help for bike tourists

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: help for bike tourists

Postby Savannah » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Canoe wrote:
lemur wrote:dont bring quality bike components to the playa.

But if you do (like the quality the 'bike tourists' would need to reliably complete their ride to the playa), what can be done to protect such while on playa? Not everyone will have a Ti frame, and then there's the components.
(I assume a full tear down, clean and regrease is required once off playa.)

These three are the most likely to have your answer. If not, bump the best one with your question.

Playa Bike Care

Bikes on the playa

Bike Chain Lube Suggestions
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Zakolantern » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:57 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:first off know that eplaya is not the same as Burning Man. here, assclowns feel safe behind their computers and often fuck around instead of being helpful. dont let it get you down too much. :)

second, ignore the naysayers, people have done this before. check out these threads from people who have done it:

i also vaguely remember seeing a guide or write up on this experience so ask around. here's a thread on Theme Camps seeking people:
good luck!

You win my prize for awesome human being on this thread -- answers like this are the reason ePlaya works. Just giving you a thank you from someone who could not imagine personally doing this, but thinks the idea is actually pretty cool if you have a supportive camp to arrive at.

My big caveat to the OP: If you have a nice touring bike, you probably will not want to ride it once you get to the Playa; too narrow of tires, too expensive an overhaul when you get home.

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:11 pm

She's gone...

Seriously...someone riding their bike across the entire United States has it easier than riding to the playa. For one thing they have an abundance of support along the way from either a dedicated support vehicle/crew, or have a greater depth of support from locals along the way. For another, they don't have to carry everything with them that's required for a week's stay on the playa.

It can be done, and has been done, but not without a lot of detailed planning, support, and coordination.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
Burning Since: 2005

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks