Anyone have experience with zigbee/xbee systems?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Anyone have experience with zigbee/xbee systems?

Postby random_vamp » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:11 pm

I'm currently investigating putting together a remote control console for a project we're building this year. The console and the project itself are going to be arduino controlled and my first desire would be to use XBee modules to communicate between the console and the project controller, as the console needs to be roughly 100ft from the project itself and would preferably be mobile. A team member had expressed concerns that there may be a lot of interference from random other sources on the playa, does anyone have experience using these wireless modules in the desert?
random_vamp

Re: Anyone have experience with zigbee/xbee systems?

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:02 pm

dont forget this:

RC Hobbyists

If you are planning to bring any sort of radio controlled model, vehicle, or art installation to BRC this year, please contact rchobbyist (at) burningman (dot) com with the radio frequency and channel number under which you will be operating. Radio channel conflicts must be avoided to prevent loss of control of an RC project. An out of control model/vehicle/art piece can cause serious damage to people or property, so it is important that RC’ers help us organize regarding radio use. If you have an RC art piece, please inform the Art Team, art (at) burningman (dot) com, or contact a team member at the Artery in Center Camp.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Zigbee in the ISM (free unregulated) 915MHz and 2.4GHz bands is designed to tolerate interference. It has a ridiculously low symbol rate which resists interference from like power devices.

Register though, as Mr Lemur suggests. Most people at BM on those bands will not register or even know they are transmitting. But you might have an opportunity to network with other radio artists and engineers by registering.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby dcc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:05 pm

I've designed several industrial systems using a variation of zigbee. If you share more details with me on your application, then I'll be glad to give advice and help you through the technical terminology. The beauty of these low power systems is that if you select the correct system, then you will not cause interference to the systems of others as well as endure their sources of interference while getting the range you need for a reliable control. You will also want to plan for worst case scenario - for safety sake - if you do lose wireless control due to interference, catastrophic destruction of the components, battery failure, or device failure that the system shuts down safely. PM if you wish to discuss.
dcc

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 am

NM.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:41 am

junglesmacks wrote:NM.

EDIT: (I was going to suggest a more robust module such as the RN-171 as we've been having all kinds of fun with it and the arduino, but for your application being a straight RF point-to-point you're obviously fine.)

EDIT 2: Damn double post monster.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks