Costs of BM?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Costs of BM?

Postby sea.kisses » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:09 am

How much have you said for all the necessary supplies? I would love to go to my first BM this year or next year depending on approximate costs.
sea.kisses

Re: Costs of BM?

Postby essjay » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:19 am

sea.kisses wrote:How much have you said for all the necessary supplies? I would love to go to my first BM this year or next year depending on approximate costs.

Tough question to even guess at without knowing details surrounding your potential expenses. Tent/RV/Other? Are you travelling from San Francisco or from England? Do you already own most of your camping gear?

I don't know, price of ticket plus a minimum of $1,000?
essjay

Postby lemur » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 am

burning man is way too expensive.. dont go
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:33 am

This is answered in great detail on this thread: http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=52002
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby sea.kisses » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:15 am

essjay wrote:
sea.kisses wrote:How much have you said for all the necessary supplies? I would love to go to my first BM this year or next year depending on approximate costs.

Tough question to even guess at without knowing details surrounding your potential expenses. Tent/RV/Other? Are you travelling from San Francisco or from England? Do you already own most of your camping gear?

Washington. I'd drive and use a tent. My friend said expect to spend $2k
sea.kisses

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:30 am

The money put in is a difficult question. You could probably do it for ticket plus $500. Maybe that's not counting food, cause you gotta feed yourself anyway or gas, because it doesn't seem like a direct cost.
The people on this board, tend to be the people who are doing Burningman in a medium to big way. Running a bar or a camp, building big art, doing heavy gifting, building MVs. But eating chef boyardee and siting your camp in walk in or the outer roads is a different thing. So the expenses are:
Food
Water/drink
Gas, round trip (We'll throw in plane ticket and rental car here)
Gifting
Clothing/Costume
Camping gear and shade structure
Etc.

I'm sure there's more, but that's the basics. Figure out what you are going to spend on each of these, according to distance, comfort level, needs, is probably the best way to figure out what you'll have to budget.
I don't knwo if that clarifies things, but it might help.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:40 am

If you search ePlaya for "packing list" (also what's in your backpack is good) you can start making your own list. Then you can see what you have, what you can borrow and what you will buy. A good car can easily become trashed, so if renting a car, that can be an expense, just splitting fuel can be $100. Bike rack and bike? Already have all of your camping gear, that can save. Costumes? Shade structure? If it's your first year, finding a camp can lighten the list, but some have dues. (Some have a shower, definitely an improvement in quality of life, but by no means necessary) I've shifted my food to mainly healthy snacks, but food and drink can add up. So $1000 or more, including the ticket, about what a vacation for the same time outside the US would be.

But it will be a great experience and it's never too early to connect with BM veterans in your town and their regional events.

Seattle to BM is about 700 miles each way. So there is food and possibly camping, for instance, at Summer Lake, along the way.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:34 pm

sea kisses, definitely link to the thread Drawingablank gives you above.

I am a thrifty miss, and my cheapest (virgin) Burn was almost exactly $1,000 -- ridesharing 700 miles each way, including event ticket. (I borrowed a tent & shared a shade that someone else owned.) I roughed it, although--having a good attitude, no expectations, and some past camping experience--I had a fine time.

These days I spend about $2,000, because I often go halvsies on a rented vehicle, have fun costumes, etc. I actually expect to spend a few hundred less next year because I own a lot of equipment by now and don't have any big purchases planned, like a really solid shade structure ($400; 2010) or a "weatherproof" camera ($300; 2011). Though who am I kidding? . . . This just means I will make up the difference with costumes. :)

If you have relatives who buy you gifts around the holidays, put camping items on an online Wish List, or--if there is anyone who always gives you gift cards--ask them for Amazon cards, or something else similarly helpful and broadly useful.

Borrow where you can. Nothing precious. But a camping chair, card table, tv tray (for a cot-side table), cutlery set, someone's third-best tent? Something you could replace if it's lost or hurt? Might be worth a gamble.

It's better to Own when you can, so . . . something else friends and family are often happy to do: sell you their old equipment on the cheap. Lots of folks have a camping cot lying around that they'll never use. Post on Facebook (or whatever) that you will pay $20 for a camping cot that works, and see what happens. Note: You can get a new one for twice that at Walmart, or for $50-100 at REI.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gaminwench » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:01 pm

+ 1,000
LIKE!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby essjay » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:15 pm

sea.kisses wrote:
essjay wrote:

Given a drive from Washington and gas prices, I'd say that $1500-$2000 is a fair estimate of your minimum end.

Like others said, if you are tenting and with a camp that has shade, you can get lots of used stuff easily to keep your equipment costs down. Your main costs would be gas/food/water/booze/etc. Then costumes, more camp items, more, more, and more.

For a lot of us, this is our main vacation of the year and people bring out insane amounts of stuff. The more you can turn your "campsite" into a vacation cabin on TwilightZoneMars, the better. One of the best things about your first year is the utter amazement about what, and how much, makes it out to the playa.
essjay

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:24 pm

Some unexpected surprise money drains:

* campsite fees / motel fees (you'll think you're going to drive straight through, 'cause you've got 2 drivers, but ... whoops! Your second driver turns out not to be able to sleep while you drive/sleep through the radio you turn out to need to stay alert/or you need their company to drive at your best. Or, you start to realize that you're not due to arrive for 5 more hours, and when you do you might wait 3-4 hours to get in--on average--and then you need a minimum of 30 minutes to find your campmates/choose a campsite and another hour to set up your tent while you're exhausted, and maybe . . . maybe you should just stop for the night.)

* surprise car repairs.

* speeding tickets ... if you're on tribal land, pay cash on the spot.

* the gas cap seems to be missing! but the gas station that "noticed this" will sell you one for $30!

* you forgot ______, ______, & ______. This happens to everyone. You will forget something. You may forget 5 or 10 somethings. A bedpillow, your cowboy hat, sunscreen, extra batteries, extra flashlights, a coat, socks, travel alarm, a camping cup . . . all your clothes. :wink: (But it's happened!)

And those are necessary things, if sometimes avoidable.

If you're like me, some other things will get you too . . .

One trip through a costume shop, army surplus store, sci-fi convention, bellydancing festival, thrift store or street fair and suddenly you have spent $200 on faux fur whatever, some tutus, 2 pairs of harem pants, some goofy animal slippers, new antlers, a tiara, 5 pairs of fishnet stockings, and actually, truly sensible things like high socks (so your dusty legs don't chafe under the boots) and battery powered lights (so you don't get mown down by art cars). Whoops.

(Never shop for costumes first. Just don't.)

Liquor isn't cheap either, if you drink. You'll think: okay, should pick up a couple of bottles of vodka, that's not so much . . . oh, but some cheap champagne for Burn Night . . . or breakfast mimosas with the neighbors. Hm . . . maybe some canned beer and mini bottles to give out . . . but I would also like to make Sidecars on Thursday afternoon . . .
Savannah

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm

:shock: Savannah!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Were you following me around the liquor store??? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I never forget my socks...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 pm

You guys kill me. :lol:
Savannah

Postby jcliff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:27 pm

The way to do it is to start now for next year. Burning Man costs are much more manageable if you space it out with small chunks. I get paid every 2 weeks and I kick about $50 per pay period toward Burning Man. Sometimes I just sock it away in an envelope to put towards my bigger purchases like ticket, airfare, booze and food and sometimes I purchase a needed item. Since the Burn I've purchased a Camelbak, a new pair of googles since mine were shot, a utility belt because I lost my old one and a few other misc. items that I found at good prices. The previous suggestion about creating your packing list now is a great one. It's really fun to check things off one by one, even small things like batteries and baby wipes. Last year my list was mostly complete by May (but I had much of it from previous years.)

Start now! You can do it!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 am

sea.kisses wrote:
essjay wrote:

Essjay makes a very good point, "How much camping gear do you own?"
If you have or can borrow most of it you'd be much better off.

But also, don't think of the camping gear as a one time buy, like liquor, the gear is an investment.

Also, find a way to car pool to share gas cost. For us, gas is one of the largest costs.
We will typically spend about $1k per person for EVERYTHING, except ticket. So probably about $1.3K all in all.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby britzbitz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Cost depends on where you're coming from. The closer you are, the cheaper it's going to be to get there.

In 2010, I rented an RV with 5 other people. I think our costs were something around $450 each for 12 days. That being said, even in the largest RV you can rent, it's kinda cramped with 6 people. But hey, that's what we could afford.

Gas, I lost track of. While I was sleeping, my crew decided to follow GPS (Wanda, that bitch!) instead of the map, and I was woken up to "Oh shit, where the fuck are we?" Turns our we were on some undetermined part of Wilammete Pass instead of the I5. After that point, I became the designated co-pilot. No sleep till' Burning Man! Anyway, I'll guess that we spent at least $500-$600 on gas, there and back. We'll call it $600…6 fills at $100 each.

Each of us probably spent $150 on groceries for week. $35-$100 on bikes (some of us bought bikes from Wal-Mart, some from the Reno Kiwanis. Coming from Canada and picking up the RV in Seattle, bringing bikes wasn't really an option for us). And I personally spent probably $150-$200 getting to Vancouver and back from Interior BC (most of our crew lived in Van, so I had a bit of additional travel to do).

So

Accom/Transport: $450
Gas: $84
Food: $150
Bike: $70
2010 Ticket: $210
Additional Travel: $200
Other costs (I'm sure I spent money on other shit): $200
Stays in cities on the way there & back (Seattle, Portland): $350

Total: $1730, from Nelson BC to Burning Man & back, 16 days. All in all, not too bad for two weeks away from home. There's a lot less fulfilling things that kind of money could be spent on.

One thing to note - we didn't have a camp fee at our camp. We were adopted by some kick ass people who even hooked us up with power, and didn't want a cent from us. But that's not common.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby essjay » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:42 pm

illy dilly wrote:But also, don't think of the camping gear as a one time buy, like liquor, the gear is an investment.

Yes. This is the hardest part if it is your first year, because you probably view it is a one-time thing. You will find that many eplayans are burner addicts and we know at this point in our lives that we will be at every burn we possibly can, and purchases then do become investments. It is much easier to buy something when you know that you will get use out of it at least one week of every year.

Because of this, burning man gets cheaper and cheaper each successive year in terms of costs for the necessary survival items and camp comforts. (Unfortunately, though, you still find ways to spend money on other things to make each year bigger and better than the last.)
essjay

Postby Cheyenne » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:36 pm

I spent the equivalent on $2000 getting to, being at and coming home from Burning Man. I live in Mid Wales, UK - my flight was the biggest investment - which is still sitting on my credit card!! That was £600 (or $1000) - next year we are going to be spending about the same amount on the RV as this year, as we are renting a smaller rig but for a longer period, namely so we don't have the stress of exodus, cleaning and return to LA all within 48 hours. Hopefully I will have more money in 2012 as I won't have a masters degree to write up (I passed btw), so more time to concentrate on my business.

I will probably expect to pay around $2500 in 2012, as I want to stay in the USA a bit longer than just under three weeks. I want to spend some time with my friends and do Pennsic war and meet some of my American customers before going to Cali.. so of course that will push the price up greatly too.

I suppose its just a case of how much you want to do during BM too... it can be done on a budget, but I found it restrictive in some ways and by the 2nd to last day in the USA, I was relying on my boyf to pay for everything :(

Its worth it in the end however...

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 pm

Cheyenne wrote: I won't have a masters degree to write up (I passed btw)

Hell yeah! Congratulations!!!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Cheyenne » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:53 pm

Cheers Illy, it was really taking it to the wire.. i submitted to my University 2 days before flying out to LA.. but it was worth a few sleepless nights... I'm now the proud owner of an MA in Prehistoric Landscapes Archaeology :)

I'm hoping to spend some time at the Nerds camp in 2012 as I didn't even manage it once this year! I missed ALL of the academic talks related to BM because I was wandering around like an idiot trying to take everything in

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:24 pm

Cheyenne wrote:an MA in Prehistoric Landscapes Archaeology :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheyenne wrote:I'm hoping to spend some time at the Nerds camp in 2012 as I didn't even manage it once this year! I missed ALL of the academic talks related to BM because I was wandering around like an idiot trying to take everything in

Good job!!!!
Thats how you're supposed to enjoy Burning Man! Shit, its vacation isn't it?
Plus you have you're MA, so really you can't do anything like an idiot.
illy dilly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:43 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Cheyenne wrote:an MA in Prehistoric Landscapes Archaeology :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Cheyenne wrote:I'm hoping to spend some time at the Nerds camp in 2012 as I didn't even manage it once this year! I missed ALL of the academic talks related to BM because I was wandering around like an idiot trying to take everything in

Good job!!!!
Thats how you're supposed to enjoy Burning Man! Shit, its vacation isn't it?
Plus you have you're MA, so really you can't do anything like an idiot.

I dunno, my sister has one of those old-fashioned MAs from Kings College Cambridge that you get for having a BA and paying a few quid five years later.

And if Bertie Wooster can get an Oxbridge BA, then, well, just about anyone can.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I dunno, my sister has one of those old-fashioned MAs from Kings College Cambridge that you get for having a BA and paying a few quid five years later.

And if Bertie Wooster can get an Oxbridge BA, then, well, just about anyone can.

I understand what your saying.... But, Damn- thats kinda jacked up.

Edit:
OK, after reconsidering the post, and Cryptofishist often sarcastic subtle humor. I realize now that it was a joke aimed at Bertie Wooster.
illy dilly

Postby teardropper » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:41 pm

lemur wrote:burning man is way too expensive.. dont go

Yeah..., like that'll work...

To the question: It's a little pricey, depending on where you are from, how you want to camp, if you have most of your gear...? I'd been to the Black Rock before I Burned and knew it could be a harsh place. So I bought an ancient motorhome. I have a working toilet, shower, kitchen and place to sleep. All the essentials (no air -- it never had it). Spend a little on it each year, but I've amortized the expense and it's now getting to be a little more affordable. (I was just going to sell it if I didn't like BM. Yeah.) But that's the first year. I keep adding stuff to my camp. Cost keeps going up. Year by year, spread out over that year so it doesn't all come at once. "How Much?" is a question with a difficult answer. So many variables, including distance traveled, how you get here, your comfort level once here...

After the first year I told my partner the next would be way cheaper -- 'cause we had everything needed. Doesn't work out that way, not for me at least. Because the true cost is spread out over a few years and this year's is spread out over the year, it is hard for me to know. I keep it that way. Do I want to know? I'd be curious. But I don't care and it wouldn't make any difference. Spend all year, pay cash so you can't track it or owe on it. Buy your ticket early so you KNOW you are going. If you take a vacation each year to, say Hawaii or Cozumel, you know, you go somewhere, well, you'll just go to BM instead.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby illy dilly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:35 pm

teardropper wrote:After the first year I told my partner the next would be way cheaper -- 'cause we had everything needed. Doesn't work out that way, not for me at least.

LOL!
Exact same. For us the cost seems to be going UP each year. And Sadly, it isn't in direct relation to rising gas prices. I'm sure that plays a role, but it doesn't account for how much it goes up each year.

I've come to the realization that I spend more money on Burning Man now, because I make more money now.
illy dilly

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Estimate the following:

1. Transportation to/from the playa
2. Food/water/beverages you will consume to/from/on the playa
3. Camp supplies including tentage, beddage, lighting, shade, chairs, etc
4. RV rental, if you're RV'ing plus gas
5. Clothing if you're buying anything special
6. Costumes if you plan on wearing any.
7. Misc personal items like sunscreen, lotions, camera, etc
8. Anything I've forgotten here...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:00 pm

dragonpilot wrote:Estimate the following:

9. Party favors
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:20 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:Estimate the following:

9. Party favors

Yeah, but how much can some silly hats & streamers cost?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lemur » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:21 pm

party favors means illegal drugs.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Next