Health

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Health

Postby Nynaeve » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Trying to get things prepped for the burn this year and one of my biggest concerns is my health. Last year I got tonsillitis and I am guessing its going to be DUSTY AS FUCK this year I really want to avoid getting sick. I don't have insurance to go to a doctor so i need tips, advice anything you can tell me on staying healthy out there. What vitamins do I take, how can I get antibiotics if I need them? MASKS which should I get, order, saw dust grade?? Any advice will be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Nynaeve

Re: Health

Postby Jackass » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Start partying and staying up til the sun comes up, that way you'll be used to it, then you only have to adjust to the heat, dust and elevation. Just a thought
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Read the 2012 Survival Guide linked in my signature--this is straight from there.

As a member of a community built on self-reliance, YOU are responsible for your own basic first aid needs. However, if you or someone you know (or encounter) requires medical assistance, contact an Emergency Services Department volunteer or a Black Rock Ranger, or visit our Medical Clinic near Center Camp at Esplanade & 5:15 or at the Emergency Services Stations behind the Civic Plazas located at 3 & 9 o’clock. Trained emergency medical personnel are on duty 24 hours a day and emergency evacuation is available. The most common problems we encounter are dehydration and lacerations from stepping or tripping on unprotected rebar or tent stakes. Please avoid injury and act responsibly. If you are looking for your friend whom you suspect may have been injured and medi-vac’d from Black Rock City, go to Playa Info for more information.

It's possible Emergency Services may have certain antibiotics (not at 3 & 9 o'clock Plazas though, only at Center Camp where the most serious cases end up). Treatment on the playa is free. If you are very, very sick they'll evacuate you, and THAT will cost you, but them's the breaks. If you are medically stable and they need to write you a prescription they don't have, you'll need to persuade someone to drive you to Reno to fill that prescription. (There is no longer a clinic open in Gerlach.) Take your ticket stub, your wallet (I believe it's $20 to exit/re-enter, plus whatever else you're going to need in Reno) and stop at Gate on the way so you can get a re-entry token.

What do you want for overall health? Well, only you can say for sure. I take children's chewable vitamins and other ordinary supplements, Emergen-C, Pedialyte and Gatorade for electrolytes (others swear by Vitalyte), fruit cups/100% juice/dried fruit, and V-8. And a big first-aid kit. I don't actually wear a mask (I'm more likely to pull a scarf across my lower face) so I can't make a recommendation.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby lemur » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:03 pm

i eat lotsa junk foods, salty shit....canned stuff.. one 'real' meal a day... i drink lotsa water..1 or 2 cans of coke each day... use a cheapo sawdust style dustmask/bandana sometimes (nothing special).. ..usually try to sleep before the sun comes up... usually get 6 hours sleep.... only drink booze in the final 4-5 hours of my day..

..i dress really warm at night and stay safe from the sun during the day .. with shade and proper attire.... oh and i bring a little spray bottle to mist myself and get that nice cool off feeling.

no holistic shit or healthy food or any vitamins or special shit to prepare ahead of time.

and ive never had any problems, WORKS FOR ME.

if it aint broke dont fux it..

for most ppls... its only a week, yo.

(oh.. well the main health concern i deal with out there is playa hand. i got pussy hands..and my cuticles bleed from the playa dust.. so i wear gloves whenever im working with anything dusty.. i keep my hands clean of dust when possible.. soak em in vinegar at the end of the day.. bring tons of lotion to keep em hydrated.... if my hands start-a-burnin i will spray my little spray bottle on em! that feels nice)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Lemur, you need some Liquid Bandage for your cuticles. I love that stuff. It's antiseptic skin glue. Most drugstores will have it next to the bandaids.

I still wear gloves anyway.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Savannah wrote:It's antiseptic skin glue.

I love it when you talk dirty...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Nynaeve wrote:Trying to get things prepped for the burn this year and one of my biggest concerns is my health. Last year I got tonsillitis and I am guessing its going to be DUSTY AS FUCK this year I really want to avoid getting sick. I don't have insurance to go to a doctor so i need tips, advice anything you can tell me on staying healthy out there. What vitamins do I take, how can I get antibiotics if I need them? MASKS which should I get, order, saw dust grade?? Any advice will be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

as village wisdom, one might think you'd have the answer? Ask the Wise Ones, perhaps?
Certainly, a healing, Aes Sedai?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Savannah wrote:It's antiseptic skin glue.

I love it when you talk dirty...

:lol:

It puts the skin glue on its . . . well . . . skin / Or else it gets the hose again

Savannah

Postby Nynaeve » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:36 pm

ha! that made me laugh. :D I should totally ask Aes Sedai - maybe get one to come to the burn with me and heal me daily.

as village wisdom, one might think you'd have the answer? Ask the Wise Ones, perhaps?
Certainly, a healing, Aes Sedai?[/quote]
Nynaeve

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Nynaeve wrote:...MASKS which should I get, order, saw dust grade?? ...

Typical particle size distribution of BRP soils.
Particle Size Weight Percent
Sand (>62.5um) 3.1%
Silt (15 - 62.5um) 10.4%
Silt (3 - 15um) 21.2%
Clay (<3um) 65.3%

Saw Dust 30 - 600 um
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:10 pm

Others have said it well. DEFINITELY take the time to read the Survival Guide, they reworked it pretty good for this year.

I'll guess you got tonsilitis out there as a coincidence (your tonsils were going to do it anyways), not as a direct result of diet or exposure to anything out there.

Air quality is always something to think about, see that shit floating around in the air during a dust storm? Your lung tissue doesn't like it. I just use a bandana, but you could take it a step further with the ultra inexpensive 3M N95 respirator mask. Little disposable dudes you can get at Home Despot or any other hardware store for very little money, it's what contractors use when painting or working in shops with lots of chemicals or dust in the air. And of course, drink lots of water.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Particulate filters discussed within this thread
viewtopic.php?f=279&t=54723
I can't get clear data/claims, but a number of sources are saying that the N95 filter only filters down to 5 um. The bulk of the playa dust is under 3 um.
Doctor on-playa said those with lung issues need HEPA.

That said, a lot of people do fine with bandana, or wet bandanas as the next step, and then the N95, and then bandanas over top of an N95, then a web bandana.

If you really need filtration for smaller particles, then the only one I've seen that claims that is:
Someone found and posted about RESPRO, which specifically mentions Playa Dust, sub-micron & Clay Dust for their Sportsta and Techno masks (the Techno is a Sportsta with an activated-charcoal filter).
http://www.playalung.com/products-page/masks/sportsta/
http://www.playalung.com/products-page/masks/techno
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 am

Canoe wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:...MASKS which should I get, order, saw dust grade?? ...

Typical particle size distribution of BRP soils.
Particle Size Weight Percent
Sand (>62.5um) 3.1%
Silt (15 - 62.5um) 10.4%
Silt (3 - 15um) 21.2%
Clay (<3um) 65.3%

Saw Dust 30 - 600 um

Cite?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Canoe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:30 am

Bob wrote:
Canoe wrote:Typical particle size distribution of BRP soils...

Cite?

Black Rock Playa particles:
Desert Research Institute, Black Rock Playa, Northwestern Nevada: Physical Processes and Aquatic LIfe, Kenneth D. Adams and Donald W. Sada, May 24, 1010, Page 4.
looking for the link

Saw Dust particle size:
Engineering Toolbox, Particle Sizes
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/parti ... d_934.html
Last edited by Canoe on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:32 am

Bob wrote:
Canoe wrote:Typical particle size distribution of BRP soils...

Cite?

Black Rock Playa particles:
Desert Research Institute, Black Rock Playa, Northwestern Nevada: Physical Processes and Aquatic LIfe, Kenneth D. Adams and Donald W. Sada, May 24, 1010, Page 4 of report.
http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/blac ... a-dynamics
or
http://blackrockdesert.org/friends/file ... Report.pdf

Some interesting stuff in there. Including eggs or dead parts of aquatic life that can be blowing in the dust.
Canoe

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks