How to do bright hair color for the Playa!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: How to do bright hair color for the Playa!

Postby Bexx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 pm

I've been using this stuff called Adore, for years now! It's great.. I go and bleach out my hair.. Wait a ay then dye it hot pink! Then I actually mix the dye with a half bottle of conditioner.. This helps to maintain it. Best thing about the color choice is, it fades to a super pretty pale pink! After a month.. I go and add more dye!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:02 am

just a heads up, the only thing you are doing when adding conditioner the color is making is more faint. It is a trick used in the industry to tone down the color chosen, one cause it dilutes it ad two it keeps the cuticle closed so not as much color can penetrate the hair shaft.
if you want longevity, use a good deep conditioner to lock down the cuticle.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:13 am

Do you mean use conditioner after dying, or during?
gyre

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:26 pm

after. never during or it will be lighter and will not take as well.
tattoogoddess

Postby niquitatornada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:02 pm

My personal colored hair advice:

Special Effects is great, but be very careful if you have a plastic bathtub/shower because they will get stained. Manic Panic Amplified stains less but washes out faster.

I've read that rinsing you hair in vinegar directly after dying is supposed to make the color last longer. I have yet to try, I always forget.

Buy good shampoo. No sulfates or stripping chemicals. I like Tressa. I use their Watercolors in Ultra Violet. My hair is purple so I figured that colored shampoo would work well and at the very least it might neutralize any orangey tones of the bleached hair underneath when the color fades. I love this shampoo. I went from having to redye my hair every two weeks to just once every 1.5 months. I even wash my hair (almost) every day.

My question:

I'm considering going from dark purple to blonde. I dont want to bleach my hair again since it is bleached underneath the color. How could I do this with minimal damage to my hair?
niquitatornada

Burning Since: 2013

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 am

niquitatornada wrote:My personal colored hair advice:

I've read that rinsing you hair in vinegar directly after dying is supposed to make the color last longer. I have yet to try, I always forget.

Buy good shampoo. No sulfates or stripping chemicals. I like Tressa. I use their Watercolors in Ultra Violet. My hair is purple so I figured that colored shampoo would work well and at the very least it might neutralize any orangey tones of the bleached hair underneath when the color fades. I love this shampoo. I went from having to redye my hair every two weeks to just once every 1.5 months. I even wash my hair (almost) every day.

My question:

I'm considering going from dark purple to blonde. I dont want to bleach my hair again since it is bleached underneath the color. How could I do this with minimal damage to my hair?

It could possibly work. When using the neutralizing lotion on a perm (closing down the cuticle of the hair) you are using basically hydrogen peroxide. I do not remember the percentage. but based on this-
100% hydrogen peroxide concentration is 6.2 PH
90%: 4.9
80%: 4.6
70%-50%:4.5
40%:4.6
30%:4.7
20%:4.9
10%:5.3

apple cider vinegar pH which is somewhere between 2.8 - 3.0

Now if I am thinking right. This would REALLY shut the cuticle down of the hair.... maybe im wrong on that? Hummm I think i need to do some looking into this. Im tired.

For your hair.. it deppends what brand of color have you used to make it purple and how light of hair did you have when you put the purple on? also how much out growth do you have and what has been done to it?
tattoogoddess

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:24 am

niquitatornada - believe it or not, before I started shaving my head I spent 19 years changing my hair color every few weeks. My 2 cents… Bleach isn't a layer like other hair colors, so much as it's a chemical stripping agent. The risk with bleaching your hair too much isn't that you'd have too many layers but that if your hair hasn't fully recovered (or grown out) from previous bleaching/stripping, it'll become seriously damaged and could get brittle and break. I'd suggest making a color change like that (from really dark to blonde) in advance of the trip (as opposed to the day before you leave). That way you'll have the chance for your hair to recover from bleaching/stripping before you subject it to a week in the desert.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby pink » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm

My bleached & dyed pink hair didn't last the playa. I was shocked when I got to the Sands and looked in take mirror. " what the hell color IS that?" Basically it looked playa colored. After my shower I was even more shocked; it was blonde. All the color gone in two weeks.

I need to try something else if I'm going to have colored hair this year. The last two dyes have been blue, which has lasted pretty well.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Pink is one of the hardest to keep. It is in the red family and red is the hardest to keep. Ask any hair stylist.
Did you try the ion brand?
tattoogoddess

Postby canexplain » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Tnx for the info. Mine is just a home job and now it's all faded so I need to do it again before BM. My hair used to bug all the peeps at my work :) cr****

Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Since this thread has started I have pretty much been keeping my hair colored and have used a variety of brands so just want to add some input. I have been experimenting to find colors that may hold up on the playa.

Green - I recently tried Jerome Russell spring green dye and it has worked the best out of any dye I've tried so far. After a month it is still a vivid green so I guess I would consider this a permanent dye. Will be trying some of their other colors soon. as an added benefit, they are very inexpensive.

Ion - I have stopped using them because they don't last as well as some other brands (2 weeks or so under normal conditions). On playa it faded within a few days.

Manic Panic - I get mixed results with these. Their blues never take for me. Their lizard green is an interesting color but more like chartreuse yellow than green in my hair.

Special effects - the ones I've tried have been great when I can get them, but they seem to run out of inventory for months at a time. Their purple is nice, but prone to severe fading on playa (mine turned pink and blonde within a week).

From what research I have done it seems that the various companies have both good and no so good products depending on the color so I figured it would be helpful to mention which colors from which manufacturer have worked well.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby 171/348 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

My .02 based solely on personal experience, YMMV.

Splat. I have found these to be, by far, the most long lasting colors in my hair. I've used 6 Splat colors and all of them worked brilliantly. The only one I would put any kind of a warning on is the pink... That shit NEVER comes out! It came back for 6 months after I bleached out other colors including blues and dark purples. I have their green in now and it is holding better than any other green I have used. There is some slight yellow fading after 2 weeks probably due to face washing and sweating but overall it's still quite vibrant. If you have super thick, dark hair, their bleach kit won't be enough to lighten you past yellow which will leave the color looking dull and muddy and if you have a 2½' Mohawk, well it won't even come close to doing the job.

Manic Panic doesn't last in any color. I got to the point where I was leaving it on overnight and doing it over again the next night and the color would still fade in a matter of days without washing. I have used 5 of their colors. I love the UV reactivity of the Electric Lizard (What I had in my head my first burn) but it really only looks green for a couple of days before it starts to turn yellow. It's the only MP color I will buy in the future because there's just nothing else like it.

I've tried a couple of other brands but none worth buying a second time.
On the advice of an uber pro stylist, I have a tube of Pravana green coming in the mail for the next coloring.

Ultimately, the brightness and vibrance of the color depends on the canvas it's painted on. The lighter you bleach your hair, the more intense the color will be. Colors like
Electric Lizard only show up on platinum blonde hair. Oh, and colors will wash out of gray areas before the rest of the hair even when they have also been bleached, but they tend to be more intense in the gray areas for the first few days (not that I personally know anything about that gray hair stuff... Nope, not me).
171/348

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:36 pm

Changing ones hair color reminds me of an "almost" graduate school story.

I was a well retired sixty-six years old when I went to graduate school and two of my twenty-something year old classmates (because of my 100% grey hair) wanted to dye my hair.

They were to part my hair down the middle and one was to dye one side of my head Bubble Gum and the other was to dye the other side of my head Fluorescent Green.

I could live with that suggestion.

I gave them a tentative go ahead that was dependent on how my Jack Russell would react. I purchased a similar wig, came home one weekend, and my dog would not come out from under the house as long as I was wearing the wig.

End of project.....
Meat Hunter

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Airport

Postby Savannah » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:12 pm

:lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks