What music will you bring to BM 2012?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

What music will you bring to BM 2012?

Postby junglebrad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 pm

I thought I'd start a thread on what music you will bring to this years event. It could be a good way to discover new things!

As for me:

Shpongle (my absolute most favorite band in the world)
Amon Tobin
old school jungle
loads of psychill
Some IDM
The doors
The Rolling Stones

If you're not familiar with Amon Tobin;

How about you?
...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Re: What music will you bring to BM 2012?

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 pm

I don't give a fuck about my own music. That's what I listen to the other 51 weeks. I'm too busy having a blast with a dusty shit eating grin on my face shuffling from party to party to adventure to mind blowing-ness and whatever music happens to be penetrating my ears while I'm doing that, then dadgummit that's the music I'm listening to.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 pm

im bringing earplugs.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I don't give a fuck about my own music. That's what I listen to the other 51 weeks. I'm too busy having a blast with a dusty shit eating grin on my face shuffling from party to party to adventure to mind blowing-ness and whatever music happens to be penetrating my ears while I'm doing that, then dadgummit that's the music I'm listening to.

+100

I brought music once, never again.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglebrad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I don't give a fuck about my own music. That's what I listen to the other 51 weeks. I'm too busy having a blast with a dusty shit eating grin on my face shuffling from party to party to adventure to mind blowing-ness and whatever music happens to be penetrating my ears while I'm doing that, then dadgummit that's the music I'm listening to.

True, but if no one brought or performed any music, there wouldn't be any. :o
...all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves...

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:42 pm

True.. but fortunately that's not the case. You can stand in any one spot in the city streets and here 5 different music sources at one time.

One question: Have you actually been to TTITD before?

Just wondering. Not trying to be a jerk. :)
junglesmacks

Postby CornMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:44 pm

We usually just keep it dialed to BMIR on the radio. Some people bring iPods for scaryoke.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby TT120 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:45 pm

I'm not bringing any of my own. I'm hoping everyone else will bring theirs and I'll listen to that.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby junglebrad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:50 pm

junglesmacks wrote:True.. but fortunately that's not the case. You can stand in any one spot in the city streets and here 5 different music sources at one time.

No, this will be our first. We've been to regionals though, although I'm sure they don't compare.

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby junglebrad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52 pm

TT120 wrote:I'm not bringing any of my own. I'm hoping everyone else will bring theirs and I'll listen to that.

Well I guess I'm just wondering what everyone else is bringing and what their tastes are (so I can avoid camping near the happy hardcore).

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:00 pm

junglebrad wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:True.. but fortunately that's not the case. You can stand in any one spot in the city streets and here 5 different music sources at one time.

No, this will be our first. We've been to regionals though, although I'm sure they don't compare.

Ahhh haaaa :). I had that feeling.

Honestly.. TTITD is one big giant soundsystem.. hence why honestly you may be more interested in earplug brand recommendations rather than music suggestions. We're not kidding.
junglesmacks

Postby junglebrad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
junglebrad wrote:

Ahhh haaaa :). I had that feeling.

Honestly.. TTITD is one big giant soundsystem.. hence why honestly you may be more interested in earplug brand recommendations rather than music suggestions. We're not kidding.

Thanks for the tip. Nice handle by the way!

~Bill Hicks
junglebrad

Postby forty_eight » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 pm

bmir et al ... and noaa/nws, cause that's how i roll, lol.

plus an ipod or two with a 3AAA speaker for the 'home bar'

i've been listening to more 'dance' music, lately. my wife even called me out. haha

i don't suspect i'll play any of that there myself
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Milayna » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:03 pm

Junglesmacks, bc of your avatar I totally envision you as a purple fur-clad Neil Patrick Harris clone....who likes to dance frantically from camp to camp....
Milayna

Burning Since: 2012

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Milayna wrote:Junglesmacks, bc of your avatar I totally envision you as a purple fur-clad Neil Patrick Harris clone....who likes to dance frantically from camp to camp....

Substitute the purple fur for LEDs and you're not far off..

..except for the NPH part. I'm more.. Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing meets the Telly Savalas Kojak.
junglesmacks

Postby wh..sh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:46 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Milayna wrote:Junglesmacks, bc of your avatar I totally envision you as a purple fur-clad Neil Patrick Harris clone....who likes to dance frantically from camp to camp....

..except for the NPH part. I'm more.. Johnny Depp in Fear and Loathing meets the Telly Savalas Kojak.

**chuckles**
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 pm

wh..sh wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

**chuckles**

Shoosh!! You know too much!!
junglesmacks

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:55 pm

junglebrad wrote:
TT120 wrote:I'm not bringing any of my own. I'm hoping everyone else will bring theirs and I'll listen to that.

Well I guess I'm just wondering what everyone else is bringing and what their tastes are (so I can avoid camping near the happy hardcore).

did someone say HAPPY HARDCORE?

i'm like the kool-aid guy for ElectRitalinonica
fuck you, it's magic

"i manifest that shit, yo.....Thug Burner for Life"

Less Hanky, More Panky™

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 am

junglesmacks wrote:

hey, for all I know this could be JS on any given day

In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:18 am

That does look strikingly similar to last Thursday..
junglesmacks

Postby percussivepaul » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 am

The most important music is for the road trip. Exciting pumped up music for the way in, and beautiful soul-replenishing emotional stuff for the way out. The latter I find especially key. In each of the last two years on the waning hours of burn night (i.e. near the end of the event), I've had chance encounters with some of my favourite music: Paul Simon's Graceland, and the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou. Likewise when I heard an art car play Bjork's All You Need Is Love right after the temple burn. After being so mentally, physically, and emotionally depleted, and after 168 hours of being blasted with a soundscape that kind of feels like listening to ten radio stations at the same time, I can't tell you how badly I needed nourishment of this type, nor did I really understand it myself until the sounds washed over me and reduced me to a quivering puddle of happiness.

Words, by the way. You will miss music with words, more than you know.
percussivepaul

Postby kittyrodriguez » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

One word...

DUB

STEP

:twisted:

Not really
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 am

Question: Why is everybody here (as in on eplaya) - from what I've seen - against dubstep? Yes it's electronic music, but still music.
Personally, I like rocking out to Skrillex every now and again. It gets me pumped up and makes me happy!
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby kittyrodriguez » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 am

Oh, no. I love dubstep.

But there is definitely no need to bring any to BM.

That would be like saying, I am bringing some dust with me this year, in case there isn't any there.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:23 am

kittyrodriguez wrote:Oh, no. I love dubstep.

But there is definitely no need to bring any to BM.

That would be like saying, I am bringing some dust with me this year, in case there isn't any there.

*chuckle* :D

okay, good point.
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby 5280MeV » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 am

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:Question: Why is everybody here (as in on eplaya) - from what I've seen - against dubstep? Yes it's electronic music, but still music.
Personally, I like rocking out to Skrillex every now and again. It gets me pumped up and makes me happy!

My Take:

1) It is played LOUD. Not outrageously load like all the good old house and techno that we grew up with back on the farm, not even loud in the sense of sanding against the speaker and soaking up bass. This stuff is played LOUD.

2) It isn't good old 120+ BPM dance music, like all other fads and subgenres of what one typically calls "electronic dance music" (EDM). Technically it is at 140 beats per minute, but there is a half-step so that it really feels like 70 BPM unless you absolutely want to interpret it as 140 BPM. As a result, it feels like dancing to a very wobbly kind of hip-hop, which isn't necessarily bad if you like to dance to a hip-hop beat.

3) I believe that any form of EDM that gets too popular, or actually any form of dance music, that gets too popular in the US will experience a cultural push-back in the form of a "disco sucks" movement, like the actual "disco sucks" movement that came after disco was all the rage. I think that dubstep is popular enough to experience some of this effect.

Personally, I like a little bit of dubstep (American or UK sound) so long as it is sparingly and creatively sprinkled into a set in one place or another - it gives it some spice. If I am dancing, too much of it screws up the feel for me - I simply don't prefer dancing at hip-hop speeds.

It is also strange to me how giant an umbrella term dubstep has become. If I didn't know the phrase, it would no occur to me in a million years to lump James Blake and Skrillex in the same category.

I did enjoy the track "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" as something to rock out to in the car, but that goes along with things to me like Front Line Assembly, Front 242, or Skinny Puppy. Really I think of Skrillex as dubstep influenced industrial music.

James Blake to me would be closer to something like Boards of Canada, and would make sense as dubstep influenced Warp records fare.

In any case, I think that this is a very strange time for EDM, one that I don't quite understand.
5280MeV

Postby LittleJack » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Um, for something completely different...

I'll be bringing my mandolin banjo (banjo headed mandolin), or as I like to call it, my manjo. With the sound sensitive EL-Wire in the resonator. English, Morris Dance tunes, some Irish, some Old Time, and maybe even the occasional waltz or two.
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby darcitananda » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

I just bring whatever podcasts are on my iphone (usually something house-y). Great for the road trip and last year the nice folks at Arctica borrowed my iphone for a few hours of Dance Department (Dutch podcast) to keep things cheerful there.
darcitananda

Postby jcliff » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Old school disco and funk. Isley Brothers, Gap Band, James Brown, Sly and the Family Stone, S.O.S. Band. Can I get a hell yea?!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby hotmess » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:00 pm

48_love wrote:Image

I just got this radio as a gift from WNYC for supporting the radio station!!!! Was planning on using it this year as my last 2 radios have died.

BMIR is the best source of news on the playa. Weather updates, party suggestions and great tunes. There is also 89.9 (radio elektra) which i listen to as well.

I myself put together a playlist throughout the year of music I I know I want to listen to out on the playa and fill up an ipod. Mostly obscure stuff and tunes that you probably wont be hearing at the big BIG parties. But it is music that I LOVE!
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks