Musical instruments and US/Canada Border crossings

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Musical instruments and US/Canada Border crossings

Postby waynerd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm a Canadian and have been invited to possibly do some drumming with a band in a theme camp. I'm trying to find out what conditions I can bring a drum kit down. What hassles I may encounter etc. I know working musicians with paying gigs have to have a bunch of paperwork, P-2s, a gear manifest etc to travel and "work" in the US clubs venues etc but BM is different.

I don't plan on bringing my professional custom kit down due to the weather challenges and dust but most likely will find a cheap "beater" (pardon the pun) that I can hopefully donate or gift to someone (perhaps a parent with kids/aspiring drummer) after the week is over.

So just wondering if anyone knows what, if any paperwork/receipts etc are needed to bring down a cheap kit?

(I searched the forums but not much came up)
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Re: Musical instruments and US/Canada Border crossings

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:08 pm

You mean vis a vis TSA or BMOrg?
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1235.shtm
They're supposed to lighten up regarding musical instruments. I think you'll be okay.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby phil » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:58 pm

phil

Postby waynerd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks a lot guys,
I did previously read the TSA page but that didn't tell me too much as it's more for a person flying with one instrument. Because it's technically a personal item and not something that that is transported as part of a sale I'm not sure if the ebay type guidelines are relevant or even if there's a difference. I'll keep looking, just thought I'd ask here in case someone has gone through it already.
waynerd

Postby phil » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 pm

The eBay page has the list of dollar values for what can be brought into the US untaxed -- even if you're bringing it in as a gift. The Customs page has the forms you may need to cross the border with gifts or other goods having some value.
phil

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Here's my experience travelling into Canada. I doubt it's much different going the reverse. And, keep in mind, this was in 1991, before NAFTA. We were driving into Canada, towards Vancouver, when stopped and searched at the border crossing. We explained that we were just going in to play 1 show, then leave. Because we were going to be payed, we were told we needed work permits...and promptly kicked out. A few miles East, at a truck crossing, we explained that we were going up to record...and were paying the "studio." We were let in, no problem! No mention was made of all our gear. Although, now, I'm sure they would have removed every screen on the cabinets and gone through everything.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby The CO » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 am

Are you driving or flying?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby waynerd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 am

The CO wrote:Are you driving or flying?

I'm driving down, considering bringing a whole (cheap, used) drum kit. Because of space limitations in my SUV another option I have is transporting it down with others from the camp who are driving down in an RV. The last thing I want is them (or me) to get hassled at the border over a cheap drum kit.

I simply want to bring and use something that I own across the border for a non-paying "jam" type situation. No money will be exchanging hands for either the kit or the performances.

For working bands and sales of musical gear/shipping across the border things are obviously different and documented. What I can't find much info on is my upcoming situation. If it's too much hassle I'll just nix playing at my first BM altogether as it's not THAT important to me this year.
waynerd

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 am

I think if you just tell them that, and that your going to Burning Man, there should be no problem.

or, for added reassurance, call a border check point
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) telephone numbers for customer service:

Local: 202-354-1000
TomServo

Postby waynerd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 am

TomServo wrote:I think if you just tell them that, and that your going to Burning Man, there should be no problem.

or, for added reassurance, call a border check point

Yeah, I'm definitely going to call them and inquire before I make any decisions. Was just wondering if anyone else had done it before for BM and how it went. :)
waynerd

Postby TomServo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 am

if you were travelling with...say... RUSH, the border crossing would be much smoother.....believe it or not. The border guard explained to us, that groups with a certain number of roadies were exempt from work permits.....but that 4 kids from Oakland needed one.
TomServo

Postby waynerd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 am

TomServo wrote:if you were travelling with...say... RUSH, the border crossing would be much smoother.....believe it or not. The border guard explained to us, that groups with a certain number of roadies were exempt from work permits.....but that 4 kids from Oakland needed one.

Tom I've heard many stories as well, an most always involved the small indie bands that a) didn't have their shit together to get the paperwork in order b) Tried bringing half a trailer of undeclared merch with them, c) didn't know "so and so" had a criminal record and on and on. That's why I may be overly freaked out about the prospect of leaving here Thursday night for BM, and then leaving again Friday morning because I had to come back to dump off the aforementioned drum kit before they'd let me cross. We'll see.
waynerd

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:57 pm

If you were crossing over with bagpipes they'd probably help you cross the border.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Canoe » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 am

Make sure you have a photo of the equipment obviously taken in Canada. Print it out. As you leave Canada, stop at BSA and get a declaration that you're taking the equipment you own out of the country. It's a little paper card listing the equipment. Serial numbers are ideal, but not required. This way you won't pay tax on it when you return to Canada.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby waynerd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Canoe wrote:Make sure you have a photo of the equipment obviously taken in Canada. Print it out. As you leave Canada, stop at BSA and get a declaration that you're taking the equipment you own out of the country. It's a little paper card listing the equipment. Serial numbers are ideal, but not required. This way you won't pay tax on it when you return to Canada.

Thanks Canoe, That makes a lot of sense.
waynerd

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks