the cheapest way

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

the cheapest way

Postby bendiwan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 pm

these days me and another 2 friends are looking in to the cheapest way to get to BM.
were flying in from israel and we cant bring to much equipment from home that means we have to buy everything in the states
and also getting stuck with it when BM finishes and having nothing to do with it.

now we have two options.
the first one is an RV rent from vegas for 1500$, and that means less equipment buying and much more comfertable and much more space.

and the second option is renting a car in reno or vegas for 850$ but also buying all the equipment just for BM and finding a way to get rid of it at the end.

what do you suggest?

thank you :)
bendiwan

Re: the cheapest way

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 pm

I suggest you figure out how much comfort is worth to you.
850 seems like an awful lot for a car, and 1500 is pretty good for an rv. You could spend 650 on stuff, especially if you go into a panic mode. Taht would include tent, sleeping bags, food, cots, bikes, I don't know what all. If you want to give your stuff away, maybe you should figure out to whom before you go--whether that's thrift stores or fellow burners.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Urban » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 pm

You could buy your stuff on ebay, or inexpensive camp websites, tent, bags, water bottles, camp stove , tarp, rope whatever you can't carry, and have it dropped shipped to someplace nearby or with someone who will bring it to BM. rent the little car, set up camp. drop it off at goodwill on the way home.

With 6 months to ship, there no cheap shipping options.? You could also spend a day running around to Used shops where you land and pull together a camp. You are going to have to buy food and water anyway.

PM me, depending on what you need, I may have some extra to gift you as long as you don't just leave it there and make sure it get to a goodwill type drop off.
Urban

Postby voiceinthedarkness » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Search e-playa for Rat's Bikes. He has a small pool of bikes for rent - pick up and drop off in Reno, if memory serves me correctly. You should be able to e-mail or PM him through e-playa. He was also featured in a previous issue of Jack Rabbit Speaks. Consider subscribing if you haven't done so.
voiceinthedarkness

Postby phil » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Twin Cities Surpluse (http://www.twincitysurplus.com/) used to have a program for people flying in -- you arrange with them via email to put everything you need in a big pile, then when you get in, you load it up, and go to the Playa. They will not buy it back, however. Email them and see if they still do this service for fliers in.

If you're going to be buying stuff in Reno, drop by Louise's pages at
http://civilizedexplorer.pbworks.com/w/page/15934810/CivExReno
and browse there. She has lists of stores by type, stores by freeway exit, and where to recycle and dispose of garbage, among other things.

As to whether to rent a camper or a car, it's a judgment call. You'll need to clean up whatever you rent, and apparently many places don't like to rent to people going to Burning Man because the rental can never be properly cleaned. Check Louise's pages on rentals, as she links to some Burner-friendly places; there may be a premium for clean ups, though, so read the terms carefully.

It seems to me you'll spend less and have less disposable junk if you rent an RV. However, you need to watch those extra fees that BM may involve.
phil

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:35 pm

Here's a partial list of Reno bikes, shops, and the address of the Salvation Army (a thrift store at which one could give away things).
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... ntown.html

Bikes only, and Bike Repair:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/t ... Bikes.html

Calling ahead is smart, when you can. However, please note that all of Reno is eager to sell you supplies and shopping should not be difficult if you write a really good list, and are certain to bring with you certain things you shouldn't leave until the last minute (basic clothes, shoes that are broken in, a coat, goggles that fit, prescriptions, etc).

On the way out of the event, you may gift unopened, non-perishable food and certain supplies to the Department of Public Works (DPW). DPW builds the city before you get there, and dismantles it after you leave. You can see the donation spot off to the side of the road when you're still on the playa, on your way out of the event, and recognize them by the huge stacks of food people are leaving for them. (DPW does not usually take water; apparently for safety reasons.) Anything they don't want--if you can't take it on the plane--could be shipped home (if very valuable or sentimental) or donated to the Salvation Army/other thrift stores in Reno.
*** 2015 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Savannah wrote:...or donated to the Salvation Army/other thrift stores in Reno.

Don't donate things that are really trashed. Pay to take them to a dump, rather than making your problem someone else's and solved at someone else's expense.

Just a mark of basic respect.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:23 pm

But of course. :shock:

WHERE DO I TAKE MY TRASH, RECYCLING & GREY WATER?
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... html#trash

Savannah

Postby Token » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Cheapest way:

Wide brim hat - One of.
Small ice chest with spigot- One of.
One Gallon Water Bottle - One of.
4 season sleeping bag - One of.
MRE rations - two per day.
Sunscreen - One bottle of.
Goggles - One of.
Bandana - Several
$40 for ice.
$60 for gas money, miscellaneous stuff.

Everything else is luxury and optional.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:02 pm

In the past the Green Tortoise has run a bus from SF to its Burningman camp. It's a great way to go your first year. There have been camps in the past that have specifically recruited international burners, but no one knows how camps will shake out this year. A bike is nice to have, but not essential, you will have more interaction on foot. If you are planning on driving around the rest of the West, a couple of tents and fuel efficient car is just fine. Many internationals fly into Reno and connect with local shopping and rides from the airport.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:11 pm

True, Green Tortoise Adventure Travel provides food, water & transport from SF (while the traveler supplies their own tent and small supplies). I believe they also provide shade because there is no room for it in the luggage allowance, but that's a question worth asking. On the downside, their trips are all either 5 days or 3 days, instead of the full 7 day experience, but still--it meets a need. There were years I should have done it.

On the way back it looks like Green Tortoise can do drop-offs in Reno/Sparks and Dixon, which might be worth knowing.

(The info on their site says people can buy tickets through them, but this is almost certainly outdated info from pre-July 2011.)

Savannah

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks