Choosing Photo gear, 10 Tips

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Choosing Photo gear, 10 Tips

Postby rjkern » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 pm

[attachment=0]wpid-rjkern-2012-08-23-11-30.jpg[/attachment]After months of planning and geeky camera testing, I prepare myself for my 2nd trip to Burning Man in Black Rock City (BRC), NV. I’ll be shooting a personal project involving families and couples in love on the playa. This time, I’ll be shooting medium format in Boy Scout uniform.

This is my second Burn. I learned a bit my first time and share a few things here:

1. Bring your favorite camera. Seriously, it won’t do you good sitting at home. I’ve never had any issues with gear on the playa, knock on wood. And if you have a wedding or portrait session right after burning man, save a good camera at home just in case.

2. Make gaffer tape your friend. It won’t leave a sticky residue on surfaces and does a great job to seal your camera’s sensitive parts, especially around crevasses and the lens mount.

3. Leave the lens on. Changing lens isn’t a good idea, especially in a dust storm.

4. Choose the gear that compliments your style. If you like shooting JPEG in available light shooting at 1.2, perhaps a sun shade will be your friend.

5. Buy gear Insurance. I spend about $600 a year to insure my gear so I can bring it to wild locales without worries.

See the rest along with tons of useful links here:

http://www.kern-photo.com/index.php/201 ... ou-in-brc/

If you have questions, drop a comment on my blog and I promise to respond (I don't check this forum too much and want to respond before next week).

If I you see me, don’t be afraid to introduce yourself and I’ll be happy to take some time and create a portrait for you.

Cheers!

R. J. Kern
"Scout"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am Scout. I come prepared!
rjkern

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks