Useful Physical "Training" for the Playa?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Useful Physical "Training" for the Playa?

Postby Savannah » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:29 pm

True! :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Schtev » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 pm

I lost ten pounds from this exercise alone!

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Savannah wrote:True, crunches alone don't equal great abs. Having ripped abs is a combination of 1) ab exercise and 2) plentiful cardio to peel the fat off. So, you can have abs of steel but still not be able to see them, in the same way that one may have a small waist from lots of cardio and still have little definition.

Running is the fastest way to peel fat off, provided one doesn't have joint injuries or other distinct health reasons why not. One may walk/run at first and then run more and walk less. It's not fun at first, but it works. :lol:

(Weak abs can exacerbate back problems because the back is doing a disproportionate amount of work holding you upright.)

3) Also do the exercise known as "push-aways" - involves a table. ;)
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby tatonka » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 pm

ya know if a women straddles your lap when your bench pressing , your testosterone level shoots up. Thats science .
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:49 pm

I bike to work so my legs are in acceptable shape and I don't get saddle sore. However, as a lamplighter last year, I found myself really wishing I had better arm muscle endurance. Balancing a lit lantern at the end of a long, thin pole while lifting it above my head several dozen times every night was tiring!

Guess I'll be adding some extra arm pumps while carrying grocery bags between now and playa time.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Schtev » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 am

Wow. You just gave me a legitimate excuse for doing all these pushups. I remember my arms being sore as hell when I was a Lighter last year. Thanks! =p

BoyScoutGirl wrote:I bike to work so my legs are in acceptable shape and I don't get saddle sore. However, as a lamplighter last year, I found myself really wishing I had better arm muscle endurance. Balancing a lit lantern at the end of a long, thin pole while lifting it above my head several dozen times every night was tiring!

Guess I'll be adding some extra arm pumps while carrying grocery bags between now and playa time.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Postby Schtev » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:48 am

I'm skeptical. We should establish a Playa Science Center, recruit some delightfully gung ho female volunteers, and test this theory out. For science n' stuff.

tatonka wrote:ya know if a women straddles your lap when your bench pressing , your testosterone level shoots up. Thats science .
Schtev

Postby Canoe » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 am

Starting on Beefaroni to get accustomed again...
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:29 pm

Three hour conversation in the sun on hot asphalt with no sunscreen. Instant base.
No dust or loud music though...
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Schtev » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:03 pm

Canoe wrote:Three hour conversation in the sun on hot asphalt with NO SUNSCREEN

Incredibly bad advice.
Schtev

Postby Canoe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Yup, but if that's where your battery goto guy is standing and you expected to move indoors but didn't...
Canoe

Postby Schtev » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:03 pm

Speaking of bad advice, here's something I just posted in the Bad Playa Prep thread:

• Reduce calorie intake and alter macronutrient ratio accordingly to lose some weight.
  • Then after losing 15lbs or so, add in the Hundred Pushups program. Progress to the second day of week 2.
  • Then have a look at the Couch to 5k program, decide to add that in too, and run 1 1/2 miles in the dark randomly before bed to see where you're at. Trash quads. Body goes nuts. Leave work early the next day due to inexplicable anger and inability to focus. Go home. Fall into bed and crash for two hours, before the sun is even down. Wake up. Chow down on can of delicious delicious beans.

1 x overtraining
Schtev

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks