Nightmares?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Nightmares?

Postby Mr. Googles » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:23 am

Well, not exactly nightmares, but they might as well be..

I've gone to burning man for the last 2 years. Each year, I feel a little bit more prepared, and I'm able to add on to the arsenal of survival/fun gear, and clothing. My first year, I was already traveling in a fully loaded car across america. This past year, I was able to dedicate the car specifically to the burn, and I think I did good, considering how small of a car I own, and that I'm for the most part solo. I buy what I can afford, and it gets a little easier every year.

However, I have occasional survival "nightmares" with me back at Burning Man. Tonight, I just had a nightmare that I showed up in street clothes, and I forgot some very important things. I've always been able to dress up for burning man, but supplies are very limited in the small town that I live. Though, I think if there is one area of my gear that is "lacking", it would have to be clothing/costumes. I take this dream as my subconscious slapping me in the face, and telling me to start sewing my costume for next year! :-) The hardest part is budgeting.. It's easier for me to be frugal 90% of the year, and spend money right before the festivities, than spend money each month. I think I know what I need to do though..

I'm just curious if anyone else has nightmares similar to this when you're not on the playa!
Mr. Googles

Re: Nightmares?

Postby delle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 am

Just a few days ago I had one where I'd gone off to visit some friends across the city - without my bike, which hadn't yet even been unloaded.

The nightmare part kicked in when I realized I was still there on Wednesday. Almost half the week had passed and I hadn't seen or done anything but hung out inside their enclosed camp. The gravity of this realization got punched up a thousand notches when I started picturing my husband - back at our camp wondering where I was... I'd blown the burn for both of us.

The whole rest of the dream was me trying to get back to camp and being distracted every step of the way.

It gives me the shivers still.
Worry is a misuse of imagination
delle

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:09 am

Somewhere buried on the board, a couple somewheres in fact, are threads about Burning Man dreams. Mine involve not seeing the art.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:55 am

This year I packed so efficient that I was actually a bit underweight with my luggage. Imagine my surprise when I realised I forgot to pack my short cargo pants. I had long ones for night time, but the shorts were nowhere to be found. I ended up using a pair of zip-off pants for the week.
I have had nightmares in which I get to the playa and I forgot to bring my luggage altogether.
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:42 am

No different that those taking the final exam without studying or not wearing any clothes nightmares.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:45 am

Since the year I forgot to pack ALL my clothes; I don't worry about anything like that anymore. It didn't spoil my burn one bit after the initial shock wore off.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby forty_eight » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:14 am

It's funny since I have never actually been to Burning Man, but last week I had a dream that I was walking into (what I imagined to be) Center Camp looking up and around at the tarps of the shade area (a major obession of late) thinking "so, what sucks SOOOO much about this place?"

Could be anxiety about experiencing it all without undue influece or prejudice ... so, maybe it's time to stop reading so much ePlaya! Haha
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 pm

jkisha wrote:Since the year I forgot to pack ALL my clothes; I don't worry about anything like that anymore. It didn't spoil my burn one bit after the initial shock wore off.

A good excuse to wear less clothes?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:02 pm

I have nightmares about forgetting important stuff... My passport, ticket, somehow being in BRC and forgetting everything (including my car), no clothes, no gear, missing all my volunteer shifts.

I have forgotten pants (once), the year it rained on opening day. It was cool, but survivable, its not like it dropped to -40F or anything :)

It seems that the more I worry about being prepared, the worse the dreams are.

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Playa dreams and nightmares are pretty normal, I think. What you might want to do is complicate your frugality. Manage your money carefully, but plan it so that you "release" an amount sometime in the spring. That way, sometime early enough in the game that you have time to make some cool playawear, you have enough to buy the materials.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elderberry » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:36 pm

BBadger wrote:
jkisha wrote:Since the year I forgot to pack ALL my clothes; I don't worry about anything like that anymore. It didn't spoil my burn one bit after the initial shock wore off.

A good excuse to wear less clothes?

...and to go around and scavenge up a whole new wardrobe!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:01 pm

This isn't a nightmare, it actually happened: Probably around 2003 or so, and a burner who'd gone with us since 1999 was the last one to be picked up. We got to his house, said "Time to get to BRC!" and he starts wandering around in a hellacious hangover, grabing clothes here, goggles there. When we asked what the hell he was doing, he said "Packing." He hadn't even begun to get ready! When we take off we ask him for a Gatorade, and he looks at us with the deer-in-the-headlights look and says, "Uh, I forgot it. Still on the porch." Of course by that time we were in Truckee and it was way too late to turn back. Talk about your nightmares.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby teardropper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:34 am

Mr. Googles wrote:It's easier for me to be frugal 90% of the year, and spend money right before the festivities, than spend money each month

I don't have that much money. Or I get too much stuff. I buy all year, a little here, a little there, reducing my pain in July and August. I give away a lot of alcohol and try to stock up, but end up drinking it. I still comes down to a bunch of shit I MUST have at the end, like more alcohol and mixers, but it's not as bad.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Drawingablank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:36 pm

For about a month after the burn whenever I dozed off with a tv on in the room I had a dream that it is playing a show about Burning Man and I'm missing it so I woke up - only to be dissappointed that it is something unrelated to BM.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Around the time of the Burnal Equinox every year, I start having these dreams where they've moved BRC to some county fairgrounds with grass and trees and fences and shit next to a huge flea market... and they have guards at the gates, except I leave to get something out of my car (which is parked on the street - never mind it's a car!) and I can't get back in... when I finally do, the event, and all our village, and all my stuff, is gone. So I start wandering this flea market thing looking for some staffer to ask WTF, but they're not there either, and the flea market is packing up. So I go to leave, but the fence is around the flea market... and when I finally escape that, the street where my car was is gone, too...

This has gone on for about 5 years now... slight variations, but it's always the same basics.

So... what does it all mean?
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:51 pm

My best guess Sue, and we've known one another for a long time, is that it means you should wander over to Barbie Death Camp and pour me a glass of absinthe.
Dr. Pyro

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm

You know... You and Absinthe DO show up in these dreams with uncanny frequency... Maybe I outta being 2 glasses and a full bottle...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:25 am

No maybes about it.
Dr. Pyro

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:40 am

I had that same dream again last night - but this time when I woke up it really was a show about Burning man - the American Dad episode called Francine's Flashback.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Canoe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 pm

delle wrote:... I'd gone off to visit some friends across the city ... I realized I was still there on Wednesday. Almost half the week had passed and I hadn't seen or done anything but hung out inside their enclosed camp. The gravity of this realization got punched up a thousand notches when I started picturing my husband - back at our camp wondering where I was...

I've heard a few variations on this, only they weren't dreams they were telling.

My BRC nightmare is the aliens decide to land their UFO in the middle of the playa to take a look around and meet humans. The nightmare part kicks in as they don't select me to be their go-between. :)
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby jcliff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Around the time of the Burnal Equinox every year, I start having these dreams where they've moved BRC to some county fairgrounds with grass and trees and fences and shit next to a huge flea market... and they have guards at the gates, except I leave to get something out of my car (which is parked on the street - never mind it's a car!) and I can't get back in... when I finally do, the event, and all our village, and all my stuff, is gone. So I start wandering this flea market thing looking for some staffer to ask WTF, but they're not there either, and the flea market is packing up. So I go to leave, but the fence is around the flea market... and when I finally escape that, the street where my car was is gone, too...

This has gone on for about 5 years now... slight variations, but it's always the same basics.

So... what does it all mean?

Funny that you should share this because I recently had a similar dream. I dremnt that I was at Burning Man, but it was on par with the cheap-ass sketchy carnival that pulls into my Corn Country town once a year. It was all rickety carny rides and people hawking games and selling fried dough and such. On top of that it was dark, cold and drizzling. On top of THAT, my face was all swollen like I had been stung by a horde of bees. The whole thing was very depressing and certainly qualifies as a playa nightmare. I dream about the playa all the time, this is the first nightmare that I can remember.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:02 pm

I had a mildly bad dream that I forgot to bring water to the Burn, but the idea was so outlandish that even my wildly gullible dream-brain knew it wasn't really happening.

When you're a multi-year burner and you don't hear the pleasant slosh of water in your vehicle, its absence is too noticeable to be overlooked. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:29 am

Dont worry about forgetting something. Some fawkin hippie / social experiment fucker showed up nekkid one year. He made out alright, people gave him clothes, water, all sorts of shit. That fuck prolly got more cool shit than people that came properly prepared. But hey he called it an experiment in gifting so its all good.

Only nightmares I have are of some drunk fuck coming into my tent, sleeping next to me than puking on me and waking me up. The other one is getting run down in my tent by one of drunk segway schmucks.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 am

Work has taken a turn on me, which landed me in a place where last night I woke up every few hours from anxiety dreams.
Nipple

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:41 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:
Only nightmares I have are of some drunk fuck coming into my tent, sleeping next to me than puking on me and waking me up.

Welcome to my world.
Dr. Pyro

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:
Only nightmares I have are of some drunk fuck coming into my tent, sleeping next to me than puking on me and waking me up.

Welcome to my world.

I thought in your camp that sorta thing actually happens. <drink>
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby gaminwench » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:25 am

Ummm, Doc... tent?
nightmare, indeed!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:28 am

gaminwench wrote:Ummm, Doc... tent?
nightmare, indeed!!

Is he referring to his pants?

Oh. Wait a minute. Nevermind.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:44 am

What's the difference between a nightmare and a really weird dream?
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:48 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:What's the difference between a nightmare and a really weird dream?

yer underwear
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks