

Read your ticket and Survival Guide, follow all signs, and obey the scruffy person in the Volare reminding you over the megaphone that Burning Man is over and go the fuck home.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi this year i got home on the Wednesday before and left on the Tuesday after. (yay me!) However it was with EA passes and determination. you may have to find a theme camp to stay with and do various chores to get in early and 2 weeks in the desert is a hell of a stay, even if you don't want to leave after 7 day you almost certainly will after 9.

Overall i spent the best part of 5 weeks over the pond, by making plans to do other stuff, Misa seems to have been over there for about a year now (jealous) and i know of others who got a 6 month visa and traveled around seeing more of America before coming back to blighty. Its a question of how much money have you got and who do you know.

me I'm working on staying over (someone offer me a job please) (really please please please) so i can go every bloody year and have a life outside of seeing my friends at ttitd
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby pink » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:30 pm

You could move into my backyard and work on my house for rent. Can't pay much though. But I have access to one of those wands you were so intrigued with!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Monday is when most folks that stayed for the temple burn leave. I left on Tuesday (or Wednesday) morning. The playa was down to about 5-7k at that point so there was no wait to get off the playa.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby graidawg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 am

pink wrote:You could move into my backyard and work on my house for rent. Can't pay much though. But I have access to one of those wands you were so intrigued with!

How did i miss this? its the best offer i have had so far. And tempting. lets talk about this pink.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks