HALT

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

HALT

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:44 pm

HALT
We were talking about this at Burnal Eq. It's a substance recovery thing, but it's good to consider.
Beware of the choices you make when you are:
-Hungry
-Angry
-Lonely
-Tired

and I would add "Thirsty". :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: HALT

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:00 pm

Aw, yeah.

Remember HALT!

HUNGRY: Many people report a loss of appetite while in Black Rock City. Don't forget to eat! You don't want to be miles away from camp when you remember that you forgot to eat lunch. Some of us have found protein bars handy for instant hunger relief. Pay attention to the clock and eat regularly.

ANGRY: Remember, there are now about half a dozen meetings each day in Black Rock City, and "program people" are nearly always available if you need to talk.

LONELY: Ironically, some participants report that the one moment where virtually all 36,000 citizens come together, the night the man burns, can be the single loneliest moment of the week. Be careful not to have unrealistic expectations for this event. It is a spectacular performance by any measure, but it's rarely anyone's single favorite moment of the week. Usually, participants’ most-revered experiences are random unplanned personal encounters. We suggest that you go to the burn with people that you trust will be sober and stick close. Once the Man falls, it's very easy to become separated. Every year a group of sober people from Camp Anonymous attend the burn together. Listen for announcements at meetings towards the end of the week.

TIRED: Do not go to Burning Man expecting to ever get a full 8 hours of deep restful sleep. It's possible, but unlikely. After the sun disappears over the mountains each evening is when the real magic begins. There are only 8 nights of Burning Man a year and you'll want to get the most out of them. This means staying up as late as you can. Unfortunately, sleeping in late isn't so easy. The unforgiving sun illuminates your tent, the temperature rises, and neighbors will be noisy as they start their day (or end it). Before you go to bed each night, put on a pair of eye shades (available at most drug stores). This will trick your body into thinking it's still dark outside. Bring a couple pairs of ear plugs to muffle the thumping of distant rave parties. Finally, if you are hydrating properly, you will need to pee in the morning while it's still cold outside. Women may choose to make a funnel or a jug for this purpose; guys, designate an empty water jug. Sorry to be graphic, but a quick pee in (or near) your tent may enable you to get back to bed quickly and squeeze out a few extra hours of sleep. You'll be less likely to fall back to sleep if you have to get dressed and take a bike ride to the nearest porta-potties when it's bright and sunny but freezing cold outside.

Allow yourself to head home early if that's what your body is telling you to do. We are only human and there's only so much we can do. No matter how hard you try, you will only see a fraction of all there is to see at Burning Man. Make it an early night and you might be able to stay out later the next night.

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... sober.html
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Great stuff. I make a point to remind campmates that whatever diets they may be on in defaultia really ought to be suspended while in BRC. Out there, it's a matter of making sure your body has enough fuel. Protein and carbs. And aside from staying hydrated, you want to make sure your electralytes don't get too depleted, or your mood will suffer (so will your friends and campmates hehe). Sleep can be a tough one, but once I made peace with the idea there was no way I'd ever see it all, I don't have that nagging sense of urgency that I've got to go see/do something instead of take a nap or get some rest.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Risky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:39 pm

oh yeah!
Thanks for remembering, Dougly.

Drink more water!
Risky

Postby moonrise » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Yep, I felt that headache thing coming on once. I'd been eating snacks, but not sure they were enough? For me a can of soup and more water Halted what might have been a nasty slamming headache (or worse?!) luckily I was at my camp and had soup handy.

Most soup always seems to go straight to the blood stream. Even the canned ones work well enough for me, dinty moore beef stew, mmmm.

When I managed restaurants and a guest would arrive in a rotten mood, I'd send out complimentary soup ASAP!! 95% of the time this would fix 'em right up (and I doubt it was the freebie soup) it was lack of nutrition quckly fixed by the soup. Or for the burn, it could be other nutritious food if you don't have soup handy.

fyi, Gatorade sucks! I think it It gives me cramps. I switched to Vitalyte and/or the electrolyte tablets. Big improvement!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby jella » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 pm

Soup always makes me feel better, plus the shot of sodium is a big plus for me on playa. I drink drink drink water and pee pee pee water but once I remember to balance the sodium intake I'm golden :)

I'm with you on the Gatoraid too Moonrise, it always upsets my stomach
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 pm

I don't mind gatorade, but the volume I need to drink out there to stay in check is far more than I'd want to drink normally. By the end of the week I'm resenting it. Discovered the electrolyte tablets for last year's burn, they worked well for me.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 pm

There was Gatorade at my first volunteer shift, so I drank some every other hour for literally 12 hours. :lol: I usually do a bang-up job hydrating anyway, but I can honestly say I've never been so well-hydrated as I was that day, and it was a wonderful kickoff to the week.

Whatever electrolyte drink you can bear to consume in mass quantities will probably work, even if it's a cheapie.

I like to roam with the Pedialyte powder in my bag. Lightweight and I can offer one to someone else.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonrise » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:19 pm

"Ten Four" Jella.
Thanks for the tasty goulash you gave me, in a beer cup, haha... I drank it while driving the moonmobile that one day...mmm mmm. 8)

Yep, Trilo you turned me onto the tabs via post, gracias! I bought a boatload and use them often to help control severe lower back spasms 52 weeks of the year, and especially at Burning Man.
I also bought a case of Vitalyte, It's sitting here awaiting the 2012 burn, I think I have enough to help dozens of needy peeps (nts: bring a LOT of extra water)
fyi, Watermelon Vitalyte flavor is nasty! The Vit B gives it a bitter taste, zesty citrus is my favorite (also creates quick OJ for screwdrivers, yum)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby kittyrodriguez » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 pm

We brought NUUN tablets and dropped them in our camelbaks. I think it really helped. Plus that little bit of citrus was really pleasant. We didn't use them full strength, just popped one in each time we filled up. Every little bit of extra electrolytes helps, I'm sure.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby jella » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:38 pm

moonrise wrote:"Ten Four" Jella.
Thanks for the tasty goulash you gave me, in a beer cup, haha... I drank it while driving the moonmobile that one day...mmm mmm. 8)

It was my pleasure moonrise, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:57 pm

I fully recommend VitaLyte. My first years I drank the Costco brand of Vitamin Water and it was alright, but this last year I drank the VitaLyte a couple times a day and totally felt the difference.
My g/f and I killed a tub worth of the stuff within the week, so we'll bring two tubs this year.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby tamarakay » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Ditto on the vitalyte. We drank a glass each morning before heading out and a glass at supper. Sipped water the rest of the day and the occasional apple soda.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby moonrise » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:12 pm

I wish I could find Chocolate soda...I would like to use it in the Volcano firecocktails~ (if I can't find it in the regular grocery isles, I'll resort to using mini choclate drinks) I plan on going big with the Volcanos~ for 2012... :shock: :P :twisted: 8) Brining the hotel silver from Paris & much much more!!
If anyone in Reno/Tahoe knows where chocolate soda is sold, please PM me!
moonrise

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks