Taking EL wire creations on a plane...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Taking EL wire creations on a plane...

Postby john_London1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:09 am

So I made a pretty awesome set of EL wire and panel based costumes. I'm really please with them. But....

I then realised I have to fly to burning man. It occurs to me my bag is now going to be full of wire, batteries and components i.e. will look really dodgy on x ray

Knowing the US border security is on the tight side, I wondered has anyone else ever had any problem with this? I don't want to cause any trouble...

Thanks for the help anyone
john_London1

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Taking EL wire creations on a plane...

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 am

There's no problem whatsoever and in fact has already been a thread on just this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46190

When I travel to BM, I'm usually bringing an entire carry on of just LED projects complete with batteries and all. Yeah.. nothing but wires, batteries and components on the xray. I hang out next to my bag until it goes in the machine and tell the guy doing the xray or any TSA member whose attention that I can get that "Hey.. I've got an LED lighting project in here. Just a heads up..".

They may not even open it as their equipment is pretty sophisticated and they can tell if you've got something more than that. If they do open it, it's a quick scan and/or swab test and you're good to go.

No worries.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks